Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 09:37AM

I found this on Rod Meldrum's website, about the recent conference:

http://www.firmlds.org/profile.php

Chief Charles L. Rogers, M.D. has been a Cherokee Medicine Person for over forty years, beginning in 1970. He graduated from Grace University School of Medicine with an M.D. degree in 1987 and has achieved many medical accolades in the area of natural and herbal treatments as well as allopathic oncology training.

He is founder and owner of the Homeopathic Medication Laboratory and has been in homeopathic private practice for many years. He founded the non-profit Rehabilitation Center for U.S. Veterans with Chronic Alcoholism and had a private practice in alternative oncology in Matamoros, Mexico. He built a private oncology clinic in Acapulco, Mexico and later opened another clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. In 2011 he opened The Rogers Cancer Institute in Brownsville/Matamoros, Mexico. His website is www.doctorofhope.com. He is an Anikutani Priest of The Ancient Cherokee Church of the One God, Yohewaah.

He seems as phony as Joseph Smith's $3 bill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 09:40AM

Didn't this guy do the treatment of Steve McQueen back in the day?

Date: October 24, 2014 10:17AM

I don't think it was Rogers. The media reported that Dr. Rodrigo Rodriguez supervised his treatment.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077667,00.html

In any case, it didn't cure him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/15/health/15essa.html?_r=0

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:00AM

allopathic oncology=assisted suicide

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 05:34PM

Thanks!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 06:21PM

You DO realise that allopathic oncology is the standard treatment for cancer, involving surgery, drug treatment, etc?

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:17AM

I would hate being on this list. They all seem hokey. Herbalists, Osmonds, Skousens, Chiropractors, Naturopaths, "Indian Chiefs", and people living under rocks . . . SERIOUSLY? This is the best defense the BOM has? Hahaha.

Date: October 24, 2014 10:19AM

Ditto. An embarrassment to the LDS church.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 07:00PM

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 09:46PM

"He is an Anikutani Priest of The Ancient Cherokee Church of the One God, Yohewaah."

Um, NO. There is no "Ancient Cherokee Church." Cherokees, like other Native Americans, practiced earth-based spirituality. They did not believe in the "One God" concept, nor did they ever use the word "church" to describe their spiritual practices and beliefs.

Not only that, Cherokee spirituality does not have a "priesthood" (a Judeo-Christian concept). Important to their belief system are the four cardinal directions (with their representative colors), the seven clans (each represented by an animal), the owl and cougar, and the sacred trees. Medicine people exist, but they are not priests as Western religion understands the term. Medicine, conjuring, and witchcraft (NOT Western-style European witchcraft, however) are also important.

As a child, I learned about Cherokee spirituality from my grandfather, who was Cherokee and grew up on the reservation in Oklahoma.

(For more info, see http://www.cherokee.org/AboutTheNation/Culture/General/TheTraditionalBeliefSystem.aspx )

Rogers' website looks unprofessional and even fraudulent. The fact that he's telling outright lies about the spiritual path is a huge red flag.

Date: October 24, 2014 10:09PM

Thank you. He is the "chief" of the Cherokee Nation of Mexico http://cherokeenationofsequoyah.com/ but Mexico does not recognize his claim anymore than the United States does.

Fabricated tribes create many problems for the Cherokee peoples.
http://taskforce.cherokee.org/Portals/3/Exhibits/Fabricated%20Tribes%20Resolution.pdf

I emailed the Cherokee Nation and will post an update when I get a reply. Members of the LDS church ought to seriously question their own members who use fraudulent individuals and known hoax artifacts.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:28PM

The FIRM (Foundation for Indigenous Research and Mormonism) Foundation's
"Book of Mormon Evidence Conference"

Oxy Moron? how firm a FOUNDation inDIGenous reSEARCH and mORmonism's EVIDENCE OF MORMON BOOK CONFERENCE

From the conference's page:
"The FIRM Foundation, Butterflyexpress Essential Oils, Numanna Food Storage and the Provo Daily Herald are pleased to sponsor the Do It Now Expo, to be held October 9th, 10th and 11th at Utah Valley Universities UCCU Events Center. The Expo features the 14th Semi-Annual International Book of Mormon Evidence Conference and will have over 50 Speakers conducting over 100 classes over the three day event. This will be a weekend you'll never forget!"

