Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:44AM

I followed GC only here on RFM.

I'm just kind of curious, for those of you who did indeed follow GC, was there any mention of "Hastening The Work"? It was a big deal earlier.

I'm kind of excited to see the stats in April 2015. The age change was part of "HTW" (seems similar to 'WTF') and that happened in Oct 2012, so we should see all the results of this brilliant marketing campaign by end of this year, right?

Are they still spouting it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:43AM

LDS fuel is HYPE; they think they'll Never run out.

the contents Don't Matter to the GAs, strictly immaterial, irrelevant, inconsequential.

Date: October 11, 2014 01:35PM

Don't EVER expect to see a significant/honest evaluation of the impact/effectiveness of past 'programs', they're ONLY Buzz-Words.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 01:48PM

The "Hastening" has been postponed indefinitely.

Posted by: Swordfish Mk.I ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 01:58PM

As someone mentioned here recently, the term "latter-day" is becoming less and less relevant as we get further away from the 19th century and Millenium "End of the World" preparation & predictions, so why even call themselves Latter-day Saints?

Hastening the Work of getting tithe-paying members is more like it.

Date: October 11, 2014 02:15PM

It seems... the GAs (think they) need a catchy phrase to attract the sheeple to attend meetings, (including GC), pay tithing, etc.

Who's got the Hype-ometer this week?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:21PM

Well troothfully all I heard was hastening the Jerk.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:37PM

Levi,

I just went through the Lds.org text of every general conference talk from five sessions (Sat and Sun) for the recent October 2014 GC.

The word “hastening” was NOT used (spoken) in any talk.
The phrase “Hastening the Work of Salvation” was NOT used (spoken) in any talk.
The word salvation was used in 4 or 5 talks pertaining to: spiritual salvation, the plan of salvation, etc, BUT not the new historic PR catch phrase.

The term “Hastening the Work of Salvation” was inaugurated at the June 23, 2013 roll-out of the new missionary program. Details were made and reported here:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,933071,933071#msg-933071

Isn’t it interesting that something coined as ‘historic’ received NO MENTION in general conference 16 months later? I suspect it is due to the failure of the program to generate the excitement for TBMs to reactivate in-active members. Excitement = zero.

Even the stake president of the San Jose California South Stake (President Lee Green) voiced his true feelings about the program during a Stake Conference Priesthood Leadership Meeting (Jan 18, 2014) saying:

"… The big problem with Hastening the Work of Salvation is if you do it as an ASSIGNMENT you will HATE IT and it will BECOME A THORN IN YOUR SIDE. You have to want to do it and love it for it to become rewarding.” (emphasis in caps, mine) http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1183224,1184019#msg-1184019

That says it all, IMO.

Posted by: Scully1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 04:04PM

Nice work Jiminycricket. I was curious about this too, and checked back in on the thread for a researched answer.

It is such an odd phrase, hastening the work, and I am surprised not one of the talks invoked it again after all the hoopla.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 04:35PM

Thanks for checking. That's a lot of drivel for you to have gone through.

Looks like another failed prophetic program.

Come on, Jesus, get your guys together.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:26PM

I was just at dinner with a TBM family, full-on kool aid drinkers. They said they were surprised that there was no mention of "Hastening the Work" in conference.

The reason the husband gave: because they are going back to "fundamentals" so that we will be ready for "The Hastening" because it is going to be BIG!

The wife's explanation: The LORD is hastening his work. We've been warned, and now we will not get any more warnings. If you aren't with us against us and all that twaddle.

I had truly forgotten how delusional and insulated TBMs are from reality.

Very interesting.

The work is SLOWING. No one is buying the HASTENING talk.

Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:30PM

So sorry you have to sit through dinners like that. I think I would have to slap people up the side of the head if I had to go to dinners like that!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:42PM

I'm thinking the "hastening" has been a huge flop. If anything it put the machine in reverse. Lots of kids coming home early from missions. Nobody joining up. people researching mormonism online and leaving the church. The only thing being hastened is parade of people going away from mormonism.

I think the catch phrase makes the leadership cringe. It draws attention to what a farce that whole idea was. It causes people to think about the opposite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.