Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ridiculous ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 04:07PM

Has it been your experience that some of the most die-hard TBMs are not willing to discuss/defend the wackier parts of TSCC doctrine, but will go to the mat to defend it as a culture?

BIC spouse seems to lean this way -- chapel mormon, and not terribly well-versed in any aspect of doctrine. Pat sunday school answers have been memorized for years, but there is no desire to know more than what is presented in the very shallow, correlated lessons. How can one believe or know that something is right, without knowing what that "something" is?

For me, a solid belief in the doctrine is *the* reason for belonging to a particular faith. I don't understand devoting one's entire life (10% income, bulk of your free time, etc.) to an organization, and then deliberately keeping yourself from knowledge of what that organization stands for or represents.

Spouse & I went to discuss my doctrinal issues with local leader(s). (trying to keep this anon -- screw you, SCMC) I was advised over & over again to focus on the simplicity of the gospel -- basically, ignore all the crazy stuff and still attend & cut us a check every month. This is a great place to raise your kids, great programs, etc. It was basically a sales-pitch with the cultural aspects emphasized and the doctrinal aspects completely swept under the rug. it's like they don't WANT you to know or understand their doctrine....

(FWIW, I ended the meeting by emphasizing my belief that there's a special place in hell for men who treat women the way JS did, and for the leaders of a "church" that pushes poor families to donate their last dime while building a $5billion shopping mall & sending GA's kids/grandkids to church colleges with that money.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.