Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 02:17PM

Have you or anyone you know ever done this? Another poster mentioned using all the email addresses he has to send an email to everyone telling them the truth and his reasons for disaffection.

Its easy to dismiss some random literature or websites as "anti-Mormon" but it seems it might rock the boat if there was a member in the ward/stake that people know personally, especially if they are well respected.

Any stories about someone doing this? Any RFM posters reported this happening somewhere? What was the reaction? Did it help draw out a few people? Plant some seeds? Some are better than none...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 02:18PM

That would be cool.

RB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 03:01PM

I've never seen it done. I think there are a lot of mormons out there that would be surprised to find out about the exmo community. I think they'd be surprised to find that they're asking themselves the same questions we did before we left. Most mormons have no clue there's an online support system for them where they can discuss anything they want to. They sit in silence, thinking they're the only one.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 03:28PM

I was present at Temple Square in 1968 during fall conference when several hundred fliers were passed out regarding the falsity of The Book of Abraham.

Most of the Mo-bots threw them in the trash as they were instructed to do. Had they taken the time to read the information, they may have saved themselves years of grief and thousands of dollars in tithing.

Posted by: rid ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 03:47PM

The closest I came to this was against an MLM pitch that was mass emailed to a ward/stake list from a newly appointed bishopric counselor in an island ward. It made me enemies of course. I later saw the guy while turning at a street intersection gnashing his teeth in a snarl at me. Only one guy (a non-islander) told me back then that he was proud of my email reply. But in island cult-ure you're supposed to keep quiet about both seniority and church leader discrepancies.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 05:58PM

The direct lds.org links.

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 11:01PM

I always thought it would be a good idea if we could collect as many ward email lists as we possibly could from exmos, NOMs, etc and do a mass email on a given day with the truth about some topics like BOA etc. and see what fruit this would bring forth.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 01, 2015 11:42PM

We did. We were the subject of so much gossip, that when we left the church, we emailed the entire ward, the stake leadership, and every bishopric in the stake.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 12:06AM

Someone in my ward has been emailing the stake directory every week, with links to the essays and mormon stories.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 12:09AM

anontoday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone in my ward has been emailing the stake
> directory every week, with links to the essays and
> mormon stories.

Really? Wow. Tell me more. What have the members been saying?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 12:16AM

That's interesting. Has there been a backlash that you know of?

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 12:29AM

On our stake Facebook page someone called out a married (separated) lady for dating a guy that the poster was infatuated with. That's all I got. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.