Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mcdonkie ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:35PM

Last night I drove by the Phoenix Az temple, they were conducting their open hosue recruitment seminars. We'll call it phoenix even though it's just across the street from Glendale. I saw what appeared to be protesters standing on the sidewalk, did anyone else notice this? Kinda sounds like fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 08:10PM

It happens at all open houses. I only wish I had the time to put on my Halloween costume (think white baker's hat) and join them! Usually these are Evangelical Christians who miss the mark with their own theology, but at least they're doing something.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 08:40PM

I wonder what would happen if a bunch of exmos gathered just outside the temple property, dressed in full remple outfits, and explained about the pre-1990 temple death threats to anyone who wanted to know what the costumes are about.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 09:59PM

If a group of ex-mo protesters appeared near the temple IN FULL TEMPLE REGALIA and started telling others about the pre-1990 rituals, I would fully expect TSCC to find some kind of charges - real or trumped up - to have them arrested for.

Even if they were on public property, and not on the temple property at all.

If, however, ex-mo protesters wore regular street clothes and did the same thing - and made sure they did not cross over onto the temple grounds themselves - I would think they would be left alone.

Just my opinion, of course.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:56AM

I think the church could pull that off in Utah, even in Salt Lake...but not in Phoenix.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 09:44PM

How does the church explain changing so much and discounting men that we revered as true prophets? It never stops amazing me how they, by their very actions, are showing the world that they have been wrong and the church is not true. The temple rituals were all supposed to have been delivered by God to His servants. How could they be wrong? Just another nail in the LDS coffin, I guess.

Posted by: anonazexmo ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 10:09PM

I wish I had been there to see it!

I went on a tour of the Water Park Temple (as I like to call it)...and, since I was warm (of course), I took off my black sweater in the Celestial Room to reveal a tank top underneath.

Someone kindly asked me to put it back on...I complied so as not to make a scene and embarrass my friend.

I took it off again as soon as we exited and strolled back to the car on the other side of the church building with bare shoulders for all to see.

#rebel

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 11:33PM

TSCC wants the protestors to be there for the publicity it generates. The worst thing for TSCC would be for there to be no protestors. Without the protestors there would be no Satan trying to disrupt the work of God.

Posted by: candidexmormon ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 01:32AM

What are you Americans scared of?
In the UK we can stand outside temple property in full temple garb if we so desire.
The church could do nothing about it.
It's called FREEDOM in the UK.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:59AM

candidexmormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are you Americans scared of?
> In the UK we can stand outside temple property in
> full temple garb if we so desire.
> The church could do nothing about it.
> It's called FREEDOM in the UK.

It actually has been done in Salt Lake outside of Temple Square and no arrest was made. Temple clothing guy made the news, but it was just viewed as an oddity. The posts as just all conjecture. Save the English arrogance, Tyndale. Google protesters arrested in London and get about twelve million hits. The right of assembly and freedom of speech were established in the Bill of Rights of the Constitution due to the oppression of the English.

The State of Utah and certain cities and town in the Morridor are unique to America. It is one of the reasons people post on RfM. Utah is a quasi-theocratic, representative forum of government. The cult, or members, own much of downtown and either you may be asked to leave the property for protesting or risk arrest for trespassing on public property, as were a two gays arrested for kissing and asked to leave a cult owned square where straights kiss and embrace uninterrupted. But, as in Great Britain, the police at times over step their bounds of authority. They can be bullies.

Date: October 18, 2014 03:14AM

candidexmormon Wrote:
> What are you Americans scared of?
> In the UK we can stand outside temple property in
> full temple garb if we so desire.
> The church could do nothing about it.
> It's called FREEDOM in the UK.

This coming from a country with a state church and a monarch at the head? Now, that is truly messed up.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:53AM

+1

And they are fighting tooth and nail against protesters that want to change it. So much for freedoms there.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 04:59AM

No Mo,

The Bill of Rights is based on 'Agreement of The People' a leveller pamphlet from the 1642 English Civil War. The English had been fighting and protesting for civil rights since before the Great Charter (Magna Carta).

Much of the US constitution and the Declaration is simply a continuation of the works and arguments of John Lilburne and John Locke.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was derived from 'life, liberty, and property'(Locke).

Read the Putney Debates and you'll see why America turned out the way it did. The American War of Independence was the English Civil War part 2. Tom Paine (the father of the revolution) was from Kent in England. The ideas were taken the the states by English men fleeing the return of Charles II.

Date: October 19, 2014 09:28AM

lilburne Wrote:
> No Mo,
>
> The Bill of Rights is based on 'Agreement of The
> People' a leveller pamphlet from the 1642 English
> Civil War. The English had been fighting and
> protesting for civil rights since before the Great
> Charter (Magna Carta).
>
> Much of the US constitution and the Declaration is
> simply a continuation of the works and arguments
> of John Lilburne and John Locke.
>
> Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was
> derived from 'life, liberty, and
> property'(Locke).
>
> Read the Putney Debates and you'll see why America
> turned out the way it did. The American War of
> Independence was the English Civil War part 2. Tom
> Paine (the father of the revolution) was from Kent
> in England. The ideas were taken the the states by
> English men fleeing the return of Charles II.

What is your point, besides the further demonstration of English arrogance? Sam Adams is often regarded as the "Father of the American Revolution". He was born in Boston. "Common Sense", which didn't express new ideas, wasn't circulated until January 1776, well after the Boston Massacre, Lexington and Concord, and the Boston Tea Party. Paine was from Thetford, not Kent, over 100 miles, which is quite a bit on a tiny island, and had immigrated to the colonies. He was tried and convicted in absentia by the Crown for seditious libel. Agreement of the People wasn't codified into the English constitution. The less revolutionary Heads of Proposals was.

Americans were English prior to the Declaration of Independence. The Founding Fathers borrowed from divers philosophers from the Age of Enlightenment and civilizations, including the Greeks and the Romans. Now the English want credit for our Revolution? You could have saved us the trouble of having to kick King George's army and mercenaries asses out. I hate the Royals, and the English aristocracy. House of LORDS? WTF?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.