The whole thing sounds crazy
Some interesting, some wackos

One participant:
"LDS painter David Lindsley exhibited artistic talent at an early age. At age 11, he studied with legendary artist Jon Gnagy and later received art scholarships for college and university training. David has also studied with artists Daniel Greene and Tom Browning. From 8x10-inch miniatures to 8x10-foot murals, he works exclusively in oils and has created commissioned works for private collections, colleges, publications, and corporations, including the LDS Church. His portrait of Joseph Smith standing before the Kirtland, Ohio Temple holding the Book of Mormon in his outstretched hand was chosen to depict the Prophet Joseph on the front cover of the church’s manual “Teachings of Presidents of the Church; Joseph Smith” being studied this year.

David tells the story behind his incredible painting of the prophet and his desire to create on canvas the historic reality of events, people and places from the scriptures and Church history. He unveiled for the first time a newly completed masterful original art piece of the tender scene from the Book of Mormon wherein the Savior takes the little children into his arms for a very special moment in history. This scene, depicted in a backdrop from an ancient culture that once flourished in the Heartland of America, gives the viewer a profound sense of the Savior’s love and compassion as well as the beauty and hope of innocent children."

From above: "...corporations, Like the LDS church..."

(Thanks icedtea for the info)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 01:57AM by moremany.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:05AM

"allopathic" ????

that's the derogotory term chiropractors use fo real medical doctors.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 09:48PM

No. Allopathic is is NOT the derogatory term chiropractors use for real medical doctors.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/allopathic

Date: November 21, 2014 05:14PM

I just received an email reply from the Cherokee Nation Communications Office, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

They informed me that Charles L. Rogers is not in any way affiliated with the Cherokee Nation. He is not a Chief of any recognized tribe and Cherokee do not have "priests".

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 06:30PM

In 1987, there was no "Grace University." It didn't become "Grace University" until 1995. Until then, it was "Grace College of the Bible."
It did not then, nor does it now, offer an MD program.
The university does not have ANY doctorate/PhD/MD programs, and only offers *one* master's degree (master of arts).
It has a total enrollment of less than 500 students.

Finally "homeopathy" is not a "medical" field of study, nor is it a practice recognized by the American Medical Association. The reason is that it is proven-false nonsense.

So, in short: credentials are clearly false, "Cherokee" tribe affiliation is clearly false (see michaelm's post below), and this person claims to "practice" in proven-nonsense field that is NOT 'medicine.'

Calling him "phony" is being far too kind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 06:34PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: November 21, 2014 06:43PM

From what I can find, his medical training was at Grace University School of Medicine, Nevis, West Indies.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 06:47PM

michaelm (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I can find, his medical training was at
> Grace University School of Medicine, Nevis, West
> Indies.

Oh, one of the famous Caribbean 'medical schools,' huh?
That's even worse than Grace University in the US :)

That one lost its accreditation, and closed. It then re-opened, without accreditation, in Belize.

https://imed.faimer.org/details.asp?country=661&school=Grace+University&currpage=1&cname=SAINT+KITTS+AND+NEVIS&city=&region=CA&rname=Central+America%2FCaribbean&mcode=661010&psize=25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 06:50PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: November 21, 2014 06:48PM

It looks like Grace University School of Medicine no longer exists. I think Belize shut them down.

Date: November 22, 2014 07:41PM

Thanks Matt. It looks like there was/is an affiliate school in London.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/uk-squatter-schools.244186/

The Caribbean/Belize campus no longer exists.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:41AM

A big fake load of lies and garbage preying on the desperate and hopeless. He's happy to steal your time and money. Please use some sense and don't give this con anything.

Date: November 22, 2014 02:41AM

Rod Meldrum is selling snake oil and at his latest conference he included this fake Cherokee who is selling fake cures for cancer. Such are the fruits of Mormonism, a church founded by a conman.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:44PM

The people at FIRM look like a bunch of true believers trying to defend a myth. But that's their problem.

Apparently Chief Rogers was hoodwinked by the Lamanite myth. Again, his problem. Homeopathy is so poorly understood that even if it works, it doesn't. In other words, the evidence points both ways.

If you have a bug up your ass about people who are into the metaphysical, that's your problem.

Date: November 22, 2014 06:13PM

A bug up my ass about the metaphysical? Rogers IS NOT a chief, nor is he a member of ANY recognized tribe. I have an email from the Cherokee Nation about him. What bug is up your ass?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 06:28PM

Reading this thread, I am proud to be an RFM board member.

Way to go, scam-busting skeptics!

I have found that after you get taken in by the cult, you never take anything at face value again, and always do your homework.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.