Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smo ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 05:52PM

Try not to drink anything while reading the news

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58450303-78/museum-church-mormon-smith.html.csp

(it may end up on your screen)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 05:54PM

Who even knew that was a word? Subversive is more like it.

Saree

Posted by: anonnow ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:03PM

I have seen a few pages of the layout from the exhibit designers.

I don't know if they had the final wording at that point, but on one wall they had a bunch of text basically saying that pretty much everyone back then did a little treasure seeking, so it's no big deal the Joseph got in trouble for it.

I'm sure this is all part of their big push to say "What?! We never hid anything from you! We always told the story with the rocks and the hat!"

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:55PM

everybody's doing it! Peer Pressure is good if it leads to Mormons who Morm!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:10PM

Excerpt from the article in the Trib:

"The church brought in an international firm, Gallagher & Associates, who have consulted on the Reagan Library and the Smithsonian, to help guide the renovation. When the head of the firm, Patrick Gallagher, visited Salt Lake City, Graham told him the story of Smith’s first vision.

"He said, ‘That is a great story.’ And he wasn’t talking about it from a sort of proselytizing or missionary or Mormon kind of perspective, but he was looking at it from the standpoint of, ‘you can use that story to connect to your audience..."

The prophets and seers brought in an international consulting firm to design the new history library.

Nice.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:15PM

Closing down museum for a year renovation??

Umm... please follow with, or better yet, sign-up the entire church for a much needed renovation. I think it might take at least five years for this to be accomplished, hopefully longer.

The Church-Cult can take their sweet time as it should be done correctly.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:16PM

Jesus Christ - the ultimate renovator!

"Just as Christ [Joseph Smith, Jr. - (Monson) - missionaries - (the faithful followers)] is at the center of the LDS faith, so, too, do Mormon leaders want him at the center of a renovated museum." Weren't we taught to believe that he was at the center of everything Mormon?

"The change is planned to give greater emphasis to Jesus Christ and the so-called first vision of the Lord by Mormon founder Joseph Smith amid more immersive exhibits — including re-creations of the New York cabin where the church was established in 1830 and Missouri’s Liberty Jail, where Smith spent months incarcerated in 1838-39." GREATER EMPHASIS! Good one. This puts JS at the center of the "religious" center... even if it does include a statue [idol] of JC in the mix.

What is there currently? Don't they already have a dumb faux cabin and imitation 'jail' and Jesus statue there already?

"While the current floor plan prominently features artifacts relating to the early days of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Mormon pioneers, the revamped museum will walk visitors through early events in LDS history — with the teenage encounter Smith reported having with God the Father and Jesus Christ at the heart of the display." "It will be much clearer to people that we are a Christian church,". That's a good one. MUCH CLEARER!

Why does it have to be any clearer? Do any other churches have to make it any clearer that they are Christian? Shouldn't the work (spirit) be clear enough?

Ultimately, though, museum planners wanted to "center our historical story all on the gospel of Jesus Christ," exhibit manager Maryanne Andrus said.

Hype on top of hype on top of dung in the sand.
They've had over 150 years to 'center the story around Jesus Christ' and they are just now getting a round to-it.

Posted by: cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 07:03PM

Hope they show the gunfight and joe
Killing 2 men

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:30PM

Some ideas that would help draw millions:

Second anointing booth

Smith's Loveshack

Glow in the dark stones

Tapir Rides

Magic Ink scriptures

Indians in whiteface

MMM shoot a kid booth

Brigham's bad decision gallery Exhibit

A tithing refund table

Ministering angels that force you to have sex

A map of the vanishing Cumorah

Dunk tank where Dan Peterson finally falls on the facts

Meet Big Foot

Help the 3 Nephites buy their first car so they don't have to hitchhike anyomore

the "oh yeah, we forgot about Jesus, pantheon"

A shuttle that runs you to the mall

A booth where you can actually trade your token for treasure

The Kinderhook Plates

An interactive display on how to build a wooden submarine that defies gravity and physics

A diorama on how Jewish DNA is erased under UV rays from the sun

and finally a table, where Thomas Monson and his apostles sit and show you their bank statements.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:13PM

My husband's sitting here watching a Formula 1 race and I keep snickering and snorting over everyone's museum ideas. I finally had to explain.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:15PM

They should get Disney to do it for them.
I'd go.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:53PM

The morg must still be on loads of money. Renovations typically cost lots of money. Isn't the closing after conference suspect? Do people go there after the conference sessions?

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:00PM

They have to up the propaganda quotient.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:15PM

I think they should display statues or waxwork figures of all 34 of Joseph Smith's wives.

What about a replica of the tiny bedroom where Joseph Smith was sleeping with his brothers when an angel appeared to him and talked to him without waking anyone else up?

Maybe an interactive display where you carry a heavy replica of the gold plates and run through the forest and jump over logs and knock down bad guys who have guns?

I would love to go to the new museum!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:48PM

And a BIG phallus to remind everyone what a prick Horny Joe was! Boner.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:24PM

"Besides the historical value of the masks — taken after the brothers were murdered in Illinois in 1844 — the relics carry spiritual significance. Mormons believe, for instance, that the eyes behind Joseph Smith’s plaster mold saw Christ, Graham noted."

Right... the eyes behind the plaster mold saw Christ... Classic-not!

What a bunch of bullsh!t.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:56PM

Wouldn't it be fun to have a second close museum full of the hilarious suggestions that have been given on this thread? I do believe the Exmo Museum would show up the Church Museum in visitor enjoyment.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 12:51AM

Bwwaa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Don't forget that sphinx, over at Gigal gardens.

Hey, I've got a vest and a shirt and a watch that were touched by the man who's eyes saw Christ. I'll sell them to you....

The idea of "renovating" the LDS museum to match its revise and whitewashed history is funny enough--but all of your comments are hilarious!

Let's take bets that those gold oxen in the photo will disappear, and all traces of the "golden plates" will be painted out of the murals.

Can you imagine a rolling submarine ride?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.