Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 08:10PM

I had car trouble and was obliged to walk a distance as a pedestrian. The mormons refuse to stop for pedestrians when you clearly have the right of way. If you get in their way, they give you the finger. When you are driving, they ride your bumper while they are looking down and texting. They take huge risks, weaving through traffic to be the first car to the red light. If you signal to move over one lane, they floor their gas pedal to keep you from getting in front of them. I've already met the mormons and they suck.... big time. Mormonism is a culture of rudeness. Why would anyone in their right mind want to belong to the mormon church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 08:15PM

+1
Utah drivers suck.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:35PM

Clearly, you haven't been to Kentucky.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 08:36PM

I second the "Utah drivers suck" statement.

I lived in SLC for one year... holey crap..
They are worse then Portland or Charlotte any day.

Date: October 11, 2014 08:50PM

Teaching by example, I guess. I really think the "up yours" entitled attitude has some relationship to the cult psychology of the mormon religion but can't nail it down exactly. Nobody ever learned the mormons proper respect and manners.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 09:25PM

They live in a culture of fake imperatives, fake urgency, and their own fake importance. Most of the time they don't feel that other people exist. And for them, feelings are the most substantial thing in the universe.

Next time, get out of their way!

Date: October 11, 2014 09:56PM

A friend, who is a California Highway Patrol officer, said of Utah drivers: "They drive like they think they are the only ones on the road". I guess that means they live in their own little self-important world. Every other driver/pedestrian is just an unimportant piece of crap that is "in their way".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 10:06PM by wastedtime.

Date: October 11, 2014 10:08PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 10:08PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:29PM

interesting.
"they worship they they are the only church in the world" is also something that comes to mind...

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 09:59PM

Don't let the facts get in your way here.

Everybody think their state has the worst drivers. In reality, Utah generally places near the bottom of the list on states ranked by worst drivers.

IE, here. 50th worst out of 51 states (or, the inverse, second-best).
http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/which-states-have-the-worst-drivers/

In any case, only about 1/3 - 1/4 of the drivers on the road at any given time are TBM.

There's no difference between what you're doing and other less fashionable forms of bigotry, like the notion that Asians can't drive or that Hispanics don't insure their cars.

Date: October 11, 2014 10:11PM

Nope, but thanks for taking the time to correct me. It's apparent that you are well versed on all subjects.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:17PM

I find that those who defend Utah drivers the most are those who drive exactly like the Utah drivers I complain about...my husband included.

Date: October 12, 2014 02:59PM

I know. I have mentioned in conversation that Utah drivers are bad and people from Utah say: "Yeah, they're terrible. They are always getting in my way when I'm in a hurry!". Yep. That person is delusional and part of the problem.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:43PM

Having a fairly low accident rate doesn't mean the drivers aren't "bad."
That probably speaks more to the fact that most of Utah's roads are rural and uncrowded -- where you can drive horribly and not necessarily get in an accident -- than it does to the quality of their driving.

Stupid, nasty, unyielding, and agressive driving don't *always* mean a higher accident rate...especially when your roads are magnitudes less crowded than, say, California.

Date: October 12, 2014 02:54PM

Standing and cheering!!!

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:31PM

In my state it's not the other drivers ya have to watch out for, it's the deer and moose and porcupines and snow and ice and fallen rocks and all sorts of other things.
lol on a lot of my drives i really dont see that many other drivers. which is kinda nice :)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:06PM

I learned to drive on the California freeways. In high school Driver's Education, we were taught to always allow other cars to merge IN FRONT of you. Super-crowded freeways run smoothly on this principle.

In Utah, whenever we get caught in a traffic jam that comes to a dead stop, we always say, "There must be a merge ahead." It was always the case--relatively simple one-lane merge would stop traffic, because Utah drivers would rather die than let someone in ahead of them! I've been almost pushed into a retaining wall, and I have been stopped from merging right, onto my off ramp. Utah drivers take it personally. They think you want to get in front of them, like its a race, or you want to take their space on the freeway, because there isn't enough room for everyone. This is how they live their lives. The truth is, we just have somewhere we need to go, that's all.

It's our road, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 11:07PM by forestpal.

Date: October 12, 2014 12:58PM

forestpal,

+++ 1,000,000

I had to go retrieve a car this morning that died on me yesterday in a 25mph residential neighborhood. The white shirts were screaming by at breakneck speeds. I'm 99.9% sure they were all mormons. One guy in a minivan was pushing 60mph. I once heard a BYU social sciences professor say that he thought the mormons feel so constrained in most areas of their lives that they go absolutely nuts when they get on the road. He made this comment because he was on his way to a church conference the previous Sunday, and he was blown away by the crazy aggressive driving of the other mormons driving around him.

You used the word "merge" and that reminded me of something else. They are always in a manic hurry, yet they will sit at an intersection waiting to make a right turn for several minutes until EVERY car goes by. This when there is a nice long merge lane available. They are in a huge hurry yet they have absolutely zero clue or skills on how to merge smoothly or even how to use a merge lane.

I also learned to drive in a California metropolitan area. I wish we could bring some California officers to Utah. Their fingers and wrists would be sore from writing tickets. I'm not a big fan of tickets, but this is ridiculous (I haven't gotten a ticket in a long long time - knock on wood). I was nearly taken out by a guy blowing through a red light this morning. They DO NOT stop at stop signs. They blow right through stop signs and only hit the brakes if forced to avoid crashing into an oncoming car.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:32AM

Having driven a lot in Los Angeles and also Utah there is no comparison. In L.A., when you signal to change lanes the car in the next lane slows and allows you to merge in front of them. In Utah when you signal, the car will speed up and not allow you in.

