Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:07PM

From the site:

"There is nothing magical or mystical about temple garments"

If this is so, why does the church say that they will provide "physical and spiritual protection". That is clearly a magical claim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:14PM

I notice that they don't show the markings. They also don't show anyone dressed up in the "robes of the holy priesthood".

I am so grateful I caught on to the fraud early enough to where I did not have to go through that.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:50AM

...I think showing the marks would substantiate long-held beliefs validating "The Masonic Connection" regarding the Temple rituals themselves. Probably smart on the Church's part, but some well-meaning TBM will probably post somewhere "Well, at least they didn't show the marks!"

This latest flub by LDS Neswroom would never have been risked by the "Old Guard" McConkie/Packer-era devotees.....

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:23PM

Can you repost the link?

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:34PM

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:37PM

It is also posted on the LDS.ORG newsroom page --Its freaking out so many TBM ..Their secret is blown !!!

JB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:04AM

The only thing "ancient" about most garments are the stains that won't come out no matter what you do.

I always thought it was a bit ironic that garments are made out of fabric that's impossible to keep white after a couple of washings. Most garments are some yucky shade of yellow or gray. There's nothing you can do to keep them white, or return them to white. The whole "white" thing is a big fairy tale.

Mormons wear gray underwear.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:00PM

Alice,
I served my mission in an area of the world where there were no temples nor distribution centers. Our garments had to last 2 years. You should have seen the color of the garments I brought home. (Or maybe it's just as well that you didn't).

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:32PM

...how do you think Beehive Clothing has stayed in business all these years?.............remove and replace.

"To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred."

CHI Book 2

...could you put the removed marks on, say, a hip bowling shirt? Then sacred....right?

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:53AM

For all the night crowd and all our European and Aussie Crowd !!!! Look at this video and weep !!!

JB

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:08PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is the most stupid, outrageous, ridiculous and pathetic thing the LDS church has ever done? I don't see the catholics, Lutherans or JW's releasing videos about their damned underwear.

Ab-so-lute-ly unbelievable.

Talk about sending up a flare to point out just how stupid you are. Even as a TBM I found g's uncomfortable (not only wearing but even just acknowledging their existence to non member family or friends).

If this is some half-assed idea by the COB to use garments as some kind of missionary tool by forcing members to have to talk about their underwear to promote the church and gain new converts then the LDS Church has indeed Jumped the Shark.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:08PM

As the church "Releases" all this stuff. Letters, garment videos, the ubiquitous church statements. It looks more and more like the church is quietly shutting its self down in stages all the while protecting the money.

To us, well me anyway it looks like a giant train wreck In slow motion.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:54PM

It is pretty amazing watching all this info flow out of the usually tight-lipped cult/co. I'm wondering is there is some kind of power struggle going on with the top 15. The vacuum at the top with TSM out of his mind, and the different backgrounds and personalities of D.F.Ukdork and H.B.Crying could set the stage for some serious manuvering behind the scenes. Maybe the newsroom has gone rogue?? lol I am enjoying the show for sure.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 01:42PM

They said:-

"........The saffron robes of the Buddhist monk. All are part of a rich tapestry of human devotion to God."

Buddhist don't believe in God.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:56PM

Oh my good catch! LMAO

Posted by: redfeather ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:33PM

+1

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:13AM

Helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They said:-
>
> "........The saffron robes of the Buddhist monk.
> All are part of a rich tapestry of human devotion
> to God."
>
> Buddhist don't believe in God.

I LOL'd laughing at that statement too. They should have done more research about origins of Buddhists. They need to recut and edit. Bring in the catholic or Jew clips instead for that one line zinger.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 01:54PM

The only holy, religious clothing that gets skid marks.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 01:58PM

I thought it was well done and effective. I don't have a problem with people wearing religious clothing. It's part of the designation of the faith, and is ancient. People also get accustomed to a particular type of undergarment that is comfortable and easy to wear. That was not the case for me, personally, however. The upside is that the undergarment prevented chaffing. The design, however, is a problem. It's probably easier to wear for men, than women.

About keeping clothing white? I did not have any problem. There are plenty of products that will keep the garments white, plus hanging them in sunshine helps, washing often, spotting, etc. was part of my regular routine.

I do think it's wise to respect people's rights and choices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 01:58PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:25PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> I do think it's wise to respect people's rights
> and choices.

Even if their choices are irrational, harmful, dishonest, etc.?
Do those merit "respect?"

Susie, I appreciate your conciliatory attitude. Honestly.

I don't, however, feel that just because someone "believes" or "chooses" something it merits "respect." Respect has to be earned, and for good reasons. If we just give it to everyone no matter how crazy, harmful, or objectionable to the kind, honest operation of society they are, then "respect" becomes meaningless.

