Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:11PM

One of the many reason, albeit a significant one, that caused me to decide to marry my ex was that there were coincidences that we felt were a sign from God.

We both had a crazy single Aunt named Dorothy. Our ancestors came from the same area in Europe and we had the same last name. We are from the same family 12 generations apart. This to me was a sign from heaven, which when coupled with hormones and the fact that my mission president told me to fins a nice girl ASAP and marry her, made me pick her as my eternal mate. I would have never married her otherwise.

I mention this because I continue to support the assertion that Mormonism is a hindrance on one’s ability to make good, rational decisions when it comes to life’s most important choices. And therefore it is a hindrance in living a full life.

I remember growing up in Europe, so many of the of the wealthy, beautiful young girls married well beneath them because that was the only LDS bachelor available and he was asking for marriage, which we were taught girls were not to turn down the chance of a temple wedding because that was the most important thing. So many of these couple’s that I have kept in contact with are unhappy or divorced, because the women married unsuccessful, socially awkward men that if it weren’t for the fact that these men were LDS, they would won’t even talk to them, let alone marry them.

Last night I flew back from L.A next to semi-retired judge. He is very LDS. He told me some stories of important cases he saw in his career. I was appalled at how this man was given the power to decide on so many important things, like sending someone to prison or not, finding someone guilty or not of a serious crime, while being influenced by his religion. He mentioned one case in which he was sure the guy was guilty because he was a “chain smoker going up against a former bishop”.

So many decisions made with bad information. I passed up great job that worked Sundays. I kept my former in-laws outside of the wedding of their only daughter. When I struggled financially early on in my marriage, I paid extra tithing. I passed up buying a property in Phoenix that eventually sold to the people that build the football stadium complex because it mean I could not pay tithing, I convinced myself that it was Stan tempting me with the things of this world, the guy who bought it made millions.

So many tears. People throwing out their gay kids. Gay men marrying straight women and ruining their lives, that my best friend’s dad’s life story. Accepting racism as God-given, only to later accept he never said anything about it. I was told not to date white girls by my seminary teacher, God did not want me to, because my brown skin meant I carried a curse.
So many dead bodies. Strewn across the plains, so that BY could get take their money and buy himself a locomotive to get his liquor and tobacco faster.

So many mind hoops. So many lies. So many apologies and forward-looking statements. It will all make sense later, it will all be rewarded, we are not supposed to understand. So many hours wasted trying to put our entire being into something that at the end, does not add up.

So many hypocritical doctrines. The members will get riches, kingdoms and blessings for us and our families in the next life, while the leaders get them now. We pay tithing and they don’t, while they live off ours. If we can’t make ends meet just have faith, but they invest their billions first because they need to survive and live well first before they help others.

None of it was true. None of it was a blessing. None of the decisions were inspired. None of the information was analyzed. None of the promises came true. None of the prophesies were accurate. None of the prophets were prophets. None of the doctrines were doctrines.

But when I talk to any Mormon they act like it’s all facts, like I am the delusional one. Like living believe that 2+2=7 is just a matter of faith and that if you believe it hard enough, it will come true.

I lived with bad math for song and now that we go back with the correct formula we realize what a horrible thing it is to be a Mormon.

I am glad if 2+2=7 makes them feel like they are special and they are getting more out of life, but for me it has to be real, it has to add up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:18PM

Try as I might, the mental thought process imprinted into my young , tender brain by TSCC are still guiding my crappy decision-making.

I have been away from the tentacles of idiot bishops, scoutmasters, etc. in the church for a long time, but it seems impossible for my introverted personality to let go of the self-criticism and low self-esteem because I was never good enough for the judgmental people in the ward.

I loathe the church for doing this to me and countless others...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 12:19PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:19PM

Mormon hypocrisy at it's finest.

They proclaim the sanctity of marriage yet promote a most sinister slapdash solution to making monogamy meaningful.

Mormon Hebbenly Fodder is a piss poor matchmaker.

True happiness with a true soul mate is out of the question.

Not in HF's plan for happiness.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:28PM

Insidious and cruel when you think about the mindfuck RMs suffer after a less than stellar mission they are told the true success of their mission is measured in how quickly he can go home and get sealed in the temple and thereby seal his fate.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:24PM

I understand that you want to be charitable by being "glad" for the people for whom 2+2=7 makes them feel good. But take your own post seriously. The pain caused by kicking out your gay son, marrying a straight, etc. was caused directly by 2+2 really equaling 4, not 7. One feels "great" about their delusion because it makes them feel special, or some other ego gratification, but eventually, denying 4, and pushing 7, will cause a tragic result. That's the very definition of tragedy. Therefore, I'm not glad for those whose denial of 4 hasn't yet driven them over the cliff; because they're taking a huge risk, and, chances are, the cliff's approaching.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 12:34PM

I take what I say seriously. hence why I said it. Not everyone is gay, not everyone needs or seeks the truth.

AND I respect the right of people to believe whatever they want. Just like I want be respected for what I believe...or post.

I know people whose lives are better because despite all the evil mindfucking, they don't look at it too seriously and the structure and social interactions has made their simple lives better. Just like with JW or Muslims, they can follow some principles which help them cope with life.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:42PM

Yes, Mormons are taught 2 + 2 will be blessed to become 7. However, for the faithful Mormon 2 + 2 will never, ever amount to more than 3.6.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 08:19PM

sb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So many hypocritical doctrines. The members will get riches, kingdoms and blessings for us and our families in the next life, while the leaders get them now. We pay tithing and they don’t, while they live off ours. If we can’t make ends meet just have faith, but they invest their billions first because they need to survive and live well first before they help others.

That's it in a nutshell, isn't it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.