Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:57PM

I was just remembering something.

I live in a place where there are extremely few Mormons. Back when I was still wearing my garments, I bent over at work to pick something up and my shirt rode up. Like, way way waaaaay up. Since I'm a little less than five feet tall, the bottoms were practically pulled up to my chin and probably VERY visible.

Then, the wonderful and sassy gay guy that I work with said "girl, way to show everyone your thermals!" and I nearly died! It was SO not thermals weather at the time. Nobody else actually heard or saw but I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

This got me to wondering: your garment-tastrophes, RfM. Share them with me.

(Apologies for all the edits. Apparently I can't make a sentence or tell the main points of a story!)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 04:15AM by safetynotguaranteed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:18AM

I left before I was old enough for g's, but I remember my parents wearing them around the house like pajamas when I was a kid.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:34AM

Same here. I remember seeing my parents in garments from the time I was little, so I grew up thinking they were normal and that everyone else wore them too.
But sorry OP, I've got no garment disasters either, since I left tscc before I started wearing them.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 01:32PM

My mom was not an exhibitionist so it wasn't common for me to see her in just her g's with the bra over top, but occasionally it would happen especially when she needed my help with a much younger sibling (edited to add: first thing in the morning before she could get a robe on, or after she'd gone to bed). As a young girl it seemed normal. However, by the time I was about 14 I'd begun to realize, to my great dismay, that I wanted to be married in the temple - I just didn't want to have to wear those things. Ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 01:36PM by frogdogs.

Posted by: I finally left ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:05AM

Once when I was living in Hawaii (hot and humid) I overheard someone actually out loud noticing all of the layers they could see underneath my dressy white shirt (was at a classical concert).

To cover the bra ON TOP of the garment I had a 'slip like' camisole, which sort of covered the bra, which was over the garment top.

This person was standing behind me, commenting on all of the interesting and various lines they could see.

Ugghh - what a hassle to be so "good" and how embarrasing. Stupid magic underwear.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:20AM

When we (Mom, my sis and I) were investigating the church, we had a wonderful relationship with the missionaries.

It was back in the day of the one piece garments, only we didn't know that yet then ofcourse.

I was 10. My sister was 13. And it had been snowing. So we were all outside playing in the snow when the elders stopped by.

Mom decided to ambush them. We grabbed one of the poor guys and tried to stuff snow up and down his clothes. (It's a Dutch thing...)

So my mom is hoisting on this poor kid's (what she thought was) thermals, to get to his bare back to stuff snow down his trousers.. and she is pulling and he is squeeling, and she pulled some more, and he squeeled some more...

untill finally his companion came to the rescue and managed to break us all up and stop the snow fight...

It wasn't until about well over a year later that mom went to the temple and figured out what she had put that poor lad through...

Posted by: lifegoeson ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:12PM

Thank you for the laugh...really needed it!

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:22AM

My missionary companion's sanitary pad fell right off her loose fitting garment onto the crowded street. When we got home, I assured her that it was OK to wear panties under the garments at that time of the month. Crazy cult!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:29AM

OMG!

I'm stunned she didn't figure that one out for herself. Well, maybe not. Nobody tells you anything. A woman may know that panties make sense, but feel like it's a sin. What the hell? Old men are making rules for young women. Stupid stupid stupid!

Posted by: I_am_me ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:17AM

I didn't wear panties underneath either. The only instruction I was given was in the temple, the matron said, "Heavenly Father understands the needs of women" I thought she meant it was ok to use a pad. And "garments are to be next to the skin." Sometimes the whole thing was pretty messy when things would shift around or become unstuck. Just made me hate being a woman even more.

Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 01:17PM

In Brazil the elders would wear underwear over their garments. I thought it must be a cultural thing.

Posted by: Main Line ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:52AM

I was breast-feeding twins and turns out I'm pretty talented in producing a crazy amount of milk. So, I was at hubby's bosses house for dinner with his coworkers, and the babies start to cry. My G's were tucked in and the milk pads had shifted between my bra and garments. Thus, when I had a huge let-down the milk was wicked clear down to the knees of my G's.