Posted by: redfeather ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:34PM

Garments specifically aren't harmful, though.

Date: October 21, 2014 12:29AM

redfeather Wrote:
> Garments specifically aren't harmful, though.

No, in fact some find them helpful. I found one good use for them: stopped any chaffing. Other than that, they were not made in a style that fit my body.

Date: October 21, 2014 12:27AM

ificouldhietokolob

You want people to respect and honor your RIGHTS to any belief you choose. It's a human right. The basic principle is: RIGHTS. HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!

What is right or wrong, good or bad, hurtful or not is not on some list. It's an opinion, generally when talking about beliefs.

Yes. Yes. Yes. All humans have the same RIGHTS to their beliefs. I have seen some of the strangest beliefs and ideas acted upon just watching TV.

Consequences follow choices. Good to remember that!!

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 04:54PM

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 04:56PM

I see that some TBMs are now sharing this on Facebook. Are they nuts? Even in my most TBM days I would never share something so embarrassing with no-mo friends as my religious undies. These people have no shame at all and they completely deserve any ridicule that comes their way.

Bunch of loonies.............in big magical undies.

Posted by: Jael ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:09PM

^^^ I agree, Sherlock, 100%!

Date: October 21, 2014 12:16AM

why would you want to paint a target on your back for never-mo friends or co-workers that might be connected to your facebook. Idiots. They aren't going to give you a high five fir knowing more about your underwear. Now they know what your wife wears and silent God only knows what they think about that.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:53PM

Church members have hid their temple clothing in the dark recesses of their closets for years. Why? So their own little tbm kids won't see them. Nobody was supposed to see their silly outfit.

So now they're parading it around on the news???! I guess using the green apron for a flag isn't so bad after all. It works like garlic and vampires. Green flag keeps the mormons away.

I'm totally going to use that all white outfit with the veil over my face when I pass out candy this year. It makes the perfect ghost costume. I'll leave the apron on the flag pole. In RS I learned to always try and find another use for old stuff. See?, I really was listening!

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:48PM

Exactly what I thought when I saw the vid on Facebook, of all places!!
Wait a minute: My mom hid her temple clothes from me, wouldn't let me see them, wouldn't even reveal the smallest detail about them, all my life.
And now they're on the internet for any heathen to look upon????

What is the world coming to?

(now her garments, I could see. Weird.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 11:49PM by claire.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:22PM

google image "mormon underwear"... this has been around for ages.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:36PM

Wow... Church PR has come a long way since I first got the g's and was told to not even hang them outside to dry lest non-member eyes fall upon them. We were told the marks had to be kept especially super-secret. We also weren't supposed to even talk about the garments with the unendowed. Admitting we wore them was about as much as we could do. (Despite such instructions, the local JC Penney's in the hick southern Utah town where I lived, sold g's right next to the regular underwear -- and anyone could see, try, and buy them, at least until leaders discovered nearby polygamists were doing just that). A video about them for the general public would have been unthinkable.

The video, like most Church PR, is disingenuous at best. It tries its darndest to link g's with other sacred religious clothing and even associates it with "God's commandments and the gospel of Jesus Christ" -- but doesn't say anything about making covenants to avoid loud laughter or give everything one has/ever will have to Churchco. As usual, they say vague things calculated to sound good and gloss over the details, like having to wear the g's 24/7 and report on it to your local leaders.

Then there's idea that they can be a literal "shield and protection" against fire, bullets, auto accident, and sexual indiscretion. I heard all those things and more about the garment at church, during meetings, while I was TBM. You can bet none of those stories would ever make it into any church-produced garment-info video. Magic undies, indeed!

Posted by: timl ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:22AM

icedtea Wrote:
> sexual indiscretion

I think they work pretty well for this, who wants to undress with ugly underwear in front of your lover.

Date: October 21, 2014 12:28AM

timl Wrote:
> icedtea Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > sexual indiscretion
>
>
> I think they work pretty well for this, who wants
> to undress with ugly underwear in front of your
> lover.

Do you know that many consider it sacred and special? You are not their keeper! :-) People have the RIGHT to choose their underwear!

Date: October 21, 2014 12:19AM

this video fails to disclose if rabbis or the pope prefers boxers, briefs, banana hammock, commando, or Tarzan undies.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:44AM

And I guarentee that all the TBMs now proudly displaying their underwear on Facebook would have been mortified about the idea of even mentioning anything so 'sacred' to non-members the DAY BEFORE church PR published the YouTube clip.

But like brainless sheep they bow their heads, bleat and blindly follow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.