Most Utah drivers don't get how freeway driving works. They seem too competitive for their "space".

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:23PM

That's true about LA, as I learned to drive on the freeways as you basically have to, and most drivers let you merge when needed. The only times I've seen a car speed up and not let me merge, they had Utah plates.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:34AM

I swear they look at my car and know that I am a member of Satan's Apostate Club and the game is on (hey, I AM NOT PARANOID and no, I do not have a bumper sticker that gives the finger to Mormons).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:11PM

Hitchhiking can be a full contact sport here in southern Alberta too. I've tried to catch a ride back to my truck when I've had a breakdown and I might as well have been wearing an "I FUCKING HATE MORMONS" t shirt.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 01:13PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: October 12, 2014 01:23PM

Agreed. Most of them won't stop or try to help. I can understand the fear to a point, like maybe a woman not stopping to help a man, but it's more than that. Maybe they couldn't stop to help because they were hurrying to church to learn how to be like Jesus.

I was pissed one day, stuck in the snow, as everyone drove by. Then a sweet cute young buxom girl stopped and helped me push the car. That made my head spin.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:14AM

Did you get the cute busty girl's phone # or e-mail?

Posted by: Robert Hall ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:22PM

Not only bad drivers but(and this is more than just Mormons) - why do people climb into a vehicle with windows all the way around and think NO ONE can see them picking their nose?

Date: October 12, 2014 01:31PM

Yep! Those are the windows of invisibility. No one can see through them but the driver.

I can see through them though. I have special glasses. I can also look in my rear view mirror and see their heads bobbing up and down as they look down and text. I can also see their phone through their back window and then I hypothesize that the reason they are still sitting at a light 10 seconds after it has turned green is because they are texting. Texting while driving should really really be illegal.......oh wait....it is.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:13PM

utah drivers are bad, as nearly 40 years of driving in Utah has shown me. But, for those of you outside of Utah dont sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back. I have driven completely across this country multiple times and seen plenty of horrible driving all over it. Your state may have better drivers on average, but that doesnt mean YOU are on of them :)

Driving in Utah has gotten exponentially worse with the broad use of cell phones. I have noticed two things that this impacts - often the people on the phone are going 10 miles an hour slower than they need to, and they seem to ride in a cluster. I think this behavior then tends to force the rest of us to drive more aggressively to get away from these people. I hate "fighting" to be the first one to a red light, but when three people in front of you are so busy texting that only two cars make it through a light cycle that should have had 10 cars go through it, you either spend twice as long on your commute or you start driving like an @sshole.

My message for all of Americas drivers is this:

Get the fuck off your phone!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:26PM

I agree that cell phones has made driving more dangerous, and it's not just a Utah thing.

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:15PM

For those of you who have been other places than Utah, you know Utah drivers aren't the worst.

I grew up in Southern CA. People seemed to be pretty decent drivers. Recent experience makes me agree with that assessment. Germans are also very good. That's because they are well organized and like to follow the rules. You will get a ticket for hanging out in the fast lane. I wish we had that here.

I've lived in other states and other countries. Living in the Seattle area, I would say that people are worse drivers than Utah, especially in any kind of weather. I mean really, it rains a lot in Seattle. You'd think people would have figured out how to drive in it by now. And if it snows? Forget about it! People abandon their cars everywhere. Small roads, main roads, I-90. No, I am not kidding.

But I will say that the worst I've experienced is where we are now. NY and NJ drivers are the worst. Most have no kind of driver training at all. Yeah, you're supposed to get 50 hours of road time with your learners' permit, before you get your full license, but it's on the honor system. Regardless, if your parents are bad drivers, and they do the teaching, well, you just learned all of their bad habits.

One example - I have a neighbor who lived in the city her whole life. Never bothered to get a license. Moved out here about 15 years ago. 7 years after that, decided it was too hard to live without a license. I am guessing driving skills are really imprinted on your neurons when you're 16, because she never picked it up. You really don't want to be around when she's driving. I'm guessing her husband taught her - he's just as bad.

Another example - Hasidic drivers. You see, these people believe they are God's chosen. So they are not too worried about how they drive. Ultra high speed, no signals, no mirror usage, etc. You can see this by how their cars look - trashed.

And the phones? I agree. Here, the popular thing to do is hold the phone up and yell into it - while you're driving. (This is a subset of the NY/NJ behavior to put your phone on speaker, loud volume, and share your conversation with everyone - you see this all over the place).

Yeah, Utah isn't great for drivers, but it's better than a lot of places.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:33PM

My brother just moved to SLC and is shocked by how aggressive the drivers are there. He said he's been flipped off by a mom with 6 kids in the back seat. Nice.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:14PM

They are BAD on the road....They are bad as neighbors....THEY ARE BAD...BAD...BAD PEOPLE!!!

My son took a drivers ED class from school last year, only to fail the last road test because of RUDE morons...
I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but knowing how RUDE these people are, and he actually told us what happened when he took the test with one driver trying to intimidate him! Oh yeah, the other RUDE driver knew he was a student driver because the cars from school are MARKED "student driver"!!!

Yes, I've MET the morons and does not want to have anything to do with them!!!

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:16PM

Reading this I said to myself, "I bet this person is from Utah" because I live in Utah and that's exactly how people drive here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.