Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:22AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:22AM

Nah...I just yell ELDERS! :)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:23AM

Nah, I have nothing against individual missionaries.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:34AM

What about individual KKK members?

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:43AM

Um, that's not quite the same thing.

Half of those missionaries are future ex-mormons. A lot of people who post here were missionaries once. I don't think they're bad people (well, most of them). A lot of them might not be there if they knew the church's history. They're victims of the church, they're trapped, remember how we used to feel when we were mormons?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:47AM

Individual KKK members are pretty aware of what they belong to and what's really going on in the KKK, and they are individually full of hate and bigotry. While some are simply the product of their upbringing and will hopefully put it behind them someday, theirs is an active hatred.

Individual missionaries are brainwashed kids who think they are out doing good, who want to give service, and who will be more likely led out of the church with gentle questioning and education than with abuse (which only builds a persecution complex).

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:27AM

No, but I had someone yell, "Down with the Jehovah's witnesses!!" from a moving car at my companion and me when I was on my mission. So we gave them a thumbs up.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 11:50AM

Nope. Been on a mission, so I know that they'd only see it as a "faith promoting" incident, that they're being "persecuted" for their faith.

Walking in a mall, I found myself heading right for two elders one time, though. So I strode right up to them, stuck out my hand, said, "Hi Elders!," then proceeded to give them the final temple secret handshake, while saying, "Health to your navel..."

The shocked look on their faces was priceless :)
I just walked away after and left them speechless.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 11:51AM

No.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 04:11PM

Unless they happen to be bad drivers. I do yell them.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:06PM

No. Why would I?

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:09PM

No. I would never do that.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:14PM

No of course not. That's just too tacky and rude.

Why be abusive to anyone ?? What does that say about you?

Rid yourself of negativity if it rules your life. There is no peace of happiness in that state of mind.
Be appreciative and grateful for your life! It's too short to spend it hurting others or being angry, bitter, hateful.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:16PM

Never. That's juvenile.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:21PM

Don't be mean. They don't know any better...yet.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:22PM

Good God! Are you a 13 year old boy? Or just an a--hole?

Posted by: BeerAtMoessers ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:22PM

I served a mission. I know what it's like. I saw some missionaries in Taco Bell a few months back and I went over and gave them $20 and told them lunch was on me.

Posted by: Swordfish Mk.I ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:23PM

Just yesterday my wife and were lost in an unfamiliar town, and I was getting more and more pissed of by the minute, as the instructions we were giving sent us off the wrong direction and made us later and later to our event.

I saw a couple of mishies at a crosswalk, turned to my wife and said "If you run those guys over, maybe I'll feel better."

Seriously, though, if I'm close enough to talk to them, I'll assume they aren't getting quite enough money from home, and ask them how they're doing right before I hand them a 20 and say: "Treat yourself to some frozen yogurt."

The shock as they see this obviously *not* TBM long-haired, scraggly-bearded old bastard behind the sunglasses hand them a dead president is priceless.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:00PM

That is so sweet. Those kids are somebody's sons or daughters. Kindness. Kindness.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:25PM

No...I wouldn't do that to the poor suckers. They probably got coerced and or threatened with GAWD knows what if they didn't go....so they don't need more grief from the likes of me.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:38PM

Absolutely NOT !

But one time, I saw two missionaries walking down Hwy 64 outside of Memphis when I was visiting the city, and it was about 100+ degrees outside. They had the hot sun beaming down on them.

Nobody lived in this area - it was sort of urban-rural - and I knew whereever they were walking, they had a long way to walk to get there.

So I turned around and stopped in front of them, and offered them a ride in my air conditioned car.

I don't care what the mission rules are, two hot, tired young elders gladly climbed in the back seat of a car with only one passenger - a 40 something year old lady.

They asked me to drive them to their apartment - 4 MILES AWAY from where I picked them up!

They would have had to walk 4 more miles in hot, humid southern summer sun if I hadn't stopped to offer them a lift.

