Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 02:58PM

How to make Mormons leave you alone:

Resignation aside, I always thought trying to share the historical problems (polygamy, BoM anachronisms, Book of Abraham, stone in the hat, etc) with Mormons/missionaries when they knock on your door is the most effective way to make Mormons stay away.

If there's ONE thing Mormons hate the most is reading "anti-Mormon" literature. Its like kryptonite for Mormons. They are TERRIFIED of the truth. They do NOT want to be around anyone that is going to share these inconvenient truths with them. When they perceive you as an apostate, with an "agenda" to crack their fragile little testimonies, they run for the hills.

What better way to put you on the "no-contact list."

I served my mission in Utah and when we came across a person who had anti-Mormon literature, we pretty much got out of there as fast as possible. When there were inactive/former members or non-Mormons who tried to share the truth with Mormons, they were ALWAYS marked as a person for missionaries and ward members to AVOID. There was usually in BIG BOLD RED marking on their address "ANTI." Inactive members who simply acted angry at the visits no one seemed afraid of. We always thought we could eventually love bomb them into being active again. Their hearts just need to be softened.

So I say either try and hand them some "anti" literature and or keep blabbing to them all the problems. They won't stick around for long!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 04:04PM

My theory is that you say to the offending Mormon: "Look, you know I'm not interested in being LDS any longer. I've thoroughly researched the subject and am convinced it's a fraud. However, if you'd like to know more about WHY it's a fraud and how it's damaging to believe in, please come back. I'll prepare some information for you and have it waiting in case you decide to return and I'll assume if you do come back, it's because you want me to help free you from Mormonism. In the meantime, I'll pray for you."

I doubt you'd ever see them again.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 04:12PM

Similar strategy here. I just said, "You don't want to talk with me." Then added a comment about the specific subtopic I was working with at the time. Briefer, but did the job.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 06:37PM

When I first had my "crisis of faith," there appeared a concerted effort, led by the high priests, to rein me back in. As each one of these fellas gained access to me by various fake friendship means, I would give them clear and reasoned explanations of why I no longer believed. I used actual church sources, not peripheral "anti" sources to make my case. They ran like rabbits. It was over in a fortnight.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 11:06PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I used actual church sources, not peripheral
> "anti" sources to make my case.

You can't get more of an "official church source" than the scriptures:

exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1356045,1356045#msg-1356045

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 06:48PM

You don't have to use any anti-Mormon material. If you use truth about real history they will think it's ant-Mormon, anyhow. A lot of real Mormon truth is way out there in left field and doesn't sound like anyone would dare believe it.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 06:51PM

Hie to Kolob immediately!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 08:17PM

Not yet...my instruction to be left alone in my resignation is so far being heeded.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Steve Davis ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 09:50PM

Has anyone ever gone door-knocking around Utah to make 'pree-senTAtions' about why the Mormon church is a fraud?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:20PM

No clue....I live in southern Alberta...and the church doesn't know where I live.

Ron Burr

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:15PM

No I never have. Once the missionaries came to my door and I

told them I was no longer a mormon because I don't believe

it anymore they seemded surprised but they didn't push.

If mormons keep trying to push you then maybe you need to

be firm with them so there's no misunderstanding about where

you stand.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:16PM

truth is anti-mormon

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:41PM

I have to admit I have played with missionaries like a bored kitty.

I like to bet them I know more about Mormonism than they do. They just can't resist. I say, "I'll go first:

What is the Plan of Salvation?

What is the doctrine of Eternal Progression and where did it come from?

Why does God mark people with a dark skin?

Who is Helen Marr Kimball?

Etc - pick your own fav, but don't leave out Zina Huntington!

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 08:31AM

I don't want to set them straight or do a passive/aggressive swipe at their beliefs.

I want them to leave promptly and never return.

"Leave now and don't come back or I'll have to unroll and aim the garden hose you see there."

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:15PM

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 09:25PM

YUP..... hand them www.cesletter.com and they seldom come back.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 09:49PM

I work at Hill AFB in Utah. A young airman was working with me for awhile. He was from PA and was getting a lot of "fellowshipping" from Mormon coworkers to go see the Ogden Temple. He asked me what to say to shut them up. I said to just let them talk and then ask them what their Temple name. That will shut them right up. He tried that and said that it worked. He said their faces went pale whenever he asked them that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.