Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:50PM

I was embarrassed about the insanity which is the CULT way back when I got out of it. And back then much less of the crap was generally known.
I can't imagine the level of embarrassment to be associated with such a joke of a religion would be like now.
For those of you who see and talk to TBMs regularly, are they acting embarrassed?
My cousin avoids the topic of her CULT at all costs. She is a non-confrontational person (following the profit at any cost), butI am wondering if other TMBs are embarrassed.

Can someone tell me what the hell a NEW ORDER MORMON is....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:56PM

New Order Mormons basically know that the church is not true or know that it is not what it claims to be. But they either like the culture and traditions of the church or have family members, friends, neighbors, and bosses in the church. So they play along and pretend to be Mormon even though they do not believe, or are pretty heretical in their beliefs. They do it all for social and economic reasons. They want to keep the peace and maintain the status quo.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:59PM

That's pretty much every Mormon I know my age. No one really believes it but they go along to get along. I'm so glad I don't have that family pressure (although my in laws think I'm literally the devil).

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:57PM

Yes, I think that many are embarrassed. I was at times when I was TBM... it makes sharing the gospel difficult because it's a hard sell.

"Can someone tell me what the hell a NEW ORDER MORMON is"

A cafeteria Mormon. They pick and choose what they want to believe, but don't necessarily have to believe in the truth claims of the church.

http://www.newordermormon.org/

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:14PM

Yes, it's starting to go there. With all this turmoil at COB, there is no way that some members, at least, will not pick up on this. Based on their previous performances and going forward, the Church inadvertantly creates more damaging releases or "revelations" as it lumbers along trying to stem loss and leakage.

PR Dept./Media Relations=IDIOTS.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:30PM

I don't see a lot of TBMs being embarrassed for being a TBM. They are self-conscious about a lot of things, but not about their unique status.

When I left the LDS church I really wasn't embarrassed either. I only regret the harm that I did to others, not the weird decisions I made or the weird religion I decided to follow. I couldn't care less if someone thinks poorly of me because I used to be Mormon. I have a lot of people in my life and have no use for those types of folks.

a New Order Mormon is a person who continues to be active within the church, but doesn't believe. They tend to get a lot of flack from people on this board.

Posted by: sunsetgirl ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 05:04PM

I recently heard a teenager express that she was embarrassed about the church's treatment of gays. At her high school she gets questions all the time about her view on gays.

She stated that she's embarrassed to have to tell them what the church believes about homosexuality.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 05:16PM

One of the sales points that I made as a Mormon missionary was a presumptive close.

I would teach the Mormon teachings, soft close, "do you believe __________ (Mormon specific thing, families forever, BoM, Joseph Smith, modern prophets, god loves us as much as today as he did in the times of Jesus), then close with......

"Since you believe ___________, would you like to join others that believe the same thing by being baptized on ......."

I think the same tools can be used on NOMs and apologetics TBMs that disavow Mormon teachings, doctrines, and beliefs. If they don0't believe Mormon things, why do they remain Mormon?

Mormonism is a lifestyle choice!

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 10:47AM

Just think how her week will be next week as the non Mormons learn that LDS admits Smith was a horndog pedophile. There are going to be a ton of non Mormons in Utah looking for payback for years of abuse from self righteous Mormons.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 06:41PM

Last Summer, some people of my nevermo family stopped by for a visit. We took them around SLC. They were impressed by the temple. My cousin asked what went on in the temple. I asked my TBM wife to explain. She looked at me with the deer-in-the-headlight stare. I thought that was pretty revealing. Boner.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:55PM

Man boner, you got some great stories.

I feel for your wife, because I don't think it was just embarrassment. Compounding her dilemma was the double bind of not being able to tell the truth because it's too sacred to talk about. It's just another burden put on the members who try to be faithful. I guess it all seems easy to the Big Guys as they sit around the table with their costumes on.

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:13PM

For many years, living outside the Morridor, it has seemed to me that most Mormons are a little embarassed.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:54PM

So a NEW ORDER MORMON is as phony as a 3 dollar bill, OK. GAWD LIFE IS SHORT FOR SUCH CRAP!

"but not about their unique status" - serial killers have a unique status too........BFD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 08:57PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: lovelilith ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 10:07PM

A new order mormon is someone who realizes the church isn't what it claims to be, but has a need to continue to attend or maintain some level of activity. Usually, the reason is to keep a marriage intact, or other family-related issues. They're not phonies; they're in a tough spot.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 10:18PM

I actually think my TBM father is embarrassed about Mormon beliefs. He refuses to talk about them unless he's in a hush-hush situation with people far more orthodox than I am.

He does, however, strongly believe in the rituals. I think they seem safe to him because they're always done in private. They also make him feel important. He's been a patriarch and a temple sealer, where he doesn't have to know much doctrine. All he has to do is feel the Spirit and be in authority, a situation he likes very much.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 12:07AM

A new order Mormon is a cafeteria Mormon. They pick and choose what they believe. Some may believe very little of the religion, but stay in for a variety of reasons (familial, social, work-related, etc.)

There is a message board specifically for NOMs. There is some crossover in membership between their board and ours. Or some people start on one board, and then go to the other.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:02AM

then what is it called when young mormons smoke, drink, party, skip church, etc.. then once they get married they're in the underwear and super laced up? Is that just most tbms?

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:19AM

That's called---almost every Mormon teenager I ever knew. Most of the worst offenders are now in leadership positions.

One of my TBM family members (who sporadically contacts me) always likes to tell me about those people and their high up callings. I in turn like to add a number of stories of that leader eg., when they were at a party high on mushrooms and chugging beers till they passed out. It always goes down well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.