Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:50PM

I was just reading through the "Aging TBMs" thread (here: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1408758) and had a thought. Does TSCC expect retirees to pay tithing on Social Security income? What about income from a tax-sheltered retirement account such as an IRA? Contributions to a Roth IRA are after-tax, so are disbursements considered "after-tithing" as well? What about a traditional IRA? Or, is tithing expected to be paid on the total amount the portfolio has grown?

I could call my TBM father and ask him, but I don't think these sorts of questions would go over well....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:06PM

Even if they don't "expect" it, they will never come out and say that. They will say "it's between you and the Lord, if you feel like you have paid a full tithe, we'll take your word for it."

Well, real TBMs are never going to think the Lord is telling them they don't have to pay tithing. They're close to the entrance to the veil and they are not going to take chances now after a lifetime of paying.

Same as why TSCC won't come out and say whether you pay on your gross or net. If they said you pay on your net, everyone would pay that. But if they leave it between "you and the Lard," and give you a recommend if you feel you're a full tither, half of those people will pay on their gross.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:35PM

It was ALL he had for income after my mother in law died.

Father in law almost canceled his supplemental health insurance to pay tithes. We stepped in and stopped that idea and told his bishop.

A few months later he needed hospitalization. His health insurance supplement was absolutely a life saver.

Had he canceled so he could pay tithing, do you think the LDS church would have helped him pay the hospital bills etc.?

No. Rely on family first. That's exactly what members are told to do.

Nice con they have going on. FIL wanted to do everything he could to be with his wife who had passed away and was told he had to pay tithing to hold a current recommend.

Putting fear in the elderly is dispicable.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:58PM

Yeah, you're supposed to rely on family, but then you go to your family and the first question you're asked is, "are you paying tithing?" When you say, "what part of 'I can't feed my children' do you not understand?" you get, "Well, I won't help someone who won't help themself."

You know... you're not allowing Godalmighty to help you because you're not giving him the money you need to put gas in your uninsured car so that you can get to your shitty low-wage job to make enough to keep a roof over your head.

But when they are elderly and can't see and can't walk and can't clean their house and need help, can you say, "are you paying your tithing?" And if they say "yes," shouldn't you be able to say, "well, I won't help someone who won't help themself"? As in "can't you see that you threw away the money you should have saved to take care of yourself and your wife?"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:57PM

Sure they want tithing on your retirement fund if it's earned any interest or dividends. If you end up in trouble because you sacrificed insurance to pay tithing the church will just say you should have managed you money better. Oh the home teachers might come over and give you a blessing or the Relief Society might bring you meals for a few days. The bishop might pay rent for a month or two. Other than that, you are screwed.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:05PM

Isn't it true, isn't it true, isn't it true.

This organization is not a charity and they will so state at every opportunity.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:06PM

My grandmother always paid a full tithe on her social security. In fact, she always paid a month ahead so she would be good when she died.

Poor lady didn't even have enough money to buy coke at the retirement home, but she paid her tithing.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:00PM

They never got a penny for me when I was farming....and why a retired person on a fixed income would even entertain the thought of funding a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme like the Mormon church is nuts.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:16PM

I have seen many widows and young families living basically pay check to pay check with little extra money for things like vacations out of state ------ just to make it to the C. Kingdom so they will be with their spouse and kids and be eternally happy versus just happy now here on earth. It almost brings me to tears now ------ except they know I dropped out of the church because I learned something that caused me to drop out. So I have come to the position that those people deserve what they get in this life ----- truth is important and it is important to understand what is happening around you!!!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:27PM

Medical advancements work in favor of the church. The member live longer and therefore feel oligated to keep paying tithing.

Meanwhile, their life savings depletes, medical costs increase, and inflation wipes out currency. The longer you go, the more likely you will be living in poverty with little church help.

Of coure, if you are very well off, your comforts in life are different but the percentage is small.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.