Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 05:46PM

After doing a lot of thinking lately about where I am going in life after recent events I realised that I need to expand my circle of friends, but being a strange sort (raving geek) I find it hard to meet people who are into the same things. A few people here have mentioned meetup a few times, for you peeps who have used it what's your opinion? Worth checking out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 05:52PM

Everybody's different. I have a very small circle. 97% of the time I'm happy to be with just my significant other, and the other 3% is a mix of family and extremely close friends, who I really see as allies.

I don't spend any time with anyone who doesn't elevate me which is exactly why I frequent this site. This site elevates me.

The problem with ex-mo meetups is that likely the conversation is 100% "isn't mormonism stupid? yeah, man. really stupid."

That could get old real quick...

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 05:53PM

I think it's worth going to at least one exmo meet-up. That being said, I was able to build a new circle of friends by voluteering on some local boards. And I don't think that being a raving geek is such an isolating thing.

A friend of mine joined this battle club (can't remember what it's called). They all dress-up in Medieval garb and brandish modified Medieval weapons and phyisically role play a battle at a local park. Afterwards, they go out to eat and repeat the next week. Soooooo.... I am betting you could find a club or league of somesort that interests you. Call upon Google to help you.

Best of luck!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 05:54PM by Queen of Denial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.