Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 03:08AM

I don't have kids and so wasn't involved with trick or treating, but I'm in a large military community in Germany and apparently people were handing out Bible verses with candy. A bunch of people got upset and it turned into a huge Facebook row. It's truly scary how many wingnuts think it's appropriate to push religion on small kids...

In my day, Halloween was all about fun. Kids dressed up and went door to door looking for candy. Now we have a bunch of people out there who think they need to promote religion instead. What a shame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 03:50AM

Interesting to know if they railed against Halloween with their use of bible verses....you know Halloween being too connected to the devil and all.

Date: November 01, 2014 04:22AM

There was a photo of one of the verses handed out. All I remember is that it said, "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace."

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 04:25AM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a photo of one of the verses handed out. All I remember is that it said, "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace."

Every time I hear about that, I want to hand out a verse that says, "No Jesus, know peace. Know Jesus, no peace."

Posted by: notnevernomo ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 12:25PM

I'd knock on their door again, hand them back their "verse" and tell them, "That's not in the bible, but maybe you should use Matthew 10:34 instead: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I come not to send peace, but a sword.""

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 04:24AM

there were no people proselytizing last night, but at the same time, I do know there were kids out trick or treating because I came home from the market and found bunches of them walking around the neighborhood. That said, none came to the apartment complex where I live. Now, before anyone says anything, on the part of the street where I live, there are a LOT of apartment complexes and nearly all the others get kids trick or treating. My complex - no. I've had 2 groups of kids in the 18 Halloween's I've lived on this street.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 11:32AM

I saw 3 or 4 kids dressed up like mormon mishies for their halloween costumes (yes, I'm in Utah). These poor kids can't even escape indoctrination on Halloween.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:11PM

I saw a boy in a suit. I didn't get a good look but a missionary might be a good guess.

Posted by: I_am_me ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 05:32PM

Maybe they had ExMo parents who thought it would be funny. I think it's pretty funny.

Posted by: ChiggersBitemy ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:01PM

I'm so PISSED AT THIS DAMN CULT!!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:25PM

My next-door neighbor, an evangelical pastor, did a huge halloween production in his front yard -- barbeque hot dogs, candy, drinks, spooky music, etc. He gave out hot dogs and candy, and leaflets for his church to everyone who came.
It was a little strange -- reminded me a bit of LDS proselytizing.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:31PM

All 3 of my kids went trick or treating and came home with JW fliers in their candy bags.

Mormons aren't the only cult nutjobs out there.

I didn't think JW's even did the Halloween thing?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:46PM

They definitely do NOT do Halloween, but that won't stop some zealous ones from using the opportunity to witness. Normally, they just leave their undecorated houses unlighted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:42PM

Ugh. You would think people would just let kids enjoy the holiday. I was visiting my brother and his wife last night, and everything was normal there. My favorite costume was a little boy who was dressed up as a firefighter -- accompanied by his proud firefighter dad. :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:51PM

Fortunately, I life in what would be a gated area, if it only had a gate! :-) It does have signs when entering that make it clear that there is no door to door soliciting, no loitering, no trespassing.
It's amazing to me how many people never read the signs.

So, the trick or treat group is limited to the local kids and some of their friends and relatives. Only had 12 to 15 last night as the rain started, finally!! Not much, but enough to help the drought.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 04:24PM

If I lived on a base, I think this would be something I would make sure the base commander was aware of personally, or I'd send my concerns up the chain from whatever level I have attained.

I'd do it, even if the base commander's wife or the American women's club associated with the base, was involved. Especially so, in either case!

Date: November 01, 2014 06:19PM

I don't actually live on any of the four installations. My husband retired in July, so we are civilians and live in a German village with few Americans. But I actually agree that this kind of thing has no place on government controlled property.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 04:29PM

Here in Arizona sometimes the Born-Again Christians put on spook alleys with religious themes. Things like how terrible abortion is, the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, fear of devil worshipers, and how scary hell is if you don't accept Jesus and get saved. I think there is a sermon at the end.

Most people avoid going to such events unless they actually belong to that particular church.

Date: November 01, 2014 06:22PM

I grew up in Virginia, not too far from Pat Robertson's empire. Then I went to college close to Falwell's university, Liberty, where they have "Scare Mare" every year.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 08:45PM

I would have taken the proffered treat, ripped loose the attached paper, and handed the treat to the kid. The paper would have been evaluated, then probably crumpled and stuffed into my pocket, right there on the porch.

Then there would have been a very acerbic "Thank you SOOO much," and we would have been gone.

D'you think they would have gotten the message? Or is that too subtle?

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 08:50PM

Our local store sold candy the had bible verses written on the wrapper.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 08:52PM

Just to play Devil's advocate, All Hollow's Eve did begin as a religious observance. However, I don't think it was used to indoctrinate non-believers. it was a time to honor the dead.

Nothing like religious wackjobs to ruin an evolved tradition.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 03:54PM

Where I use to take the kids to trick o' treat one house gave out full sized candy bars. Each one had a sticker that said "taste and see that lord is good" along with the bible verse.

Hadn't thought about it being weird until now. I was just happy on the size of the bar.

I think out of all the Halloween proselytizing there have been zero success stories. It is something that religious people do to feel good inside but has no real effect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.