Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:34AM

Leaving copies of Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer on book shelves at our time share location in the clubhouse books and games area. By the time we check out the copy is GONE.

This book shocked and fascinated me at the same time. No way to feel the same about the sick Mormon cult.

I hope my small effort is helping people to stay the f*** away from the church.

What do you do in addition to posting on ExMo forums?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:25AM

What makes you think that some Mormon didn't take it and simply destroy it, so as not to spread "anti-Mormon" lies?

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:54AM

Right? No TBM would read that. I always refer TBMs to mormon think and gentle awakenings. Under the Banner of Heaven is infamously anti Mormon and a TBM brain just shuts down.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:28AM

Because that book is about a girl's experience in a splinter group, I don't think it's going to have the effect you are hoping for.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:30AM

Leave little bookmarks/inserts in BOMs in Marriott hotels, wherever I go. Mention that opposing viewpoints are available, if anyone ever has any questions or mentions LDS/Mormons or news about them.

When asked, say that I know a different version of that truth, if they are willing to listen. Tell people my and my family's own experiences with Mos, when they relate theirs to me.

And, refer them here and to other websites where people openly and freely discuss the issues and problems of the church.

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:18PM

I wrote in the links to the MormonThink and CES Letter websites into the BoM in my Marriott hotel room this week. Unlikely to make a difference, but what the hell...

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 08:42PM

What makes me think TBM's didn't take the books we've left on book exchange shelf is mormons are less than 1% of N American population.

Chances are better that gentiles picked up the copy of Under the Banner of Heaven book:)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 08:52PM

I started to read "Under the Banner of Heaven" and it just grossed me out. I didn't get very far.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:14AM

I haven't read this book, but something keeps telling me the best way to lure ppl away from the edge is to give them a catching slogan or some stuff.

"give them the milk before the meat". Cognitive Dissonance is a strange a powerful thing. Influential ppl have a strong control over feeble minds like parents over children.

That is why the primary songs are so strong in reinforcing the doctrine "follow the prophet, he knows the way".

Gotta give them the milk before the meat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.