Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 11:10AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0MOijHffs

I always assumed the RLDS own and run that temple. Is there an LDS visitors center nearby, but that this poor girl is being misled into thinking otherwise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 02:45PM

Community of Christ is the new name of the rlds organization. and yes, they own the Kirkland temple

lds has another visitor center.

Internet search:

1)Community of Christ Kirkland, Ohio brings up a webpage about the Kirkland temple being their historic site.

or 2) LDS Kirkland, Ohio

will give you the information on the LDS visitor center (and it's location).

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 12:16PM

Right, I knew they changed their name years ago.

I see CofC have a visitor center listed on their site about the temple. They actually have competing visitor centers? Are they that at war with each other?

Poor sister's gonna be confused.....

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 03:58PM

All of times i've been there, (about 15) the tour was always given by the CoC members.

It used to embarrass me when mormons (usually from Utah) would go on the tour. They thought they were soooo smart. They would ask all kinds of stupid questions, and then inform the guide that it was too bad he didn't know the REAL truth. What a bunch of rude, ignorant, arrogant, idiots. I always made sure I didn't come across as Mormon when I went on those tours.

Posted by: Mr. Buddy ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 01:18PM

Agnes,

The RLDS/CofC still own and run the Kirtland Temple, but the LDS church has their own visitors center/set up just down the street, almost adjacent to the temple. The LDS church has a complex there with a visitors center and several buildings such as Newel K. Whitney's store and Joseph Smiths old home and a sawmill. You can do a little tour and then the missionaries take you to the room where the school of prophets was started.

When I went with my family they held us captive in that room demanding names of non-members to contact. My brothers and I kept cracking jokes and were finally asked to leave. I felt bad for the sister missionary. She was made we didn't feel the spirit.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 05:40PM

The last time I was there, some LDS senior missionaries told us that the RLDS owed the LDS so much money that the LDS could own the temple if they wanted to. The reason they didn't was because they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

They then went on to say that some very BIG things were going to be happening in Kirtland. So big that it would make all the members pay attention. That was about 1990. As far as I know, that BIG event was a visitors center, and some other misc. buildings they restored. Most church members probably couldn't find Kirtland on a map.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: November 03, 2014 06:00PM

I was there this summer. The Kirtland LDS visitor's centre is for the historical village with some restored/replicated buildings, about a 5-8 minute drive from the temple, which is definitely run by the RLDS/CoC.

One thing of interest to me is that (at least this summer) there's a good cross-pollination between the two. We arrived at the LDS visitor's center just before lunch, and were informed that the next Temple tour started in 20 minutes, and would be the last before the people there took a break for 2 hours, and so we probably would want to go to the temple first.

The temple guides told us that the LDS visitors centre had things that would be of interest to us and that we may want to go there next.

You could certainly tell which church had more money just by the production quality of the videos shown before the tour, and by the number of people involved. There was one Eastern European missionary girl at the RLDS doing the tour, the LDS was crawling with pairs of sisters.

I did prefer the Kirtland Temple tour and museum, they seemed much more interested in showing history than making converts, and they gave a much more factual presentation, talking plainly about the failure of the (anti-)bank and the real reason Joseph left. They even had original bills from the bank on display.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.