Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 12:51AM

Already did initial application and now filling out detailed info for it, but know I should get a lawyer at this point. I was denied 10 years ago for ssdi and now I am applying for ssi.

I had a lawyer then, myler in Utah county, horrible. I never met a real lawyer. But they were so nice until after I signed the payor agreement, then they treated me like a stupid crazy person. Seriously it was awful.

They wouldn't appeal after alj judge denied it. So, obviously I can't go there nor would I. Any advice?

I should have gotten it then. The time I went to the hearing I was considered disabled, but my lawyer went way back on the dates and so they said I wasn't disabled enough by those dates.

This time there should not be any problem. it is ssi and I have plenty of documentation, though I did last time. But I have many things going on.

Thanks for your help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:28AM

that you don't need a lawyer just yet. Go ahead and file your claim. Be sure to stress on the application how your disabling condition hinders you in day-to-day living, especially in the things that you LOVE doing (if this is true, of course.)

Very concrete examples, like "I used to walk a mile every day before work, summer and winter. Now, it's all I can do to get out to the mailbox and back to my house. Sometimes, I can't even do that. I have to ask my neighbor to bring my mail in for me."

Or: "I used to be such a neat freak about keeping my house clean. Now, if I vacuum at all, I can only do one room at a time, very slowly. Same with dusting. My son has to take out the garbage for me. I can't do that at all. I'm ashamed of how my bathrooms look. I do what I can, but that isn't much."

Give very precise examples, like these, of what you used to be able to do or what you wish you could do, and then explain how your condition prevents you from doing it. An application that says "I can't do anything" isn't worth the paper it's written on. If your doctors back up what you say, you've got a fighting chance.

Oh - your doctors need to be very specific, too. If a doctor just writes "This person is totally and permanently disabled," that is WORTHLESS. They need to state in detail - very much like the examples I gave you - maybe you needed assistance to get on and off the examining table. Maybe your vision was too poor to fill out the doctor's forms. Whatever. DETAIL!!!

If your initial application is denied, THEN call in an attorney if you wish, one that SPECIALIZES in disability. And if you can, ask around. I've met so-called "disability attorneys" who didn't know their own backsides from a barn door.

I've known a lot of retired SSA employees who do disability advocacy. THEY generally know the rules and can help a lot. They don't usually charge as much as attorneys, won't charge anything unless you win the case (ALWAYS ask about this up-front) and in most cases, they know the rules better than the attorneys do. So try checking the internet or the phone book for "disability advocates."

Good luck.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:27AM

Thanks catnip, that was very helpful advice!!! My house is a mess. I am embarrassed by how it is, and even though I want to get it clean, I am overwhelmed and never can get through vey much. I mean this paperwork is freaking me out. I haven't had the energy to start on it and now it is due.

That makes sense to be specific. I bought an electric scoote wita seat this spring so I could walk my dog again. I used it a bit then stopped. I can't walk her like I used to and I feel guilty. I have started driving her to a dog park that is fenced, but I can only manage that once or twice a week.

so yeah, I feel an awful lot of guilt. My ex when he lived local would come over to get myson and start cleaning. I have not had a totally clean house since he was last staying here in January. So yeah, it sucks.

Thanks. Kinda relieved I don't need a lawyer yet. I hope that I won't.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 12:20PM

My wife filed three times. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! It takes time and determination, not a lawyer. The paperwork may be daunting, but get it done. KEEP COPIES! You never know when you may need to look back at information you think they already have (and they do) but ask for it again!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.