Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 03:40PM

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/04/10/bringing-back-salt-lake-memories/

Excerpt below:

When we lived in Salt Lake City, I remember the General Conferences as the times when a news blackout fell over the state. The local newspapers would all run big front page stories on the most tedious pablum: “SENILE OLD MAN SPEAKS FOR TWO HOURS ON HOW WE SHOULD BE NICE”. The LDS leadership was (is) all these older conservative fellows in the same dark suits who took themselves very seriously, and all the news organizations were expected to report in detail everything that was said…not that they ever said anything of any interest or importance whatsoever. It was the time of the year that felt closest to living in North Korea — although, of course, the LDS church never subscribed to purging undesirables with flamethrowers. No violence, just state-enforced veneration of the blandest boringest bureaucrats of the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 10, 2014 03:43PM

From the comments:

There is a certain cadence and tone that all of the general conference speakers employ, have you noticed? It’s incredibly bland, probably almost hypnotic for some people. It certainly projects confidence, but a sort of tired confidence. It’s weird. I think, having grown up Mormon, I could identify a general conference talk even that I had never heard before with about a two-sentence recording. They just all sound the same, even if the content were entirely different (which it’s not, but…)

Date: April 10, 2014 03:53PM

PZ Myers comments on his own post:

"It’s not just weird, it’s creepy. It was sort of strange to see this blanket of smug reverence fall over all the media and see nothing but General Conference ‘news’ put front and center."

Date: April 11, 2014 11:58AM

From the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPi4buduY0

"if you haven’t seen it already, google “How General Authorities Eat Their Reeses.” The guy doing it really has their specific cadences and ways of addressing the topic down pat. It is very funny in a horrifying way."

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:59PM

OMG! Laughing my ass off! This guy mocks them so well.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 12:16PM

Man that is awesome. I love it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 06:46PM

I think part of the bland white bread delivery is on purpose, to lull the listener into thinking that bland is beautiful; "Don't get your hopes up, this is as good as it gets" Can you imagine a Baptist style barn-burning sermon at GC? Can you imagine the MT Choir belting out a REAL rocking gospel tune?

We wouldn't want LDS members streaming out and dancing in the streets of Salt Lake City dancing and praising Jeeeezus, with real heartfelt emotion, would we?

Date: April 11, 2014 07:31PM

One of the worst aspects of the geriatric mormon speaking style at General Conference is the attempt at humor. Once in awhile an apostle of the lord will try to insert a little levity, fail in an epic way, and then be greeted with rolling laughter from the audience.

Ugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.