Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:41PM

So of course it's a meme.

"If we remove ourselves from the light of the gospel, our own light begins to dim—not in a day or a week but gradually over time—until we look back and can’t quite understand why we had ever believed the gospel was true." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

And I read that last line a few times. And you know what....he's right. The longer I am out of the church, the more I look back at it and "Can't quite understand why I had ever believed the gospel was true." It's so f'd up. It's so silly and culty. I look at it and just think "HOW did I ever believe in that crap?"

Of course TBM's say it's cause my light is dim, but I know it's cause I can see fully with out the mormon shades over my eyes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:45PM

I agree. Eventually you do wonder how you ever fell for Mormonism. But I feel relieved!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:52PM

The gospel...

Mormons would not know the Gospel of Jesus Christ if it smacked them on the side of the head.

As discussed many times here, "the gospel" to TBMs is the institutional church and its policies and procedures. Jesus Christ is simply an anchor they tie to in order to sell their brand and its features.

The gospel of Jesus Christ (whether you believe in Christ or not), is so polluted by TSCC that its members don't know what it really is, and those who do, inside and outside the church easily see how dirty "the brethren" have made the truth.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:09PM

Moving from superstition to reason causes one to look back and wonder why. Why did I believe that? It seems foolish now.

Those who remain with the shadow show in the cave may smugly proclaim their loyalty, but they are loyal only to shadows.

Plato trumps Dieter, as history will testify.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:17PM

And for this reason, Mormons feel like they need to give you a refresher course on the "basics." We simply must have forgotten.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:24PM

But they call darkness light and enlightenment darkness.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:26PM

"If we remove ourselves from the light of Scientology, our own light begins to dim—not in a day or a week but gradually over time—until we look back and can’t quite understand why we had ever believed Scientology was true." - L Ron Hubbard

"If we remove ourselves from the light of Islam, our own light begins to dim—not in a day or a week but gradually over time—until we look back and can’t quite understand why we had ever believed Islam was true." - Bin Laden

Quit a meaningless phrase that could be used to support any cause or belief.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:30PM

I used to believe the sun rose and the days were long. I choose to no longer believe that and since doing so in late June - sure enough, the days are getting shorter.

it's a miracle of Faith!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:34PM

I know exactly why I believed it was true.

Cult indoctrination almost every day of the week from birth on.

Nursery to Primary.

Cub scouts to Boy scouts (always had a church spin to them)

Mutual and seminary

Sunday school...

On to forced temple endowment, forced missionary service...

It's a wonder anyone escapes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 06:34PM by nonsequiter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.