I stopped wearing the tops immediately and was furious with the "brethren" for not designing G's that worked for breast-feeding women. Clearly they didn't even get the input of women?! Honestly, I was so embarrassed, disgusted, and angry that I felt fine not wearing G's anymore. I could not imagine that any perfect god would want to impose this humiliation. It broke some of the mind control.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 08:56AM

Those who had been to the temple wore "old style" garments to their wrists and ankles. The men came home grimy from farm or greasy work on machinery. They always seemed to have filthy garment sleeves peeking out of their blue work shirts and socks. It hurts to remember. How ugly and ungodly!

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 09:45AM

My mother continued to wear the one-piece g's even well after the two-piece ones were available. My older sisters and I would be so embarrassed when the bum flap wasn't smooth and it looked like she was wearing depends or some sort of adult diaper.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:22AM

In the Army, we would take off our BDU top if we were doing some physically intense detail. I remember a fellow soldier asked me why I was wearing two T-shirts. This was on a hot, humid day in Hawaii. It was like a lightbulb went off in my brain and I quit wearing G's under my uniform.

Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:10PM

living in the corridor, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone's religion on full display when the bend or move. For men, its often the ratty white ring around the bottom of their cargo shorts. For women its the white "whale tail" at the top of their pants. the fastest way to indentify a "member in good standing" is the ring of a second white t-shirt under their first t-shirt. Nasty!

LD$ inc needs to sub contract out for a redesign.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:08PM

Um, a whale tail comes from wearing a thong. Garment bottoms do not create a whale tail if you lean over.

I was always deathly afraid someone might see the giant embarrassing granny panties (aka garments) if I bent over, so I was always very very careful to have my shirt pulled down and covering my backside if I had to lean over. Out on the east coast garmmies are not known.

God I hated those things.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 12:43AM

twistedsister Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> I was always deathly afraid someone might see the
> giant embarrassing granny panties (aka garments)
> if I bent over, so I was always very very careful
> to have my shirt pulled down and covering my
> backside if I had to lean over. Out on the east
> coast garmmies are not known.

In my novel, a Utah girl (1968 or thereabouts) is attending a prestigious Eastern college, and is smooching with a gentile date. Before she has time to react, he has pulled her dress zipper down to her waist, and his hand finds--garmies!

"What the--?" he exclaimed.
She turns away, but in doing so, the top of her dress is pulled, and the front gets inadvertently ripped.
"Why--you're dressed like a frontier farm girl!"

There's a bit of a scuffle, and her dress rides up, revealing the grannie bottoms which he further ridicules. She bloodies his nose, then grabs her coat and takes off. But it's part of her exit process.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:42PM

I've known mormon women who didn't care if it was all hanging out. Didn't seem to bother them a bit. They couldn't see the people that were standing off to the side that could see it all hanging out. Looks of WTF and total confusion. Long johns in 90º weather makes no sense.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 02:46PM

I was a bridesmaid for my very TBM friend. When she was getting freshened up for pictures after the ceremony, I noticed the style of garments she had didn't work for the neckline or sleeves of her modest, yet gorgeous dress. I had brought a little "bride emergency kit" that had safety pins, just in case. But when I offered to pin the garments back, she freaked. The temple matron specifically told her to never pin the garments for fashion. So guess who had ugly garments hanging out of her dress in nearly every picture? I know it bothers her now, and I wish she'd find someone good with Photoshop to fix it.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 02:46PM

I remember my panty hose being worn over my nylon garmies and sliding off. Luckily, they didn't come of completely off under my dress before I made it to the ladies room. I took off the garment bottoms so the hose wouldn't slide off the rest of the evening. I learned to wear either cotton bottoms or wear regular underwear when I wore pantyhose. I no longer wear either these days.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:26PM

That used to happen to me, and I solved it by wearing tight Danskins briefs over the top of everything.(the kind you wear under a dance costume to cover your real panties). That made 3 layers under a skirt. Ughh. And I lived in the southwest for a while.

