Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:35PM

It is a fact that you cannot prove the church is false to TBM believers when they will not even consider any other option besides the church is true.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:35PM

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:47PM

Yep, all about mindset.

If they can't conceive it is possible, if you give them something like the ces letter, they will simply look for ways to find wriggle room plausible enough to maintain belief in the absurd

TThey don't see a forest, they see an individual tree, 100 times

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:57PM

It really fucks them up when you tell them you don't care....they can't process NOT caring about the doctrine...

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:06PM

Just agree with them that it's true. It does truly exist as an organization, after all. Then tell them that, true or not, it sucks and is a sh!tty way to go through life. If their god sucks, it's not our fault.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 07:44PM

Yep, as long as they refuse to look at your proof and simply dismiss it, they feel they can just keep saying that.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 07:50PM

You can prove the church is false by all of the historical documents that are readily available. What you can't do is convince TBM that the church is not true. I've just realized that fact does not equate to "true". What I am finding is that Truth is very subjective. IF you believe something hard enough, it will become truth no matter the facts. I think that is why so many people stay.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:48PM

I totally agree. I feel like there is ACTUAL PROOF that the church is false. It's why we left. But I look at others who go through a process (usually includes a time where they almost lose their faith) and then they figure out how to talk themselves into believing it again and their testimony is stronger than ever!

I personally view that as someone with a weak mind who can't step back and look at the facts & base a decision off of that but is instead influenced too strongly by how they were raised and taught...but they don't see it that way.

I really wonder how many people, if they were presented ALL the facts about the LDS church, and if they were grown adults, with no brainwashing from the LDS church, I wonder how many people would join.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 07:54PM

Just today I had a discussion with my TBM wife about how I do not believe anything that JS did. She said, "Don't believe everything you read or everything people tell you." I turned this around to say that she believes JS and perhaps he wasn't telling the truth about all of his revelations & translations, etc. End of conversation!! She will not listen to the argument she presents to me. She believes fully in TSCC and that's where every discussion ends. She will not listen to anything contrary to her perception of the truth. But we'll live happily ever-after disagreeing about JS and TSCC.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:01PM

When I was TBM I had some Christian friends that tried to 'save' me and shared with me a lot of the facts about Mormonism that we all know... but I was active for 10 years after that.

I was so convinced that TSCC was true that researching their claims by using SHIELDS/FAIRLDS was enough to calm any doubts I might have had.

Of course they also came at me from the point of view that their version of Christianity was correct, so mine was obviously wrong.

You can't convince someone of anything unless they accept that they may be mistaken... which is why Mormons stress "knowing <insert doctrine here>".

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:05PM

I went through exactly the same thing, AKA Alma. I didn't hear a word they said and just carried on as a Mormon. And at the time, the apologist sites soothed any worries that I might have had.

It seems that you have to be in the right frame of mind, where truth becomes more important to you than needing the Church to be true.

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:59PM

Everyone has a shelf point that can be wedged

Once they are prepared to think ill of the lords anointed, THEN you can break down their barriers

Remember how much we all had invested in this... We didn't want it to be a lie

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:14PM

And they can't prove it's true..

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:17PM

But I have more than enough doubt that I wouldn't waste my money, time, talent and devotion on JS's fraud.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:25PM

It is my opinion that you cannot prove that something is false!

It is questionable whether you can prove something is true!

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:36PM

I agree! It isn't proving the church false that is the problem, it's proving the church is true by proving the heavily annotated and referenced anti-mormon materials to be false.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:10AM

You can never prove a negative, but you can find a lot of doubt on a positive statement.

The burden of proof is always on the one making the claim. Mormons seem to think they can claim the moon is made of cheese and it's your job to prove otherwise. They have the burden of proof and they have failed to provide adequate evidence. Counterarguments have discredited what little evidence they have brought forth and provided more evidence that their story is a fraud.

Mormons think that because they were taught this from birth, it is the job of "antis" to prove them wrong. They are the ones seeking converts, but they won't do the work of verifying their claims.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:33PM

Actually, I think it would be possible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was made up in the early 19th century. It won't convince a TBM, but it would a reasonable person.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:36PM

It's not my job to prove the church is false. They are the ones with the burden of proof since they are the ones claiming it is God's one true church.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:40PM

The question is based on the premise of a strawman argument that falsely sets the Mormonism to be true. It's never been proven to be true, and the burden of proof is on them to first prove that it is. It's a silly proposition.

Posted by: Keith ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:15PM

read new Book titled Book of Mormon Book of Lies by Sheets. The book advises where story lines, quotes and names came from in the Book of Book. yes it names specific references to several books written prior to 1830.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:42PM

The church is true or the church is a fraud.

Ask 5 million mormons and they would say true.

Ask 7 billion non mormons they would say false.

Ask 1 God and you really have to guess at the answer.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:12AM

Galileo thought the Earth revolved around the Sun. The Catholic Church with its millions of followers thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. The Church excommunicated Galileo, but the Sun did not change positions with the Earth based on their votes.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:25PM

The Mormon church is a proven fraud. The choice to be a Mormon and believe in Mormonism is a choice to ignore or reject the proof that it is a fraud.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:39PM

You are wrong, you can prove it false to anyone. The problem is that some people choose to ignore the proofs.

For those who bring up the famous Carl Sagan idea you are applying it incorrectly. The idea is the basis for what we sometimes call the scientific method. The idea is not that crazy stuff requires crazy evidence, the idea is that evidence to the positive must out way evidence to the negative. In the case of an "extraordinary" claim there is a demand for extraordinary positive evidence since the negative evidence tends to be normal, easy, and overwhelming. Mormonism's extraordinary evidence is set so high because the ordinary negative evidence is so abundant.

Posted by: Ex-Cultmember ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:42PM

The reason it seems to me that you can't prove it to TBM's is NOT because the facts don't affect their belief in the church its because they refuse to even LOOK at the facts. Story after story I read on this board I read of Mormons going ballistic because one of us tries to present the facts to them. Instead of taking the time to study the evidence they stick their fingers in their ears and go lalalalala, I CANT HEAR YOU! The fact is Mormons CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH because it ROCKS their fragile testimonies so they stick their head in the sand and REFUSE to even look at it.

Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 12:15AM

Mormons have been bearing testimony that the church is true since most of them were 5 or 6 years old.

They have either been repeating this mantra or have been hearing it for nearly their entire lives as a member. Even those who joined as adults and have been actively attending Sacrament meeting and Fast and Testimony meeting are getting reinforced in their minds that TSCC is true.

Never underestimate the power of repetition and habit. This is what the tbm mind is locked and addicted to - The Church is True!

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 01:34AM

Actually you can. I did. See my post above.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:15AM

Research shows that adopting an agreeing but extreme version of their opinion actually causes them to reflect more seriously.

One example might be..."yes its so true. If TSM told me to wear a bomb vest and take out the Pope I'd so be ready for it. We need to obey in every instance. I know you'd do the same because once you k ow your ready to die or kill to defend the truth".

Posted by: Science! ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 06:37AM

"So you admit that your beliefs are mot falsifiable?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.