Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anniegal ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:18PM

a letter to the Questins & Answers column written by an Exmormon couple who had converted to catholism. They had concerns about tithing. They explained that they were confused by how to tithe to the Catholic Church. They explained how it was mandatory to tithe 10% of income to the LDS church. They wanted to do the same for the Catholic Church but no one had mentioned anything to them about it.

The catholic Priest replied that tithing was mandatory in the mosaic laws of the Old Testament but not necessarily required in the church. Though tithing is important to run a parish, no one was demanded to pay. Tithing was to be done in faith and the amount determined by your heart. The priest stated that the mandatory 10% tithe required by the Mormon church by means of getting blessings was nothing but extortion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ridiculous ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:20PM

Do you have a link or a reference? I would be interested in reading that. Thank you

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 07:37PM

See 1 Corinthians 16:2. 10 percent is the Mosaic Law. Boner

Posted by: ridiculous ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 07:54PM

Sorry, I meant the name of the Catholic magazine, or the link to it...

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:41PM

Good for him! And I think he was right.
But I can't help but think about the Vatican on the other hand.

Posted by: canuckguy ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:51PM

a Church tax is taken by the government from those who are affiliated with official church. The tax seems to range around 1% of income. See this article on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe#Governmental_collection_of_religious_offerings_and_taxes

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 07:05PM

The idea of the government taxing the public for church support only applies in countries where there are state churches. The answer of the priest about the Roman church's stance on offerings to the church is consistent with many other churches as well.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 08:31PM

Average church offerings in the U.S. run between 2-3% of income. Catholics tend to give on the low end of that. The answer given is correct in that individual Catholic church members and their families determine what they wish to give. I never once heard the word "tithing" while growing up Catholic. I believe that the word "offerings" is more commonly used.

Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 08:37PM

I concur with the others. I have been told that you can split up your offerings with the church and whatever charity or charities you chose to support.

Posted by: Agate ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 10:58PM

The Catholic Church also considers volunteering to be part of tithing as well.

Posted by: Press ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:01AM

One of the precepts of the Catholic Church is to provide for the material needs of the Church, "each according to his abilities" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2043).

As I understand it, lay Catholics are at liberty to determine how this precept is applied.

According to the New York Times, "Among non-Mormon people of faith in the United States, evangelical Protestants and Pentecostals tend to give the highest percentage of their income to charity, Catholics close to the lowest" (Michael Paulson, "To Tithe or Not to Tithe ...", January 28, 2012).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:07AM

Authentic Christians need to know that LDS is not donate according to your faith, but pay-or-else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.