Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:42PM

I mean if I did even half of the things the cult has just admitted that JS did, I could be in some serious shit and everyone that knew me would be disgusted in me.

And if I followed any Q15 since JS, I would have to develop some conmen, lieing and whitewashing skills.

Or maybe the song needs some small print disclaimers, like

Don't have sex with other men's wives
Don't marry or have sex with your foster daughters or teens as young as 14
Don't destroy printing press companies
Don't make up false scriptures

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:00PM

Too late for that. But, it might not be sung as much during sacrament meeting.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:07PM

You can't follow what is not leading you.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:30PM

Someone SHOULD have followed him - to keep him out of trouble.

Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don't [let him] go astray.
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; your wife he wants today.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:39PM

Yes but simply because that is an ugly ass song!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:41PM

They'll just say that it refers to the modern day prophet.

Praise to the Man on the other hand, definitely needs to go. One of my evangelical friends was absolutely outraged when she heard about that song from a Mormon because to her, praise is only to God, not some womanizing con man. I couldn't disagree there.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:52PM

"Praise to the Man on the other hand, definitely needs to go. One of my evangelical friends was absolutely outraged when she heard about that song from a Mormon because to her, praise is only to God, not some womanizing con man. I couldn't disagree there."

Agreed. Hearing that song literally makes me sick. Even my TBM wife agrees that it's a stupid song and that nobody should be singing praise to Joe, prophet or not.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:08PM

As I mentioned in another thread, they have added a new official verse. OFFICIAL, as in to be sung in Sacrament Meeting (in the Direct from Headquarters Primary Program- no deviations from the script are to be even entertained as thoughts). The new OFFICIAL verse extols the many virtues of Tom Monson, Prophet Extraordinaire.

Let us now sing the praises of our Dear Leader.

I kid you not.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:15PM

"Or maybe the song needs some small print disclaimers, like"
some good ones. How about

"incest is a crime. Have sex with your daughters/step daughters/daughter's friends and rot in jail. Have a nice day :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:27PM

I think that "Follow the Prophet" is particularly dangerous to little minds because it is catchy, with its "DUM-da-da DUM" repetitive rhythm. The words probably don't mean much at first, but with repetition, it becomes indoctrination. And you know how it goes with Mormons. They tend to think what they have been taught to think, without it ever going through a processing filter. The first time I heard it, as a newbie, there was a verse about ETB, and I thought that was kind of cool, including the current Big Cheese in a song.

"Praise to the Man" DEFINITELY needs to go. It is idolatrous, and besides, they kidnapped the music for "Scotland the Brave," which I think is unforgivable. The lyrics would lead you to believe that JS ranked right up there in the Deist Dynasty, at the very least. Deifying someone of that moral caliber is just WRONG. But of course, Mormons don't KNOW that he was a professional con artist and scumbag, because they haven't been taught that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.