Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pied piper ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:29PM

Mine would be Woodstock bourbon and cola , Heineken beer and since Im a kiwi Steinlager pure makes my list hah so whats yours? all you word of wisdom law breakers LOL!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:36PM

Beer: pale ale, IPA, brown ale . . . and many more. I also like moonshine: the stuff made for public consumption (20%, etc.)

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:39PM

Beer. Don't actually like wine or most liquors. I guess vodka and rum are the only liquors I ever have, and those are fairly rare.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:41PM

Malaca Martinis with a twist stuck with a clove, set on a white linen tablecloth between friends.

A Sidecar on the bar, glowing from the late afternoon sun streaming thought the windows to make it glow as the crowd waits for their table.

A glass of Macrostie Wildcat Mountain Chardonnay in my garden when the sun has set just enough that only the tops of the trees are still lit and the hawks are still soaring.

And a good red.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:44PM

It has to be bourbon

Top Shelf:
Buffalo Trace
Maker's Mark
Bulleit

Bottom Shelf:
Ancient Age
Colonel Lee

Mixers:
Coca Cola
Ginger Ale

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:46PM

Rum and Coke.
Zinfandel red wines.
Amber ale (Squatter's in Utah makes a good one)

Not a fan of Heineken, but that may be because it's always one of the few beers available on KLM, so I always associate it with long flights.

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 09:41PM

If you haven't done so already, you should try the nut brown ale from Moab brewery . . . squeaky bike, or something like that, is the name, but it's a brown ale.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:47PM

Hefeweizen, Witbier. A little rye, preferably Sazerac.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:48PM

Hennessey. Neat.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:50PM

I am cutting back on all alcoholic beverages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 10:53AM by sistertwister.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:52PM

Rum and Coke...except that I haven't had rum (except in tiramisu and in See's rum nougats ;) ) since I worked for Litton Industries (I made circuit boards for inertial navigation systems)...

...and I haven't had a Coke (I was once one of the world's most passionate devotees of Coca-Cola) for about twelve years now because I used to be a Coke-a-holic and it was doing VERY bad things to my body. (For a few years afterwards I transitioned to Hansen's Natural Colas from Whole Foods...and then I just gradually never drank any colas since. It's been probably five or six years now since I have had ANY kind of cola--even the Whole Foods-approved kind.)

But I still REMEMBER rum and Coke!!! :)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:56PM

What did coke do to your body may I ask....weight issue, nervousness, what?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:29PM

honestone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did coke do to your body may I ask....weight
> issue, nervousness, what?

I was in really bad shape when I started to transition off of Coca-Cola because I used to drink Coke instead of water (which is a really not good thing to do), and when I had important deadlines to meet, I would--for the duration, which could be maybe three weeks or so, depending on the project--more or less "live" on Coke and organic popcorn with melted organic butter on top. :0 Do not do this!!! You will NOT like the results!!!

Yes, I did gain weight, and I also developed brand new acne that shouldn't have happened (and vanished after I stopped drinking Coke and eating too many fats in general--even if, by themselves, they were "good" fats).

I was also developing skin tags (those little "things" of just skin that stick up), and I had blood sugar problems (which was a real concern because my Mom had had diabetes when she was growing up, and my first husband--who is now deceased--had HUGE Type I diabetes instability for all of his adult life).

I was also getting all kinds of weird colds, flus, coughing fits, etc. that I NEVER got before--and we found out that the "caramel coloring" in Coca-Cola (and most cola drinks) was originally PATENTED as an immune system depressant: a 12-ounce Coke will lower your immune response by 25% in the four hours following the time you drink it.

I had doctors repeatedly telling me that my Coke consumption was leaching calcium out of my bones and teeth, and that I REALLY needed to either drastically limit my intake, or else cut it out entirely.

And it WAS adding to anxiety, sleeplessness, etc. (which was bad, because the end years of my "Coke years" was a time of high financial instability and stress for me, and Coke--which I used to drink from morning to night to get through--was NOT helping...it was making it all MUCH worse!).

But the thing that was MOST bothersome was that I started itching incredibly everywhere, but especially on my legs. I was scratching myself bloody (even when I was sound asleep) because my skin itched so much, and I could NOT stop scratching. I used to be close to screams AND tears of frustration because my skin--all over my body--itched SO much).

When we started researching Coca-Cola (I was really loyal to this particular brand...because of the advertising I grew up with, I actually used to feel patriotic drinking it! :D ), we started finding out all of these things. (There are more, but these were the ones that were affecting me.)

So I started transitioning away from actual Coca-Cola and used the Hansen's Natural Sodas, in the cola flavor, as my crutch through what had become a fairly ferocious Coca-Cola dependency. (I do think that I was probably "addicted" to it during that period of time.)

