Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 06:16PM

Probaby had to be there (be one) to really appreciate the preciseness and power of this article by Kirby.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58530007-78/mormons-film-meet-review.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:47PM

How about general conference and all of the members dressed perfect. The invocation and benediction always refering to utah marmotts driving home safely. I recall a time late in my mission when I was incredibly embarrassed and uneased by the seemingly out of touch 1 percent "guiding" the church

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:20PM

I refused to show that film on my mission because it just seemed... crazy. My favorite was "The Restoration of the Priesthood": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4B_BTjpG8o because I liked the way the story was told, the music, and the actor who played Joe. Weird that I just watched the first five minutes of this video and was taken right back to that time when I believed all of this stuff. Shudder.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:24PM

"Those people don't have to worry about going to heaven, they already live there." Try telling that to a mormon who can't have everything they want.

A year or so ago, my mom was telling me how awful it was when my niece, who'd just had plastic surgery, had to go back to the emergency room with a complication and had to wait to be seen in a packed room of "illegals" (cause I guess she asked everyone to show their papers or something) who didn't have insurance.

So I answered with, "yes, it's very sad that so many people have no access to basic healthcare and that's their only option." She seemed to have no clue what I was even talking about. The story was supposed to be about this poor little well-to-do girl who had to go through all these trials to get her nose fixed.

I can't wait for Robert Kirby's promised sequel, "Meet the Real Mormons."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.