Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Strangite ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:59PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:43PM

To paraphrase:

Do you believe in God, Holy Ghost, and Jesus as redeemer?
Do you believe in the restoration?
Do you sustain the prophet as the only one on earth with authority to exercise all priesthood keys?
Do you sustain the prophet/apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators?
Do you support apostate or anti-mormon groups?
Do you attend your meetings, pay tithing, keep covenants?
Are you honest with your fellow men?
Keep the law of chastity?
Meet obligations if Divorced?
Wear the temple garment as instructed?
Consider yourself worthy?

Posted by: Bookrattnli ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:22PM

Prophet as in current one only, and nothing specific about JS?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:01PM

Do you believe in all this crap?

Posted by: I_am_me ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:04PM

"Do you support apostate or anti-mormon groups?"

I remember it as "do you support or sympathize with..."

I always thought, "It's a good thing I don't know of any apostate groups, because I KNOW I would sympathize with them." I am a very sympathetic person. I have always sought to understand other views and where the people are coming from. It seemed like a rather disingenious question to me.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:07PM

"Do you attend your meetings?"

This is actually, "Do you attend your priesthood meetings?" It is even asked of the sisters. The explanation was that Relief Society is a priesthood meeting because it is under the direction of the priesthood. Seemed like a dumb explanation to me.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:15PM

Yup. I was paraphrasing. When I was giving these interviews I always emphasized the striving part, and left out priesthood when interviewing women on the meetings question.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:32PM

Here is what I remember (14 questions):

Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

Do you live the law of chastity?

Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

Are you a full-tithe payer? Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?

Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

If you have previously received your temple endowment: Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

Now my brain hurts....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 04:33PM by moose.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:41PM

Guess I should have just googled for it.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/veilworker/recommend.shtml

This are what I was trying to express. Notice #6 does say sympathize and #7 also includes priesthood meetings.

"6. Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or do you sympathize with the precepts of any such group or individual?

7. Do you earnestly strive to do your duty in the Church; to attend your sacrament, priesthood, and other meetings; and to obey the rules, laws, and commandments of the gospel?"

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:51PM

http://lds4u.com/lesson5/templequestions.htm

1) Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?
2) Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?
3) Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
4) Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?
5) Do you live the law of chastity?
6) Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?
7) Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
8) Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?
9) Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?
10) Are you a full-tithe payer? Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?
11) Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?
12) If you have previously received your temple endowment: Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
13) Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?
14) Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

Posted by: Hugh Geoffens-Kaamm ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:00PM

All about belief and rule following. The only one that even gets close to leading a christlike life is #9. So you don't have to treat your fellow humans as jesus would in order to gain access to that that windowless box of crazy . . . just espouse the right set of silly beliefs and do what we tell you. Why can't intelligent people see through the temple swindle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 05:00PM by mly.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:07PM

Just as a refresher, here are the questions (and answers) to get OUT of the temple...

LORD: What is wanted?
WORKER: Adam, having been true and faithful in all things, desires further light and knowledge by conversing with the Lord through the veil [for and in behalf of _________, who is dead].
LORD: Present him at the veil, and his request shall be granted.

First Token of the Aaronic Priesthood
LORD: What is that?
INITIATE: The first token of the Aaronic priesthood.
LORD: Has it a name?
INITIATE: It has.
LORD: Will you give it to me?
INITIATE: I will, through the veil.
[The initiate gives the token's name.]

Second Token of the Aaronic Priesthood
INITIATE: The second token of the Aaronic priesthood.

First Token of the Melchizedek Priesthood
INITIATE: The first token of the Melchizedek priesthood, or Sign of the Nail.

Second Token of the Melchizedek Priesthood
INITIATE: The second token of the Melchizedek priesthood, the patriarchal grip, or Sure Sign of the Nail.
INITIATE: I cannot. I have not yet received it. For this purpose I have come to converse with the Lord through the veil.
LORD: You shall receive it, upon the five points of fellowship, through the veil.
[Still holding the patriarchal grip, the initiate and the person representing the Lord embrace upon the five points of fellowship through the veil. The initiate's left arm passes through the mark of the compass, and the left arm of the person representing the Lord passes through the mark of the square. The person representing the Lord speaks into the initiate's ear the name of the token.]
INITIATE: The second token of the Melchizedek priesthood, the patriarchal grip, or Sure Sign of the Nail.
INITIATE: I will, upon the five points of fellowship, through the veil.
[The initiate speaks back the name of the token.]
LORD: That is correct.

Admission through the Veil
[The initiate returns to the part in the veil; the worker taps three times with the mallet.]
LORD: What is wanted?
WORKER: Adam, having conversed with the Lord through the veil, desires now to enter his presence.
LORD: Let him enter.
[The initiate is brought through the veil into the Celestial Room.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 05:08PM by wowbagger.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 03:01PM

No five points of fellowship when I went. I wonder when they took that out? I went the first time in 2006, I believe.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 05:55PM

claire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No five points of fellowship when I went. I
> wonder when they took that out? I went the first
> time in 2006, I believe.

dammit, i am showing my age. should not have revealed this. rather than do so, I should have suffered my life....to be taken.

i think the five points and "life suffering to be taken" stuff was removed in the early 90's but i dunno for sure.

Date: October 28, 2014 05:13PM

It appears there should be no questions, only a "Welcome to the house of the Lord."

All of that other gobbledygook is bullshit.

I'm resigning from the cult.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:11PM

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:45AM

missionaries come to my door and I inquire, "What is wanted?"

Wowbagger's post, re-hashing the nonsense that goes on at the curtain, brings back so many moments when I was dumbstruck between wanting to giggle hysterically or else get up and run (but would have been hindered by the layers upon layers of temple garb.)

The endless repetitions ("Has it a name?") are enough to make you want to go outside and smoke something illegal.

How did ANY of us make it through this baloney???

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:47PM

Do do you think it's really worth it?

Date: October 30, 2014 12:44PM

I'm glad that my nephews and neices don't have the threat of throat slashing and disembowelment.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 04:49PM

The thing about the TR questions, is that once one is fully versed in Mormonism there is no way to answer honestly and pass.

Either you don't believe in the restoration (as commonly understood) and sustain the prophets, seers and revelators above you, or you are dishonest.

I know the NOM tendency is to weasel word and say well what does restoration mean to me etc. But we know dashed well what it means: First Vision, Priesthood Restoration, temple restoration, Book of Mormon, D&C, POGP, all through Joseph Smith Amen.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 05:07PM

Redolent of Mason ritual, of course.

Date: October 30, 2014 05:45PM

Ask them, hey do I need to slash my throat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.