Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:06PM

I'm curious if there are so many questions TBMs can't answer as to make talking to them about the recent "Expossays" similar to talking to a wall. These are the kinds of questions like, "Why would God ask Abraham to kill his son?" I've heard TBMs answer that one with stuff like "a type and similitude of The Atonement" crap.

I thought of one I think is really good.

Why would God require His prophet to marry a kid?

Marrying a 14 year old girl is not "a type and similitude" of anything as honorable as "The Atonement" that I can think of? Thoughts?

Any other zinger questions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 01:07PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:12PM

"If the Nauvoo Expositor actually published the truth about JS's polygamy, then why did he destroy it, leading to his death?"

A subject mentioned several times here on RfM the last few days. I guess TBM's would come up with some line like "It was part of God's plan." or "The Adversary did it."

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:17PM

According to my father (from my recollection of how he explained it to me several years ago)...he was justified and took necessary action because he needed to stay clear of the law and be free to lead the church.

that kind of backfired, didn't it, considering it DID lead to his death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 02:17PM by claire.

Posted by: london ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:24PM

If I go to the Telestial Kingdom and my wife ends up there too, what will prevent me from living with her forever in an immortal state? Are they going to post Angel sentinels on every street corner and in every pub in the T-Kingdom to prevent families from being together forever?

Why is it LDS spend millions of man hours every year "serving" the dead both with genealogical research and Temple "work," when the world is so full of people in the here and now who suffer unimaginable horrors. I would think a kind and loving God would be more interested in the pain and suffering of his living children more than "required ordinances," to get in His special club in the hereafter. Isn't Jesus who said, "let the dead bury the dead," meaning his disciples could do more for the living than the diseased?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:03PM

And--Why does God-Almighty-Creator-of-The-Universe, Knower-of-every-sparrow-that-falls need a handful of Mormons to do ordinances and keep records for the spirits in God's Perfect Heaven?

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:23PM

If everyone gets all the required ordinances done by proxy anyway, what's the point in making the requirement in the first place? Can't you take one 12 year old and baptize him 'for and in behalf of every Tom Dick and Harry who has ever died..Amen' and just be done with it.

Posted by: haeckel ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:52PM

This made me guffaw aloud in the office, and something that has crossed my mind in the past.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 10:14AM

Considering that the need of ordinances is universal, all the people that died and never left any record in eons past, including before any writing system was developed, it's not possible to complete the work without recurring to "magic". The LDS instinctively do exactly that by answering that "it will be solved by the Lord in the hereafter" or that "In the millenium everything will be solved".

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:20PM

Mormons] to atone for everyone's sin, why didn't he finish the job by getting baptized and doing their temple work, too?"

Why would he require stand-in for every person that ever lived, since that is expensive, horribly inefficient, and actually IMPOSSIBLE, to do?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 08:40AM

What I heard was that all the men except certain 'special' ones will be castrated eunuchs. j. fielding smith published that in Doctrines of Salvation.
Mormonism tends to paint people into the corner and ugly notions tend to spring out of it.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:28PM

My favorite question for them..."What is doctrine?"

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:38PM

Then there's that 150~ pounds of useless gold plate that Horny Joe was obliged to defend with his life.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1415113

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:47PM

How come your feelings about Mormonism are more True than a devoted Muslim's feelings about Islam?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 02:48PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:55PM

What are the top 5 most important prophetic revelations from God in the past 20 years?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:09PM

Good question, not sure it would get a serious answer. I think it is so transparent for outsiders to see the Church lags society and responds to social, political, and legal requirement.

With a Prophet of God leading the way it should be first and right, instead of last and wrong.

I still think it is tragic how the Mormon church did such a poor job on the slavery issues when there were millions of religious people up in arms about slavery in the 1800's.

It is shameful. When people talk about the virtues and beauty of Mormonism I struggle to find many if one.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:12PM

well for starters...
1) no more than one earring in an ear
2) tatoos are horrible
3) members must clean their own chapels
4) proposition 8 is really bad!!!
5) send younger (naive) missionaries out

Posted by: tecumseh ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:57PM

If we should dismiss some of the teachings of past prophets because they were only speaking as men, are the current leaders also teaching things that should be dismissed?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:15PM

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:57PM

What are those things you guys are hiding in the vault at COB?

Why do you feel a need to hide things from your members?

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:43PM

So that Dan Brown will put us in a book

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:07PM

Why do they haven "graven images" of Jesus and JS?

Explain why the SLC Temple has occult symbols on it.

