Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oldspeak ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 03:54AM

My temple name was Mirium and it bothered me from the moment I saw it spelled out. Because it was obviously MISSPELLED! (The correct spelling is Miriam for those who didn't know)

Also, in my patriarchal blessing there was a passage on chastity that quoted a set of scriptures. Those verses had nothing to do with chastity. I spent months trying to decode the set of Psalms before flipping to the next chapter and seeing the verses the patriarch had meant to reference. These things didn't crack me at the time but they left impressions. I mean, these were supposed to be intense spiritual experiences. Instead my name was misspelled and God cited the wrong chapter.

Anyhow it was nice get that out there since none of my Mormon friends/family would care to hear it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:11AM

I gave them the wrong place of birth for my patriarchal blessing. I was worried that it might not be valid. Luckily the mormon god is not a stickler for details. Plus none of it was "valid" anyway, even with the right details ;)

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 05:44AM

Miriam can be spelled many ways. Maryam, Mariam, Miriam, etc. My own GGGGrandmother's name was Mariamne...and pronounced "Miriam." And it's the original version of the Westernized, "Mary."

I've only given examples of people I actually know with those names. Not defending TSCC (never!) but the spelling was the least of the things wrong with that day in the temple.LOL Maybe JS had a crush on a girl named Miriam, and called her "Miri-YUM..."

Patriarchal blessings are a joke. Might as well have had my tarot cards read....

Posted by: Main Line ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:17AM

I feel you...

My temple name was Susanna, a woman in the bible who chose to be put to death rather than raped. As a sexual assault survivor, I spent years trying to understand what god was telling me, what it meant. Unfortunately, I could not even talk to anyone about it.

So, so stupid. (TSCC)

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 08:06AM

Thanks for the LOL>

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 11:16AM

My wife was Eunice, so it could have been worse. I was Isaac. I almost started laughing when the old guy pretended to get a revelation as to what my secret name was.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:24PM

Isn't "Isaac" in Hebrew a reference to laughter?

Posted by: Jokerman ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 02:57PM

Mine was Herber. I hated it.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 03:04PM

What types of names are given to temple patrons in non-English speaking countries? Do they use English and Bible/BoM names worldwide or do they adapt the names list for other languages and cultures?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 03:15PM

Mine was Peter.

I always thought I was special because Jesus gave me the same name as his #1 apostle... until I learned that everyone who went through on that day of the month got the same goddamn name.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:34PM

Exactly how they do it. It's the name of the day. I remember when I was doing work for the dead I forgot the dead guys new name. So I had to ask a temple worker. I was worried that he would give me a different name and what that would do to my testimony. He asked for the card, closed his eyes for a moment (pretending to get revelation), then whispered the new name to me. It was the same name as before and I thought that he was truly getting the name divinely. If they already know the name of the day, why do they have to put on the show?
My name is Hyrum.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:02PM

So did you go on the 5th day of the month, or the 17th? Apparently they liked the name so much, the put it on the list twice, though it looks like they took one of them away when they changed the list last year.

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:06PM

Miriu(a)m and Susanna now that I know your names I shall call forth in the hereafter and ye shall be bound to me as my plural wives for ye have spoken thy names in an online forum and are now part of my harem ;)~

Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:09PM

My name was Alma or Aaron....a childhood friend and I left the church around the same time but separate from eachother. When we found out about the other we would send the occasional text "How you doing Aaron"? Not bad what about you "Alma"....see thats where im confused I think I might have gotten my name mixed up with his. I never liked the name Alma, in spanish its a girls name....and I once knew a really smoking hot girl named Alma ...haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 06:10PM by duskus.

Posted by: Barium ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:37PM

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:37PM

Welcome back from that cult's Land of Delirium Mirium!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:28AM

I'm with you. Spelling counts.

"Miriam" is a pretty name. "Mirium" isn't.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:46AM

My Temple name was Maleficent, kidding. I never went there, Thank Heaven!

So on the Resurrection day, the same names are going to be called and thousands of people will come running huh? Oh boy! Seems such a shame that I will miss all that. Boo Hoo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 01:48AM by verilyverily.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.