Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:34PM

I know this has been discussed here before, but I didn't pay much attention because there weren't any babies born to Mormon parents on the scene for quite a while in our family.

Now we have a new granddaughter and inactive DH has been invited to be in the blessing circle. Don't you have to have a temple recommend to do that? DH has not held a temple recommend in all the decades I've known him.

The upcoming blessing is this weekend, so please let me know ASAP!

Thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:37PM

Does he want to be in the circle? If so, he should call the bishoprick and ask if its OK. If he doesn't want to, he should still call and say he feels like he doesn't want to.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:08PM

I agree. You should have it cleared before the event. Otherwise, it could end up being an embarrassing situation.

Posted by: oldspeak ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:43PM

Nope. He just has to have the priesthood. The magic only stops working if he's been disfellowshipped or excommunicated.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:11AM

I think it depends on the bishop. I have personally witnessed them requiring temple recommends...

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:42PM

Some Bishops check recommends in order to verify holding of the priesthood. A TR is not *required*, but if you are an "unknown" to the Bish, you may get queried for a TR.

To recap:

A TR is not required to stand in the circle. The Melchizedek priesthood is. The TR is a way to validate, but only if the Bish chooses to do so.

In my own experience, most of the time the Bish (or whoever is conducting the meeting) will just ask for those who have been invited to stand in the circle to come forward. No validation. No TR.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:47AM

I've also heard it's up to each Bishop. Thanks for clarifying why

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:47PM

It depends.

Where we live, you have to show your temple recommend to the bishop before you can be in the circle.

My dh wasn't allowed to be in the circle with our youngest ds.

Damn cult.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:25PM

Stake by stake basis...usually nowadays, must show TR.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:35PM

I've been in many circles for nieces and nephews in the last decade and I've never had to show a recommend...never even heard of that. I've seen fathers give blessings that I know didn't have current recommends as well. It sounds like bishops just make up whatever rules they want. Never even heard of having to be "temple worthy" to baptize a child until last year...brother's bishop made him catch up on tithing before baptizing his son...told him it was new church policy. I then heard the same thing from TBM wife after it was discussed in ward council. Still not sure if this is actually church-wide policy, but it sounds like the AA is at least spreading this around our area.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:38PM

"just make up whatever rules they want" - seems to the a recurring theme in the CULT doesn't it?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 03:41PM

Yes, they just make up their own rules. They have such a need to assert their made up POWER and AUTHORITY. But most of them are pussies and if you stand up to them, they will quickly back down. Like what's going to happen if someone isn't "worthy." God will tell the baby, "sorry, no blessing for you"?

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:42PM

My friend was asked to stand in the circle, and he wasn't going to because he didn't want to make a fuss, since all the family there knew he was "out..." But, he did anyway because the family really wanted him to. Nobody said anything.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:34PM

From CHI p.140 "a Bishop may allow a father who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood to name and bless his children even if the father is not fully temple worthy." But, as note by others, he may not "act as voice" for confirmation, or conferral of priesthood.

Or,just do something at home if you feel the urge, or leave the church, take the extra money and start an Education IRA for the kid.

Posted by: June ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:37PM

I've know many men who have been in the circle and haven't been active for years and no longer wear garments. I don't know anyone who has actually been the one to give the blessing to be inactive, but definitely those in the circle. I've even seen bishops encourage male family members into the circle knowing full well that they aren't active. Probably depends on the bishop.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 03:45PM

I blessed my kid when I didn't have a temple recommend.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 06:05PM

When they gonna let the child's MOTHER in the stupid circle?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:41AM

The StalkerDog™ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When they gonna let the child's MOTHER in the
> stupid circle?

When she demands it [from the square(s)]... and all the rest do too.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 10:32PM

Amen to that! (Seriously. Not a joke.)

I have been at several baptisms of various people, including babies, at my Episcopal church, and AFAIK the only real requirement is that one parent be a baptized Christian (and for our priest, at least is slightly active religiously as in shows up a few times a year or so, he doesn't want "we had the kid baptized and never show up but Grandma would have had a fit if we hadn't" situations, which I kind of understand) and guess what? For the actual ceremony, you can have ANYBODY participating. Especially mothers! Plus assorted grandparents, uncles, aunts, siblings, etc etc.

Of course we have female clergy, too. *gasp* And of various sexual orientations, and probably assorted gender identities as well.

No insult intended, but I am completely lost at the idea of going along with somebody telling me I can't do something solely because I'm a woman - and it wouldn't matter if it were something I would never want to do! Some women might, and I'll be damned if they are prevented without grounds beyond "you possess a vagina."

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 06:13PM

Stalker Dog, I love you! >^..^<

Posted by: rugglessroy ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:55PM

How would he feel about holding the microphone.?

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:07AM

When my son was born I asked my SP if my dad who was an inactive priest could stand in the circle. Got the ok. But that guy was a cool SP. When my daughter was born a new guy who loved to enforce every rule there was denied the request. Granted, I realize I had no right to expect it in the second case. Still it was nice to get it in the first.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:50AM

He doesn't have to have a recommend. Just the priesthood. If he was invited and he wants to be in the circle, then he should be in it.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 02:14AM

Hubby doesn't have a current temple recommend but he was asked and allowed to stand in the circle for his nephew's and niece's baby blessings in 2012 and 2013. No one asked to see a temple recommend...of course we arrived just as sacrament meeting started so I'm not sure when they would have asked for it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 07:05AM

As with everything in the morg, local "leaders" bend the rules or make them up as they go along.

In your situation I wouldn't attend the Mormon service but would go to family celebrations and be generous with gifts, cards, and warm withes.

I don't like quibbling with arrogant priesthood guys about who is worthy to stand in as a grandfather and who isn't. How insulting!

Not to mention leaving out mothers and grandmothers!

Date: October 31, 2014 05:39PM

was being questioned and might be denied my arrogant religious males.

There are many other more positive ways to act in the grandparent role.

Sheesh, Mormons don't think any mother or grandmother should be honored at a blessing. That alone would leave me out.

Date: November 01, 2014 06:57AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.