I've also ditched 2 of those layers for good. I can't STAND hose anymore, either. Whoever invented hose deserves a special place in hell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 07:27PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 03:30PM

After going through the washing and anointing, I returned to the dressing room to put on my wedding/temple dress for the endowments and sealing. The washing and anointing or the extra clothing must have distracted me, because while sitting in the bride's room with my sister and mother-in-law, I realized I was feeling rather free and loose. Sure enough, I didn't have my bra on either over or under my fancy new garments and had to return to the dressing room again to remedy the situation.

Always hated wearing garments. For some reason my bra straps and shoulder of the garments would slip off my shoulders. I was consistently reaching in under my shirt to pull them back on in the proper position. It was a really attractive move.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 03:33PM

It must be a disaster to wear those things.

M@t

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 04:24PM

Was in basic training. Even though they made exceptions for Mormons so that they could wear their hideous one piece garments in basic, my bishop advised against it. He told me to just wear the issue stuff during basic. So one of the guys in my basic class had been recycled from another class. When he found out I was Mormon he asked why I wasn't wearing the "religious pajamas" to bed like the other two guys he knew, who knelt down beside their beds together in their "religious pajamas" and said prayers. Sounded so weird, like they were in some kinda cult. I was happy to be the exception.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 04:25PM

Not a disaster, but my brother is such a TMB it too many years before he would wear 2- piece garments. He stuck with the one-piece for years.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:05PM

I remember being a young single mother and having to live in a place with no AC in house or car (and that was terrible in the deep south),and having interview with Bishop. He asked me if always wore my garments, and I told him sometimes I didn't in the summertime because of the heat and I would get rash. He fussed at me so bad. Of course being the stupid TBM I was, I put back on the awful garments.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 08:11PM

When my wife and I went to visit my grand parents with our almost one year old daughter I wore the one piece garment down to the knees. My grand dad came into the bedroom before I was dressed and I was in my garments and he said, " I haven't seen a union suit in years. I didn't think they still made them." This was in 1971 and he was born in 1901. Gee, do you think it was an old design? I just went with it and no more was said.

Posted by: Barry ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 11:29PM

Skiing with a friend of mine in CO, late 60s or early 70s. Stopped to use the men's room, and he discovered his wife had sewn his fly shut while doing some other mending. This is a real problem with one piece g's, thermals and all the other ski clothing.

Years later lived in Tucson, AZ. We constantly discussed how often we had to get in the swimming pool to be justified in wearing swimming suits all day.

Don't miss that, not at all!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 11:47PM

I heard a story about a TV reporter who was chasing a story on a stormy night and tripped and fell in front of her cameraman. Her skirt hiked up and showed her G bottoms. The cameraman asked her later if she always wore bike pants under her skirts.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:48AM

Any moms out there have or had a nursling who played with their hair or the hem of their shirt while feeding? Well, my youngest son decided at a very early age that breastfeeding was made more pleasurable by reaching up under Mom's shirt and playing with the lace around the top of her garments.

I tried everything to distract him from that, but he just loved the feel of that lace. So needless to say I had a heck of a time trying to pull down my top and cover up the g's when baby boy was nursing. I'm sure there were friends who wondered about the "tee shirt" I was wearing.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:30AM

I found garments to be very expensive for my small budget so I wore them as much as possible before disposing of them.

There was one day I put on a pair of holy worn thin one piece that even had a rust stain from a pair of old jeans near the navel mark. I decided this would be the last time I would ever wear them so it was okay. That was an embarrassing mistake!

I ended up with a surprise exam at the Dr. that day. He'd never seen the Gs and only needed to palpitate my stomach to see if my liver and etc. were enlarged. It was a bit puzzling to him but he conducted the exam through the veil as it were. He exclaimed over the navel mark and marveled that they were all one piece with a split up the back that thankfully I did NOT have to reveal.

I was so embarrassed I went home and properly burned that pair in the burn barrel!
I felt so guilty I’d let the Lord’s garments be seen by a Gentile and a very worn out pair as well! Oh the shame!

Posted by: Nonmember friend ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 03:27AM

My mom and other women in the ward wore their garments UNDER their "mom" swimsuits, legs unsuccessfully rolled up, arms scrunched up, but not enough to be hidden. I remember them at the beach exchanging tips on how to do this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.