Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 04:28PM

I live in the heart of the Moridor, next door to an LDS Stake Center. The missionaries live on my street. Today they paid me a visit, the first since my disaffection and resignation. They asked if I had heard of the restoration of the gospel. I replied that, yes, I had. They asked if I attended the church next door. I replied that I used to attend a ward in that church, but I no longer attended. They asked why and I told them they really didn't want to know. They then asked if they could do anything for me. When I told them no, they said that if I thought of anything I should let them know because they are always looking for something to do. They also asked if I knew of anyone whose day they could brighten with a visit. My reply was, again in the negative. They walked down my long drive, back into the neighborhood.

It is an overcast day here at the base of the Wasatch mountains. Maybe it was the weather that made those young missionaries seem so downcast. Or maybe, they didn't press me for reasons because they already knew what my reasons might be and they are just waiting for their indentured servitude to end. I felt so sad for them. What a waste of time.

Some of you will probably think that I should have given them my many reasons. Perhaps you would be right. I wasn't in the mood to go there today. I'm sixty seven years old, my hair is white and I dress on the conservative side. I've been told that I look like the quintessential Mormon matron. I hope that my gentle answers made them wonder. I may not have left them with answers, but I bet I left them with questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 04:34PM

FWIW, I think you handled it perfectly.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 04:36PM

It isn't your responsibility to preach. That is what they do and it annoys everybody. There is nothing wrong with you deciding not to engage.

That being said, I engage in this discussion every chance I get. Last time I had a missionary ask me why I wasn't Mormon anymore I talked for about 10 minutes straight about my entire story, about how unhappy I was and about how freeing to leave Mormonism and how genuine and amazing I felt since I left. There's a good chance all I did was waste their time, but I'm a fairly decent orator and I hope I placed a bit of a seed of doubt into that kid's heart.

Also, those missionaries haven't stopped me on the street since and I consider that a success.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.