Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tedd ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 12:44PM

Anyone else just get bored as hell with TBM family? Their lifestyle is such a fucking drag! And BTW, all you have to do is Google my name, bro, and read up on who I really am and I doubt you'd want to hang out. OMG their lifestyle is such a drag, I would have put a cap in my head a long time ago if I was stupid enough to stay Mormon. First of all, my brother texts me and asks if mom can stay with me. Immediately I am like "no way, dude", all I have is a 2 bedroom for me and my kid, and I know she is not going to be comfortable on the couch. And second (I told him), she is not going to understand our lifestyle. I am not going around and Mormon proofing my pad, that's a fucking joke.

Mom and Brother met me for dinner at Cafe Rio, and he immediately goes into this proud explanation about cafe rio and how its a Utah based restaurant, and how Most of the people that are there eating are probably Mormon. #1 Don't give a flying fuck about anything pertaining to Mormonism (Unless you're talking about how stupid it is) #2 He always talks about the church and Mormonism to me as if I have any interest what so ever (Him and Mom are very similar in this respect).

And they have no vice besides food, so all they ever talk about is how amazing this restaurant is, or that restaurant was, and how amazing this is, or some bullshit about the church. Bore me to tears, shoot me and bury me now! Holy fucken' Christ

My daughter like hanging out with the cousins and I guess I can't blame her.

Just saying though, Mom and brother are a fucking drag

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:02PM

They do live their lives safely ensconced in a bubble of mediocrity and low expectations. I feel sorry for them, but they don't seem to mind.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:13PM

I have an issue along those lines. My father can not stop talking about the Church. Within two or three minutes he starts relating the conversation to what someone at the church said. "Oh, brother so and so said this" "president so and so said that."

The interesting thing is I don't even think he realizes it. He cannot separate himself from it. That is the true sickness of the church. Nothing has value unless you can tie it in some way to the church and its mission. I see TBM's very hard a work in a conversation, getting everything that is said to fit into their paradigm. I know everyone does it to some extent, but it is nice when people have the ability to rein it in in relation to the company.

I want to tell him, like you, "I don't give a shit about the church. Please stop talking about it." I feel that in his mind he is in perpetual missionary mode. He may think that someday he will say the correct thing as prompted by the spirit, that I will be touched and return to my former glory. The only solution I have employed is avoidance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 01:15PM by redpill.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:19PM

In a way, Mormons aren't as mature as other adults, since they're often obsessed with anything Disney, to the point where when the TBM's I know who don't even live in California all have annual passes to those parks. I'm talking about adults who go apeshit over a planned Disney trip, and it's a shock when they visit California without going to that place.

The thing I also don't get is why Mormons won't stay in hotels when visiting family, even if they're not there on a Sunday. To me, a hotel is a nice thing because the visiting guest goes there at some point, leaving the hosts to get a good night's sleep as they don't have to give up a bed or let someone stay on the couch.

I do consider myself lucky in a way because the TBM's in my step family don't discuss the church much at all, but there is the occasional Facebook post about how their 8 year old child "chose" to be baptized. I just ignore those posts when I see them. I've even worn tank tops in the summer when I'm around them because I don't care, I'm trying to stay comfortable. As for Cafe Rio, I might be a food snob, but I wasn't impressed with that place at all, as I agree with what my brother says about those restaurants being Mexican food for white people. I would rather have Mexican food where I hear mostly Spanish being spoken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 01:23PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:28PM

LMAO I feel your pain. Sorry to laugh. Trust me, I have walked a mile in your shoes. It really pains me to say how boring it can be with family, but when you say it is a drag, that pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: tedd ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:36PM

I swear one day I am going to spout, "I don't give a fuck about Mormons, Mormonism, or the LDS church! DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

Yes, Cafe Rio is totally Mormon Mexican food, LAAAAMMMME

Mexican food and Mexican Spanish kind of go hand and hand, do they not?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.