Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olep63 ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 07:56PM

Is the truth truth? Or is the truth false? Or is that what seems to be false truth? What if the false is false? Then it must be true.

Long time ago I was one evening going to bed and I had the habbit of listening to the radio to good music and it would happen from time to time that I even woke up with the radio still on. But this evening the host of a music program announced that a new invention had been made to make the sound even better on the radio and to demonstrate he would play a tune twice, first on the ordinary studio equipment and then they would play it again on this new device and we were told to call or write to them what we thought about the new invention.

OK, I was ready. I listened carefully to this experiment and the first sample because I was interested to see if I could recognize the difference. After a pause they were ready for the second run on the new device. I listened. Concentrated. Eyes closed. Hmmm, this sounds just like the first one. I could not find any improvement or differences from the first case. I was tempted to recognize this as a psychological experiment to see how many would say that the second one was much better than the first one. And sure enough, one week later, they revealed that it had in fact been played twice on the same equipment. And yes, they had received a lot of feedback that the second one was far superior to the first one.

I am glad I passed the test. And so I was ready for the second test.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 07:59PM

I'm reminded of a psychological study where one of the subjects
gave insane, off the wall replies. When asked about it later he
said that he assumed it was a study where they were trying to
trick him and he was giving the opposite answers from the ones
he thought they were trying to trick him into.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 08:01PM

inconceivable!

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 08:01PM

Ah yes, the power of suggestion... kind of like missionaries telling you *how* to get "spiritual answers" in absence of physical evidence. Circular reasoning through suggestion.

Yes, you passed... great job! Definitely not material for the church.

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 08:06PM

Quadrophonic Sound? :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.