Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:06PM

E. Gordon Gee, President of West Virginia University and formerly president of Brown, Vanderbilt, and Ohio State Universities (where he resigned after making disparaging remarks about catholics and polish folks), made the following statement after the state of West Virginia lifted its ban on gay marriage earlier this week:

“I would like to congratulate Gov. Tomblin on his bold and declarative statement today agreeing with the courts that banning same-sex marriages is unconstitutional,” Gee said. “It is a thoughtful reminder to our campus community – regardless of your beliefs – that we must always respect people’s differences and promote a campus climate that promotes opportunity, equality, civility and respect for all.”

Wonder how long it will be (or even if) he will be called on the carpet by the brethern for dissemninating views contrary to the LDS church's recently released "inspired" statement against marriage equality

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:01PM

And I wonder what pressures put upon him made him clearly change his mind on the issue?

Aside...why oh why is it that mormons love to use the first initial-middle name thing? E. Gordon Lee -- I would have guessed he was mormon without knowing a thing about him!

Posted by: Brother of jerry nli ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 04:08PM

There was not a shred of evidence in the OP that indicated he had changed his mind. Why do you state that he clearly changed his mind? He may not have agreed with LDS Inc for some time on the issue. I doubt all the GAs are even in agreement.

Posted by: darac ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:27PM

Gee is very interested in keeping a soft, easy, academic job with a huge salary. In this case, going along with tscc might have cost him big time. He knows which side his academic bread is buttered on; universities today will not allow deviation from left-wing belief systems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.