Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:15PM

Anyone see this? When I tuned into the news they were talking about it and calling it "controversial." Why is it controversial? LDS church doesn't like it? Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:39PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2040573-155/utah-detective-has-chased-polygamist-outlaws

I saw the headline in a convenience store and made a mental note to read it today.

I don't know if the print edition is longer, but if Jon Krakauer is following/involved in this story, that's a good thing.

Edit: Check out the comments. Predictably, somebody has hollered "freedom of religion," and I'm thinking about weighing in.

Gotta be careful though; I've got a week's worth of road rage stored from working the big trade show and Sundance. I'm thinking about a line borrowing from Jefferson about how a man's right to poke his schlong ends where another person's privates begin... Particularly when underage without consent...

Probably too over the top for the Trib, but there are many here who will appreciate it.

Additional edit (it really was a long week in the saddle): The on-line story is complete; it runs five pages. Well worth reading them all...

The Scientology crowd should be grateful; it'll focus attention away from the other Sundance documentary about the Operation Clambake crowd.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 04:58PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 05:36PM

Sam Brower's book, Prophet's Prey, is riveting. As for religious freedom, crimes committed in the name of religion are still crimes. Like Sam Brower, I consider the FLDS leadership to basically be a crime syndicate involved in human trafficking of underage children. Eleven of their top leaders, including Warren Jeffs, went to prison. More of them should have.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 02:53PM

This is the true legacy of Smith.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 05:06PM

I'm hoping that someone has linked the fact that FLDS are protected because they are related by blood, marriage, and friendship to LDS leaders and Utah lawmakers.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 06:50PM

Loved the comments at the end of the article too. Orrin Hatch gets nailed

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.