Did you know there were elevators in use in 1793? Looong before the SLC temple was built. Referring to the miracle story of the empty elevator shaft.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:38PM

Why someone loves someone who shares the same gender.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:45PM

Why are you better than me when my underwear is manly and yours isn't?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:47PM

about those pictures of Joe sitting at a table with the plates that TSCC provided for church open houses...

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 10:04PM

1. If God handed Moses tablets with the 10 Commandments, why couldn't he just hand Joseph Smith a copy of the BOM in English, rather than making him translate them with a rock in a hat?

2. Why didn't the mormon God realize that commanding polygamy wouldn't result in females being to able have more kids than if they were each married to one man? Giving that as a reason for ordering Polygamy, the mormon God must be stupid.

3. Why was the Mormon God racist, so much so that the Big 15 had to go to him and plead with him to give the priesthood to blacks? By doing so, they are either saying they have more ethics than the mormon god, or admitting the whole thing was made up by men, and not God.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 10:54PM

"Why would God require His prophet to marry a kid?"

Many early church members such as Brigham Young, Sidney Rigdon, James Strang, william Law,and Emma Smith viewed Joseph Smith as a fallen prophet who no longer had inspiration from God.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 11:23PM

What lies did the Nauvoo Expositor print?

The manuals say it printed vicious lies - what were they? So far no Lds types have ever come up with any.

Posted by: NNT ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 12:35AM

What is so wrong with people that you have to send your only begotten to suffer a horrible death that most people will never know about, care about, or "accept" has an atonement for their sins?

How is it that simple human beings have created moral codes and legal systems that far exceed the moral capacity (as seen through actions) of their creator god?

Why is faith (actively seeking to be ignorant) a prerequisite for knowing eternal truth, when it isn't necessary for knowing other kinds of truth...you know like math and physics?

Why is Bednar such a d@ckhead?

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:33AM

"we have pleaded long and earnestly in behalf of these, our faithful brethren, spending many hours in the Upper Room of the Temple supplicating the Lord for divine guidance. He has heard our prayers, and by revelation has confirmed that the long-promised day has come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood"

1) How do members square the above prophetic words from Official Declaration 2 with the recent admission that God had nothing to do with the PH restriction?
2) Why did such a succession of prophets also get this so badly wrong?
3) Could this be defined as leading people astray?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 06:37AM by sherlock.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 07:53AM

Variation --- if Thomas Monson said God commanded that you needed to allow him to marry your teen daughter, thereby guaranteeing eternal life for you and your family, what would you say?

Say yes and you prove the TBM is beyond hope.
Say No and you prove they thought JS was wrong

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 08:04AM

Bednar's hair...why?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 09:13AM

Actually, I find the whole concept of an atonement primitive to the point of sounding downright Stone Age. A blood offering to appease a god? Really?

And then ritually reenact it every 7th day for millenia is creepy and weird in its own right. But hey, that's just me.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 09:20AM

Mormons are Stupid. Sorry but I class myself like that too for some periods of my life.

I asked a married LDS woman, what would she do/think if the current LDS Prophet said she must marry him as one of his polygamous wives(as Smith did to numerous women).

Rather than be outraged at the suggestion, she replied I would pray about it for confirmation of the spirit.

In other words she would somehow convince herself that it is for the greater good and necessary and would obey.

I realised that I was surrounded by just plain stupidity and gullibility, despite being very nice people whom I still can respect and not hate.

Not what I wanted to conclude but what else if they are not complete idiots? Brainwashed Victims perhaps? Yes ok.

I asked a smart intelligent missionary what would he do if Joseph Smith was propositioning his girlfriend while he was on the mission teaching me. He replied I would smack him one! ie a big Thump! lol

Yes he said that!! and was a believer..............however around 3 years later he was out of the cult as I predicted to him!

Not out fully as he is stuck for family reasons, but inactive and most likely not tithing either and instead challenging his LDS family and friends.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 09:56AM

What theological basis or societal need was there to sex up other men's wives?

Posted by: NNT ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 01:14PM

If Thomas s Monson commanded using his preisthood you to kill would you?

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:21PM

Joseph Smith penned the Articles of Faith in the Wentworth letter in 1842 (Wentworth was the editor of the Chicago Democrat), "12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law," and had been breaking the bigamy laws when he started marrying multiple girls/women and other men's wives. So my question is, what the hell? The LDS church was founded by a horndog treasure-seeking con-man who continually lied to his wife, the church, and the public. Why should he be believed? How can anyone get the warm fuzzy feeling from someone of his character? How can anyone think that God would "restore" his original church with such a person?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.