Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:11PM

Four children of TBM parents.

My older sister is out, two older brothers who know the truth but "endure to the end" for their wives.

4/4 who figured out the church is bs, 2/4 who have resigned!

What's your families ratio? I'm the youngest, then sister.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:16PM

Five boys with super TBM parents in my family

My oldest brother left this year, I left last year.

My three younger brothers are all hardcore TBM.

My wife is from a family of 6 kids all raised to be ultra TBM. Her and her older brother have both left, they have a sister who is waiting for their mom to get to the point where she won't have a complete breakdown if another of her children leave, but no longer believes.

The other 3 work at BYU, so they lose their jobs if they leave. They have no desire to leave at all anyway.

So my family is 40% out, and my wife's is 50%.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:20PM

Out of 11 siblings only 5 still remain active with their families. The other 6 have basically dumped the morg, had a bad experience growing up in the morg or had something done or happen to them with a bad after taste for the morg and other religions...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:21PM

3 kids, I'm the middle.
Oldest (male) is TBM to the core, a BYU History grad who teaches at Education week and writes for the Maxwell Institute. Won't hear anything negative about the church, has 8 kids, and no time to spend with any of them.

Middle, me -- out right after returning from my mission, 33 (almost 34) years ago.

Youngest -- female, 8 years behind me (a "happy accident" according to my mom); out, but ensconced in an "evangelical christian" church that, while a little less cultish, is no less ignorant and dishonest (they deny evolution, are YECers, etc.). But at least we can have coffee together :)

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:22PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:22PM

My brother (2 years younger) has been inactive for as long as I have (40+) years, but I don't know if he has resigned. I told him last year that I had.

Ron Burr

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:23PM

One out of my parents' five children (two sisters and two brothers) have left (me). They are hard core TBMs.

Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:30PM

4 siblings, my oldest sister may be unsure about the church but not sure. My two brothers left the church long ago, I just recently left about 4 months back. Both parents very TMB.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:35PM

There are 5 of us altogether. 3 have completely quit going to church and know it is all a fraud. No resignations yet but give it time. 2 are still active. I don't know what they get out of it.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:38PM

I am middle of 5 kids

Oldest brother - left the church at 18, never remotely interested in it.

Next brother - Goes, but is a cafeteria Mormon. Has a calling, goes regularly. Drinks iced tea, coffee. Does not preach or care what anyone else believes or does not believe.

Oldest sister - gone back and forth between jackmo and TBM. I let her know if my status, she said she would work on me. That was a year ago and I have not heard from her.

Youngest sister - Extreme TBM

Wifes family

Sister 1 - Extreme TBM
Sister 2 - Jackmo
Brother - Jackmo

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:52PM

5 kids. I'm the oldest and the only son. So I had 4 younger sisters.

#1 - remains very TBM although for the life of me, I don't know why. Her life hasn't been easy and the cult has a lot to do with that.

#2 - is an extremely liberal Mormon. Blogs at Feminist Mormon Housewives and was outraged by the whole Prop 8 debacle. I think she stays because she enjoys being a pain in the ass to the holders of the holy peenishood. She still professes to love the cult and feels called to reform it rather than leave it.

#3 - I believe she is living in a state of massive cognitive dissonance. She's very bright, understands most of the issues, but is also married to Mormon royalty. Her married name is that of a former profit. I think she mostly stays in for hubby (who BTW is a really great guy).

#4 - is completely out of the church. There is a significant age gap between her and the rest of the children (a happy accident as someone up thread said). I think she caught on the quickest by far. Figured out it was all horseshit before she was 18 and had her name removed not long after she left home. Also happened to marry a really great guy. That BIL is the only one in the family that doesn't have deep ties to the cult.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 07:01PM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 06:54PM

5 out of 5 have left the church.

My brothers and sister got out years before I did. I was the last hold-out. Wish I had listened to them years ago.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:00PM

I am the eldest of 6.

None have left, although I suspect a SIL (wife of youngest brother) is no longer active and may have shed her garments.

I remain active in name only (see my bio).

Parents and FIL/MIL all TBM. Siblings in-law (5) all TBM except eldest BIL.

As far as I know, extended families are all TBM. I know of no one, other than those already mentioned, who are not TBM.

*sigh*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 07:01PM by moose.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:02PM

2 TBM (one knows the history and still remains TBM!)
1 NOM
2 found out the truth and left (including me)
2 left at adulthood

So I tipped the scale to have more than half out.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:02PM

4 out of 5 out. I wouldn't be surprised if the last one left leaves sometime down the road, but for now she's in. She's also married to a TBM which doesn't help.

Dh's sibs - 2 out of 3 out. Last one in is die hard and will never leave. He doesn't question anything.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:05PM

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:15PM

Very happy to report: 6 out of 6 are out.

Total span between the first and last was about 30 years, but the last holdout sibling's shelf finally collapsed last year in their mid 30's.

I believe credit is due to one parent leaving TSCC when we were still quite young. Knowing that one's parents won't be united in opposition can provide courage in situations that otherwise might feel impossible.

Thanks pop.

Posted by: Resmar ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:21PM

I have two older sisters and one younger brother.

