Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 11:50AM

Will drive to members homes for the check for this fundraiser? Why does this remind me of the way the morg does fast offerings here? Instead of wearing Sunday clothes, they'll have on Boy Scouts uniforms.

This was announced over the pulpit last Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 11:54AM

When they come knocking, just say no. Worked for me, even as a member.

Posted by: heynonny ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 11:34AM

if they know your situation southern, it is just plain rude of them to bother you. pretty typical stuff from an organization so brainwashed as to think that giving money that you don't have will " bring forth the blessings of heaven". I agree with others... just say NO.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:00PM

Some years ago, the bishop suggested just hitting up people at the same time as tithing settlement. I pushed back. Hard. I suggested that conflating tithing settlement, with its inherent setting of worthiness and an external non church group was not appropriate. The bishop liked the concept in that people would be in a giving mood and was faster. He then said that scouting was the lords program. So, I got up and got a tithing slip and asked where scouting was on the slip. He got the point. Did not like it, since now they would have to go door to door begging money. So sorry!! I also told him I would give to FOS to the extent that he got others to give to the YW program. That was just one more nail in the coffin.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:05PM

In my last ward they acted like this was the same obligation as Tithing and F.O. I told the bishop that he could look at the records and see that I don't pay those either so I'm not supporting scouting. When he tried to guilt me because I had a son in scouting, I just said that it was only because it wasn't costing me anything. I don't believe in scouting enough to pay for it and I'd be fine with them telling him he couldn't be in it. Course, I knew that wouldn't happen.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:51PM

Take some of the money for the MALL and support the scouts

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 12:59PM

Since when is knocking on doors and asking for a DONATION a fundraiser? Most "normal" (non-LDS) Scout troops hold true fundraisers. They prepare a serve a meal and sell tickets, they wash cars, etc.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 08:21PM

I don't know but that's what they said at Sacrament meeting this Sunday..

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:00PM

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:07PM

pass the word...

F.O.S. does not stand for "Friends of Scouting"

its stands for "Foooked Over Saints"

why?.. ck these salaries for a so called NON Profit

http://www.sltrib.com/news/52897650-78/council-salaries-barnes-scout.html.csp

HOw about $1,500,000.00 for this dude

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:08PM

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:28PM

the new bishop of my local ward and some other guy came to my house a month after I had foot reconstruction. They were plain clothes, it was still light out, so I answered. Younger guys than me, and I didn't know it was the bishop.

So at this point I am on double crutches and that very day had gotten my hard cast off and a new huge black ugly boot. I was in pain. I was in fact getting myself together to head upstairs for the night as I had everything I need up there and I was still exhausted. But nonetheless I answered the door anyway.

First the apologized profusely thinking they got me up from where ever I was. I let the apologize. They shouldn't just show up, right?

So then they asked how they could help. Mind you I don't know who they are, but saw them out the kitchen window so I knew they were locals and mo's. I said nothing.

they finally got to their real purpose, and that was friends of scouting. I am the ONLY house in the neighborhood who does not have a scout flag up on holidays because I refuse to pay for it. I think it is rank they won't do it unless you pay. one scout leader did, but all the rest after.....The thing is I can put up my own flag, and I do.

So I declined, said I really don't have any extra money. duh, major surgery, single mom who can't work.

They were nice, and the whole if you need anything....but I was glad they felt bad about getting me to the door, they really were embarrassed. plus I had on a tank top with no bra, pretty normal far e for me at home. so THAT was obvious, haha.

I found out later the one guy was the new bishop. so why would he come to my door? I love that I caught them off guard though.

but I will never donate, evenif my son for some reason decides to go on a campout. he has been asked before but never gone. he is just not the scouting type of guy.

I thought though that they just went to members doors. Just say no!!

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 11:11PM

A doctor I used to work with wrote out two sizable checks when they came to his home to collect for FOS. He gave them the check for the Scouts and then gave them the second and told them it was for the Young Women's program. They said they couldn't take it because the YW didn't have a financial program. The doctor took it back along with the first check for the scouts and told them that if they couldn't allow the YW to have equal funds he wasn't going to give his money to the Scouts.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 11:13AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 11:22AM

Isn't it true that FOS donations go to upper administrators and not to the boys? Given what scouting administrators earn I don't think they really need funds from members of modest means.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 11:26AM

Yep, friends of scouting donations do not going to the individual troops. And on top of that church scouting is a horrible program, I am not fond of scouting in general but church scouts is so much worse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.