Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 02:09AM

During the 1950's there were 2 LDS units in Houston, Texas. One was the Anglo branch/ward and the other was the larger Mexican branch/ward. About 1970 the Mexican Ward was joined with the Anglo ward so the Mexicans could learn how to be real Mormons.

Over the years in Houston, Texas the church has had wards and branches for different races. Some success but it is difficult for a white Anglo religion to inflect their traditions on other races.

I expect there are several Mexican awards or branches in Houston now and perhaps some reader that lives there would know and respond.

The smaller Anglo branch/Ward from the 1950's is now about 13 Stakes and the larger Mexican Ward/Branch I believe is still only 1 or 2. I may be very wrong on the actual number but still small compared to the Anglo numbers.

Jesus is a tall white Viking not a short brown Hispanic. Look at any Mormon picture of Jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 10:58AM

well if it isn't the master of racial comments at it again.

Those wards and branches are created to serve SPANISH speaking populations, not MEXICANS, so they are "Spanish branches", because of the language.

There are no Mexican branches outside of Mexico. Because Mexico is a country, not a language.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 11:04AM

Kinda like the Utards who call Mexican food "Spanish food".

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:24PM

SB once again you are showning off how dumb you are. The Mexican Ward in Houston was called the Mexican Ward by Church Leaders. What is PC now was not PC then. The term Spanish ward is a stupid term for someone trying to be PC. Hispanics themselves prefer many different terms like Latino and those from different countries prefer to be called where they come from verses Spanish. Get a life and do something positive for a change.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 01:27PM

Idiot Grand master of the KKK,

Many things were called thing before that are not correct and are deemed racist now, sorry old timer. They don't have to be "Hispanics" to attend a Spanish branch.

I am Hispanic and nowhere have I seen non Mexican prefer to be called Mexicans.

Latino is from Latin America (which includes non-Hispanics like Brazilians, etc)

"Hispanic" is an American government term (census) to address people with ancestors or origins from countries formerly rules by Spain.

This is what you fail to understand, and I don't blame you, you are form Texas:

There are no wards or branches organized because of national origin or race. They are organized so they can learn in their native language.

So, my ignorant friend, before you come off, somehow, magically, and incredibly, defending your ignorance (again!?) about Spanish branches and calling someone dumb, make sure you are not talking to:

1) someone who lectures about multiculturalism at the university of U of U.

2) is Hispanic and lived in Spain, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina and visited almost every Spanish speaking country in the world.

3) has been a branch president in a "Spanish branch"

4) is a published expert on the subject

5) has an IQ at least 40 points higher than you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 01:30PM by sb.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 01:00PM

There are 13 or 14 stakes in Houston now, 2 of which are Spanish speaking stakes. TSCC could probably create a third Spanish speaking stake if they wanted.

The primary cause of the growth of TSCC in Houston is economic growth and population migration. Most Mormons in Houston are transplants from the Morridor or children of transplants who moved there 20-30 years ago. Immigrants from Mexico or Central America are generally not LDS. They are mostly Catholic or former Catholic, now Evangelical/Pentecostal. Yes, the missionaries do manage to baptize some of immigrant population, but they are not wildly successful. The Pentecostals are far more successful.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 01:23PM

Hispanic catholics, in my experience, were the easiest converts I had ever had in San Diego...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 03:24PM

It will just take a few hundred years for a Mexican to become the prophet - the white boys at the top will keep it in the family as long as possible.

Date: November 07, 2014 03:44PM

Well for that matter I am an anchor-baby Mexican by virtue of my Mom's birth in Colonia Diaz and who was never 'naturalized' officially.

I thanks Mom for my heritage and my fluency.

sb, tu hablas la verdad.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:06PM

Stupid is as stupid does ~ Forrest Gump

Rush Limbaugh refers to them as "low information voters" (uneducated dolts of any color that believe whatever they're told).

LD$ inc. has run out of stupid white people so now they focus on any color they can get and I'm sure they're not above taking 10% of welfare payments.

How bout we just call them ALL "10 percenters" and pity them as the slaves they are.

Date: November 07, 2014 05:36PM

OK let's face it bros and sisies....

the Morg knows damn well that the desperation dunkees are doomed to drift away.

It's that very act of dunkage that whets the young dunkor's appetite for a lifetime of servitude.

And that's what keeps the rube goldberg farrago of lies rolling on.

And on..

Date: November 07, 2014 05:56PM

*racial slur warning*

I never thot it was a slur growing up as a white minority in New Mexico to be called a Mexican.

Now when I heard 'Mescun' I knew that was a racial slur.

Truth be told, a Mexican is from Mexico, documented or un-...

The Hispanic natives who's familys were here before Brigham was born are known as 'chicanos'.

Gottit?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:39PM

Two anglo wards disappeared in our stake and one hispanic branch is thriving. Baptizing more people than the rest of the stake combined.

English classes being taught by stake members. Lawyers in the stake assisting with green cards and legal status. Employers in the stake working illegals until legal status achieved.

All in the name of Christian charity.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:42PM

Sounds like success to me. And very depressing.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:45PM

Location is a factor in how one terms people of central and South America. Where I live, most are from certain towns in Guatemala and very few are from Mexico. But in parts of Texas and California, Arizona and New Mexico, most are Mexican and it explains how TSCC would have referred to a congregation mostly made of those of one nationality. Where I live, The Catholic churches were each known for the ethnic/national group of their congregants. For example, one Catholic parish was primarily Irish, another Italian, one was Polish, and another was Slavic. In the movie, The Cardinal, relating to a particular congregation, it was held that being an "Irish Catholic" was the best. The Catholic church in which it was partly filmed was, originally, Irish.

I find it sad that to be politically correct it is frowned upon to refer to the ethnic history of people. To say someone is Mexican is not a slur.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.