Sister #1: By far the most TBM of anyone in the family (parents included). She's the only one who attended church schools, and she and my BIL are very socially entrenched in TSCC where they live outside the morridor. She and BIL are the perfect trifecta of being TBM, rabidly conservative, and MLM participants. I think I'll be killed by an asteroid before she ever leaves TSCC.

Sister #2: Only sibling with a masters degree, and was never really into church growing up. For a while after she got married, she and her DH didn't really go to church (out of apathy mostly). Problem is, her DH is very culturally mormon and gets a huge sense of importance out of being part of the tribe. He comes from the east side of the Salt Lake Valley and LOVES to namedrop. I think she basically believes in it, but it would only take a few realizations for her to see it's a crock. Her main obstacle is her husband.

Me: Long story short, my mission started me on the path that led me to leave within just two years of coming home.

Brother: Stopped attending before the age of 18 and quickly became an atheist.

So that's 50% out, and maybe 75% someday.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:23PM

3 siblings in my family:

Oldest (sister) is out. Was once SoCal TBM, temple-attending. She never married, and once hitting 30 and getting dumped into a family branch, left it. She resigned recently.

Middle (me) is out. Also once TBM, went on a mission, married in the temple. Have since resigned with my wife.

Youngest never really attended. She never went to church, and married a Catholic guy.

7 siblings in my wife's family. Of them, my wife is the only one out. Dad's a former bishop, but much more laid-back than his wife, who is the very definition of over-the-top TBM. One of her sisters divorced her first husband because he left the church. Everyone else is fully in the church.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:36PM

3 kids.

Me - resigned
Younger bro - Jackmo. He will not ever go back. No way.
Younger sis - deceased. No children.

When TBM mom passes on, that will be the end of mormonism in my immediate family. Both parents were BIC, with pioneer ancestors.

The buck stops here!

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:44PM

Four children of TBM parents.

Two know it isn't true. One became inactive, one resigned.

One is lukewarm in the church.

One is a total TBM.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:51PM

Parents: TBM (deceased)

Sibling 1: Jackmo or Nevermo (unsure/half-sibling) (F-Army)
Sibling 2: Jackmo (M-Navy)
Sibling 3: Exmo (F-TM)
Sibling 4: Exmo (Bite Me) (M-RM & TM)
Sibling 5: NOM (F-TM)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 07:58PM by Bite Me.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:53PM

5 kids. Converted back in the early 70s.

All five out. Two of us served missions. 3 married in the temple. All five went to BYU for undergrad but elsewhere for advanced degrees.

None of us have resigned. None of us care enough I would imagine and I am still raising my kids with a TBM.

Posted by: abinadi burns nli ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 07:58PM

6 of us total.

I left.

I have one brother that knows it's bullcrap but can never leave due to DW.

The rest are insanely TBM. Like, ready to move to Missouri when the time comes TBM.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:00PM

Seven of us. Two of us survived and live independently. The others suffered the crushing spiritual death of fear and dependence. Daddy Mormbucks provides housing for two of the worst three incompetents and one lives on a small boat. One sister married a wealthy old Jewish man but spouts defensive Mormon propaganda. Another married into a Mormon traveler family.

The fruits of my parents' selfish labors.

Posted by: abinadi burns nli ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:02PM

Yeesh. What is a mormon traveler family?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:14PM

Similar to so-called Irish travelers. They are people who move a lot and start up small businesses in repair and construction trades. Some families have a dozen businesses or more among them. They generally eschew education and migrate around the country in search of entry level work.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:04PM

6 of us in my family. 5/6 are out.

Oldest brother still in - kinda. He knows there is a lot of B.S. but somehow ignores it.

Older sister - married out of the church, never went, now knows it's B.S.

2 older brothers - Never liked church, never went, both know it's B.S.

Me - R/M served in Bishopric, EQ, etc. Resigned due to information found via the evil internet.

Little sister - knows it's B.S. Always has. Stopped going young, wont ever be back

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:26PM

Of 7 siblings, I'm the only one out. Others serious TBMs, but respect my choice, so we're good.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:38PM

Total of 4 children listed in order:

Sister - out as soon as she was married in the temple in 1977. Something freaked her out...LOL

Brother- still TBM with 4 kids. One kid married in the temple a year after his mission (last May). His daughter is getting married in the temple in January. One kid at The college that used to be the tech(showing my age). Other kid still in High School.

Me - married a nevermo but had all my kids baptized BIG MISTAKE.

Sister- depressed in High School, figured it was the church, stopped going got married and NEVER baptized her kids (she was the brave one, I felt obligated to get my kids baptized).

Posted by: just because ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 08:47PM

6 of 6 out.

We all were lucky enough to leave before we got married, so of the three of us who are married none of us is married to a TBM.

Parent's are still very TBM.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 09:24PM

went inactive in their teens. It took me until age 38 or so to go inactive. I have one sister who is still active, but has a lot of issues with Mormonism. My mentally disabled brother (since birth) does go to church. The Mormons are pretty good to him. He lives in the ward/house my parents lived in.

Of all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren, my daughter is the only Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.