Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: boogles84 ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 12:11PM

Driving over to Lancaster for work a couple of weeks back, I drove past the Preston temple, and I got to thinking that all culty stuff aside, the building and the grounds are beautiful places and that if I had no idea what went on inside then I would consider the place to be rather magnificent.

It made me kinda sad because what it is after all the buildup etc is a really big disappointment. For me this is what sums up the experience - disappointment. No angelic ministries, no godly experiences, just a film and some rituals.

Did/does anyone else feel like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 12:33PM

Exactly. It's like going along the yellow brick road and finding out it was just some goofy guy behind a curtain with a couple levers.

At least in your imagination along the way, talking lions, scarecrows and tin men existed. Then you wake up.

Yes, at first it is all a giant disappointment. That is, until you realize how diverse and magnificent the world really is. That assuages the disappointment.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 12:53PM

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 12:39PM

Many, but not all, of the temples are really beautiful. The problem is that Joseph Smith's makeshift ceremonies aren't temple-worthy.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:00AM

I have to say - from what I've read here, just the idea of watching a MOVIE being the idea of the highest spiritual experience...WTF???????? Really, from outside, putting everything else aside, the fact that there are actual movies involved just sounds flat-out ridiculous. At least all the religious rituals I've been involved with have involved live humans!

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:10PM

Absolutely!

The grounds are amazing and for many years I would park outside the temple grounds and felt a sense of peace in my car just sitting there alone looking at the grounds and scenery.

I would drive to the temple GROUNDS when I had troubles in my life and and ponder the experience gaining some insight on my own, without even stepping foot inside.

My help came from inspiration from my spiritual guides, God, or enlightened beings who have always been with me and by my side.

~No building necessary, no ritual practices to perform~

I have learned to trust my own wonderful higher self and receive guidance more now than ever, without any religion or church.

The green grass and colorful flowers are God's treasures for everyone to view and his magnificence is everywhere. The Temples can confuse us and cloud our thinking bringing us back to darkness.

(just my humble opinion)

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 05:20PM

I once visited the Preston Temple. I thought it was just a friendly visit between myself and a ward member (her suggestion). Turns out the whole ward were praying that I get a testimony on the visit.

I got as far as the receptionist clerk while my friend (assigned perhaps) went in to put my name on the Prayer rolls I think.

Reminded me of a hotel lobby. It was the Temple Shop selling framed photos (signed?) of the GA's that put me off. Reminded me of just general corporate merchandising.

Posted by: blindednomore ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 06:53PM

oh yes! We were both excited to go inside because it was so beautiful and seemed so special. After all, they were so selective about who could go in and all the build up about it at church, etc. Then when we were inside, both of us kept thinking "Get me the hell out of here." Huge letdown. Creepy. I've never been back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.