I hate the missionary program - but I respect the young men and women that get swept into it.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:54PM

Why would you yell out anything to anyone from your car? That sort of childishness is only funny to a 12 year old.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 01:02PM

No but this was very common to happen to me as a missionary, even had a couple of drivers run me off the road

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 01:11PM

Never, that's not cool.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 01:54PM

Never. They're just kids who were mostly pressured to go on a mission. There is a missionary apartment in the neighborhood, so I'll sometimes see them on their bikes, or shopping on their P-day. I just treat them the same way as I would treat anyone riding a bike, I watch out for them when I'm driving and give them plenty of room as they should be able to go home without any injuries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 01:58PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:00PM

of course not! i dont want to ruin someones day with hate, even if they ruin people's day with ignorance and blind obedience.
i would feel really bad if i ever did that : /

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:03PM

I'm not a person who yells unless there's a life threatening emergency.

If they refuse to leave my porch or if they block my path, I'd tell them to "back off or else." Then I'd call security or turn on the hose.

I can't feel that sorry for missionaries. I didn't cause the problems they let their parents and church foist on them. I wouldn't give them money because that just supports the system of abuse the church, parents, and wards want them to suffer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 02:04PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:03PM

I try to avoid being a hate filled jerk to kids who are doing what they have been told s God's will.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 04:08PM

No, I will wave.

When ever I drive past a more building I yell "It's a cult, get out!" But that is a building not a person.

Maybe I will start yelling "Helen Mar Kimble" or something like that.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 04:23PM

No way I would ever do that, and I was born in Noo Yawk (referencing the "yous guys" in the OP's post).

I fed a missionary once, and have given hand warmer packs to them in pairs if I saw them freezing on the streets.

I have given them some good advice about keeping their passports on them, in a foreign country or two.

I have, however, filled people in on what LDS missionaries REALLY have told them, when they investigate; I have sat across from them while they attempted to pull in my mentally ill nephew and translated Mormon speak to human speak for him, and I have also told foreigners who acted like I was their pet American, what was up with these people who keep ringing their doorbell.

I am a neverMo, but grew up in a neighborhood literally swarming with them and once had a Mo boyfriend.

Who went on a mission and dumped me for a MollyMo the minute he got back, since I told him I would not convert.

And some young friends of mine converted and now wish they could get the hell out, but are afraid of upsetting too many family and workplace apple carts. They are really having a hard time of it and feel guilty, gullible and angry. It's very sad to see.

I have an axe to grind, in a way. But, I would never hurt some poor, hungry, uninformed kids struggling to make sense of their lives and of a church that has let them down.

Who does that?!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 04:50PM

No way, man. No way.

When people did that to me it made me feel like I was doing the right thing and Satan was fighting against me.

Funny enough, when people shouted encouragement at me on the mission it made me feel embarrassed.

So take from that what you will...

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 05:41PM

I never yell anything at them.

I just throw eggs.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 05:44PM

Eh, nah. Why?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 05:48PM

I like to wave to them and smile. Just for that one good memory of a nice old hippie guy. They usually look confused at first, and then they smile and wave back. Another sunny day in California.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 05:51PM

Good point. What they are doing is spreading lies and falsehoods and promoting the cult beliefs.

Missionaries might be naive but, the message they are sending is wrong.

Simply stated: It is abusive to all who join.

It might shock the hell out of them upon hearing it but, some people actually wake up on their missions and discover the TSCC is a big bag of dog poo.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 06:42PM

I doubt it'll shock them. When I was a missionary I thought it was hilarious. I was never offended and it usually made my day that someone cared enough about me to yell.

That might be a good argument FOR yelling though...

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 05:52PM

It would be far better to yell at a mission president, stake prez, or bishops.

These kids are out there, lonely, and dirt poor, because a culture they did not choose is forcing them.

Please give them a break. They are someone's kid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.