Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 11:11AM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2009/12/18/bicyclists-plan-naked-protest-ride-new-york/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 12:35PM by Shummy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 11:12AM

Why can't they have an underwear fun-run like they do in Salt Lake City?

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 12:13PM

The protest may well earn a mention in the Darwin Awards for the participants. Plan a naked ride for the middle of winter in New York? Snow predicted for Saturday.

Date: February 05, 2015 12:28PM

Yeah, I saw the forecast.

Methinks that G*d may have the final word there.

Posted by: anon here ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 12:30PM

Date: February 05, 2015 12:47PM

My son lives near there, and when I was visiting him I took a big long hike through town and crossed the Williamsburg Bridge in the rain when all kinds of ultra-Orthodox were headed to work by foot. My God, you think those fur hats are big... You should see how it looks when they wear an overcoat and specially made hood to cover the hats. Looked like space aliens coming for me.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 02:28PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son lives near there, and when I was visiting him I took a big long hike through town and crossed the Williamsburg Bridge in the rain when all kinds of ultra-Orthodox were headed to work by foot. My God, you think those fur hats are big...

> You should see how it looks when they wear an overcoat and specially made hood to cover the hats. Looked like space aliens coming for me.

And here's the hat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtreimel

Date: February 06, 2015 07:31AM

Or just Google "schtreimel images" to get a clear picture how ridiculously big some of these are. Now imagine having a specially made overcoat with hood to protect them from rain.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 02:27PM

that the story is from six years ago, yes?

Date: February 05, 2015 02:29PM

Thanks michael.

You're a mensch.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 03:07PM

In Seattle, we do our nude bike rides during summers:

-Fremont Solstice

- WNBR

been there, done that.

just sayin'

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 03:23PM

If I were one of the [potential] nude cyclists, I would be MOST scared of the rocks.

I was in Jerusalem on Shabbat, and the part of Jerusalem I was in was a lot more "neutral" than it was "religious"...but there WERE frum ("observant") right-wing [male] Jews around, walking back and forth from home to shul.

This was JERUSALEM---a "world" city---with significant numbers of Christians and Muslims (many of whom were employed that very day as "Sabbath goys" in the hotels, etc.), and although traffic was light, there WERE cars being driven...

...and every time a car went by, the "Shabbat observing" [male] Jews starting throwing rocks at the cars and shouting at the drivers to honor Shabbat.

...and those rocks were targeted, hurled with force, and SCARY.

Any Jews who have EVER been to Israel know about the rocks being thrown on Shabbat---unfortunately, it's part of the Israeli experience (except if, at that moment, you're in a totally ultra-"frum" area where the only vehicles are either military or government ones, like the police).

If I was in NYC, riding a bicycle nude in a protest specifically against frummers, I would be immensely scared of WHAT might be thrown at me because---although there may not be a lot of rocks around the city streets---there are certainly broken bricks, soft drink cans, pieces of broken glass, metal objects, and piles of poop (human, canine, and feline).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:28PM by tevai.

Date: February 05, 2015 03:32PM

Oh yeah, tevai, when I was taking pictures at the Wailing Wall, it was late Friday but the sun was still up. Three kids in their cute little caps accosted me and told me to put down the camera or else.....what, I'll never know.

Opened my young eyes that Mormons didn't invent religious bigotry.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 03:49PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah, tevai, when I was taking pictures at the
> Wailing Wall, it was late Friday but the sun was
> still up. Three kids in their cute little caps
> accosted me and told me to put down the camera or
> else.....what, I'll never know.
>
> Opened my young eyes that Mormons didn't invent
> religious bigotry.

If the sun was still up, those kids were WRONG (and they KNEW it!!!). They were power-playing you to see if you would cave to their huffing and puffing.

But I had a negative experience at the Kotel (Western Wall), too. I was on the women's side (of course!!!), and there was---beyond the pavers in the plaza part---a little rise up the adjoining "hill." (This is difficult to explain, but anyone who has ever been there will know exactly what I'm trying to describe.)

There was a (very probably abandoned), very young, KITTEN on that slight upswing in the terrain...and a young (maybe four or five year old, obviously frum) boy standing there, throwing ROCKS at the KITTEN!!! I ran over shouting Lo!...Lo!...Lo!... [No!...No!...No!...]

...and the little kid's [frum, of course!!!] mother looked over at me like I was crazy. She had NO problem with her son systematically stoning a KITTEN...but she thought that I was NUTS to even notice...let alone be concerned. I could SEE her look at me and think: "Crazy American!!!"

I still think about this---and it still bothers me---to this day.

Frummers are [generally] no different from any other uber-observant group...the content of the religious beliefs may be significantly different, but the psychological, emotional, and mental attitudes are all too often the "same."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 06, 2015 03:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.