I switched to Hansen's cola, tapering off all the while, for about two or three years, and then I realized that I didn't need cola of any kind anymore.

The last cans of Hansen's sat in our refrigerator for about four years before I finally emptied them into the sink and put the empty cans into our recycling dumpster in early July, 2011.

I would never, ever go back to drinking any kind of cola--for me, I think it would be just too easy to get all of the bad things started again, and absolutely NOTHING is worth THAT!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 08:35PM by tevai.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:08PM

Unbelievable!!

I had heard horror stories about coke and how it's used for cleaning battery acid off your car battery -- but, all the side effects sound terrible.

Glad you're okay!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:55PM

Rum and coke....sometimes a Long Island Iced Tea.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:14PM

Tequila, Long Island ice teas, red wine, beer, hell, whatever.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:15PM

I tend to find something new that I like, drink that for a period and then go looking for something new. For a while I was enamored with a Grapefruit Hefeweizen, not really a beer since it was 50% fruit juice, but still good.

My old standbys are Heineken, New Castle Ale, and Becks.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:30PM

Be kind, just give me a frosty coors light.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:42PM

Beer & it's derivatives, single malt scotch, dark rum (the darker, the better), wine and some liqueurs.

Ron Burr

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:46PM

Beer. But I also like wine and some liquors.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 09:50PM

Riunite Lambrusco, Kahlua Mudslide.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 10:42PM

Like 7/7 and Coors beer in the bottle.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 10:58PM

Its that or their Caramel Bock.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:31PM

Free.

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:47PM

Cuba Libre (Coke, Bacardi Rum, and lime juice) Usually paired with a Mexican chicken dish.

Screw Driver (Absolut Vanilla Vodka and Florida's Best Orange Juice)

Red Wine (Merlot) paired with steak or gourmet burger

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 12:14AM

Citrus martini - grapefruit, lime, lemon, simple syrup, vodka
Riesling
Tequila cosmopolitan
Gin and tonic
Sidecar with clove laced sugar on the rim
Basil Gimlet
Rapberry Lambic
....these are a few of my favorite drinks....

The sad part is I've had to drink a lot of gross drinks to get a list of good ones! Luckily DH will ususally finish off the gross ones for me :)

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 12:23AM

Irish whiskey and craft beer, especially IPAs.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:28AM

Rum and Coke. I also like Redd's Apple Ale and Provo Girl Pilsner, which is a Utah brew that I rarely have the chance to partake of but is really good and cracks me up, since I'm a BYU grad. If you are in Utah, I highly recommend picking up a 6-pack.

Posted by: shareesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:45AM

White Russians. Chock full of calories, though. It's like a dessert in a cup that gets you a buzz going. Most delicious.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:58AM

For me nothing beats a vodka martini with two big plump olives. When I am with Deaf friends and use signs as communication I always make sure that I ask for a regular glass so I don't knock it over. I hate those long stem glasses that they serve martinis in.

Posted by: Sunbeam ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 11:00AM

Gin and tonic with a frozen chunk of melon mingled in the ice. (watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew etc) yummy

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:12PM

Posted by: takafumi ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:13PM

Sapphire Gin with a twist of lemon, shaken. Don't drink much but it's a heavenly treat.

As for beer... I like several, but my absolute favorite is Hacker-Pschorr Weisse. An amazing hefeweizen that I can only find in Chicago. Highlight of every trip I make there.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 02:53PM

prefer my drinks neat or sometimes on the rocks
1) cognac
2) calvados
3) canadian rye whiskey

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:06PM

I love Black Russians. Vodka and Khalua.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:11PM

I do not drink anymore, but used to a little too much.

I was a beer drinker, Budweiser.

The absolute best drink in the world, in my opinion, is a well made margarita.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:12PM

I prefer a nice wine over just about anything else.

Never had much of a taste, although a Shock Top Belgian White or 6 on a hot summer's day is beautifully refreshing.

When it comes to mixed drinks, I love a good long island iced tea.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:13PM

I like froo froo cocktails like pink ladies and lemon drops :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:35PM

Usually I drink Franzia boxed white wine- Economical, refreshing, relaxing, and tastes fine. Don't let the wine snobs fool you. On Sundays, I have a ritual of mixing sparkling wine with pineapple or cranberry juice as a celebration of my free Sundays, both from working and the Morg.

If I'm in the mood for a cocktail, it could be anything, but I really enjoy a Club Kink- Kinky liqueur and lemon/lime club soda.

In the winter, I love a hot white chocolate with Rumchata and/or amaretto, Kahlua, Disaronno...

In the spring/summer, I make my own infused vodkas with fruit, add pink lemonade mix, club soda, and I have myself a damn good hard lemonade.

Then there's beer and ciders...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:59PM

Palomas

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.