Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:12PM

Essay is here: https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

The first sentence reads:

"Latter-day Saints believe that monogamy—the marriage of one man and one woman—is the Lord’s standing law of marriage."

The above sentence has a footnote to the well known "THE FAMILY: A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD"

The first sentence of that reads:

"WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

Do you see the problem?

The first one reads: "marriage of ONE man and ONE woman"

The latter reads: "marriage between A man and A woman"

I would say the latter complies with Mormon doctrines of eternal marriages the former does not.

So is Mormon doctrine suddenly changing? It's now one guy for every one girl? Where's the prophet/scripture to change it? What does Mormon God have to say?

It's just plain ass crazy!!! Crazy, crazy, crazy!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lou P. George ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:19PM

This is my favorite part:

"Although the Lord commanded the adoption—and later the cessation—of plural marriage in the latter days, He did not give exact instructions on how to obey the commandment. Significant social and cultural changes often include misunderstandings and difficulties. Church leaders and members experienced these challenges as they heeded the command to practice plural marriage and again later as they worked to discontinue it after Church President Wilford Woodruff issued an inspired statement known as the Manifesto in 1890, which led to the end of plural marriage in the Church. Through it all, Church leaders and members sought to follow God’s will."

It's not our fault Joseph Smith married other men's wives and had sex with 14 year old children, God forgot to give him the instruction manual. Yeah, that's it…it was God's fault. Wow, blaming God for Joseph's, Brigham's and Heber's follies….Can the leadership of LDS Inc. go any lower? I'll stick by my original assertion, the leadership of this church is not ignorant, it is pure evil!

Lou P. George

Posted by: laughing here! ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:17PM

Actually the 1890 manifesto was only the beginning of the end.

It took God 14 more years to "weanie" them off!!!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:34PM

Not 14, 64.

It was 64 years until the last polygamous mainstream mormon marriage ended. The grandparents of the current apostle Eyring were polygs until one wife died in 54 and he was left with monagmy.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:01PM

Addendum to my original post:

Yeah, so Mormon Gawd goes to all this trouble of revealing to JS Eternal Marriage and even threatens his children with death if they don't get on board with it. Living it causes all kinds of problems and even human suffering and tragedy. And then some anonymous person in some department at the COB writes an essay and casually rescinds it out of hand?

All I can say is Mormon Gawd you are a sly and capricious Gawd. Mysterious indeed! You got me again You old omnipotent rascal, You!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 01:12PM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:54PM

"That is the beauty of it!"

The "he did not give exact instructions..." Part was my very favorite. Seems downright irresponsible, especially if you're conspiring to break a law.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:08PM

Good catch, mrtranquility.....that the first sentence out of their mouth is a dishonest one.

And I love the words you chose to portray the Mormon god - sly and capricious.

It all started with the sly and capricious Joseph Smith wanting to fool whoever was willing to be fooled so that he could sit back and enjoy money, sex and power without working in the least.

Some people might have a little sympathy for ole Joe because he did have mentors in this con-game he learned, but I think he had more than numerous chances to change the course of the game if he chose to. I, for one, do not think he wanted to, and that is how I dare say I find him, and the church he founded, because they too, have had plenty of chances to straighten up their act, to be dangerous and evil, seeking their money, power and sex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 06:09PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:23PM

Yes, Well spotted.

"Latter-day Saints believe that monogamy—the marriage of one man and one woman—is the Lord’s standing law of marriage."

However our local ward Bishop told me that Monogomy is not the Lords Standing and is The Law's standing, hence he expected to have many wives (now in the eternities instead)for a reward for his loyalty.

No joke. He even told me he tries to discuss this with his wife and she tears her hair out and won't listen.

I got called in for what he called 'apostasy style' enquiries over blacks, polygamy etc and he just spilled out some Meat and said I've been attending long enough to know.

That meeting was one more step to the exit.

In fact I would have gone long before that day as I was starting to feel nauseated attending. But I was waiting for the promises made to me by my 'new best friend' (Female TBM missionary aged around 36 at the time) that NEVER materialised!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 06:25PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:41PM

This is how far I got before I found a problem:
https://www.lds.org/

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 04:25AM

Me too. Just seeing the home page gave me the creeps.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 04:44AM

Lou P. George -
THANKS. It looks like some folks are actually coming around to what I firmly believe and have for a long time. The CULT is PURE EVIL and has been since day 1. That is why it has got this far. But now the forbidden tree of knowledge (which is actually a web called a world wide web) is going to take it down and reveal the evil that has always been there since Joseph Satan started it.
It should have been called The CULT of Joseph Satan of Every Day Satanists.

Instead of having MORON-I as the mascot, they could have their real hero the upside down 5 pointed star (YES the one on the front of the Satanic Bible). That should grace all of the temples. Don't ever forget that LUCIFER's root word is LUCID "all about shedding light on something........not darkness, light. This according to the Bible anyway. Of course, it was probably translated wrong.

Posted by: NoNoNazi ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 08:52AM

It's such a nice cult.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 08:48AM

Section 132 seems pretty clear the the wives needed to be "virgins".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 08:48AM by baneberry.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 09:38AM

Then they argue that polygamy in this life is merely 'spiritual wivery' with NO sex involved. Absolute bloody tosh!

Something stood out for me, given the church protestations that plural marriage was 'spiritual only'. Had this been the case then geographical proximity of participants would make no difference, yet I read: quote: "After the marriage with Alger ended in separation, Joseph seems to have set the subject of plural marriage aside until after the Church moved to Nauvoo, Illinois."

What a spin eh? They're disappearing up their own whatsits trying to brush this one off.

Smithie boy was just a rake and a cad.

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.