Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 02:41PM

That seems to be really the one good thing TBMs say about the temple, that it is "peaceful" -- I wonder why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 02:45PM

When I think peaceful, a quasi-religious/masonic ceremony that begins with a Hollywood-style movie wherein Satan threatens you is the first thing that comes to mind.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 03:03PM

That movie puts many of them to sleep, so I guess you could say it's peaceful...not so much for those that stay awake and have to listen to their snoring. I don't know if the quiet along makes it peaceful. I find far more peace in nature, even if it's wet, windy, noisy, etc... There's nothing peaceful about the embarrassment that comes from walking around in a poncho and putting on ridiculous "robes of the holy priesthood" + baker's hat with plastic craft material in the top.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 02:50PM

Because a typical TBM household operates in chaos 99% of the time...so the temple is a momentary escape for them.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 03:06PM

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:11PM

Anywhere from the "TBM household" chaos would be peaceful!!!

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 02:50PM

That's because thats where the brain-dead go to be really brain-dead!

Posted by: zenith ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 03:11PM

Yes they are very peaceful … So are dyeing flies of flypaper, or the crematorium at a concentration camp. The pagan LDS temples are workshops for the dead.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 11:41PM

Um, no. Calling Mormon temple rituals "pagan" is not only inaccurate, it's insulting to those of us who are pagans. For one thing, our rituals generally make sense and are directed at achieving specific goals, usually creating some kind of change for the better using natural and sacred energies (not brainwashing and indoctrinating).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 04:03PM

Great quote zenith. "The pagan LDS temples are workshops for the dead."

The few times I attended the temple I found the ceremony so bizarre and ridiculous and laughable that I could in no way find time to rest, I was too busy watching people as they were checking this tie on that shoulder or watching patron's faces to see if I could figure out what they were experiencing.

I felt like a stooopid child in the temple because the ceremony reeked of the childhood clubs we created. It all just need to have taken place in a tree clubhouse to complete the picture.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:30PM

Self fulfilling prophecy... or more likely a twisted delusion. Mormons get to make such claims because no good mormon can challenge them on it, for two reasons: You can't talk about the temple outside the temple, and the naked emperor analogy.

When mormons bring up the "we're not a cult" claim, I'll ask, "Oh, can we talk about the temple." It's deer in headlights, if not a look of horror... a "you wouldn't dare, would you?" look.

Temple? Peaceful? Not now, and certainly not back in my day when I got to pretend to kill myself via various methods...

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:31PM

The temple was the place we could go and get free babysitting. If we were going to the temple one of the teens in the ward would gladly watch our kids. It was a two hour drive each way, so yeah going to the temple was peaceful.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 05:44PM

Yeaaaa...just add some pot or LSD....
you could be soo close to Jeeesus...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:06PM

I never had the experience of feeling peaceful in the temple. Actually quite the opposite.

I love the ocean. When I'm on the beach it's the most peaceful feeling. I never once had a feeling that even came close to that in the temple.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:19PM

About as peaceful to me as a store I had to move through to get a chore done or a doctor's/dentist's office with a really nice waiting room that I spent 5 minutest in.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:19PM

I'm sitting in my office right now. The kids are at school, my wife's out, the neighborhood is very quite. It's *extremely* peaceful here.

And I didn't have to wear funny clothes, pretend to believe a bunch of made-up nonsense, or do any secret stolen-from-the-freemasons handshakes to get this wonderful, peaceful environment. Or fork over 10% of my earnings, either.

How about that.

People defending the morg (and other religions) will often tell me, "It makes me happy," or, "It gives me peace," or some other such thing.
I try to point out to them that their religion is most certainly NOT the ONLY way to get those things -- and other ways don't include the superstition and dishonesty and other baggage that religion does. Making the other ways "better." :)

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:58PM

I'll bet you're sinning RIGHT NOW!

<wink>

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 07:29PM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet you're sinning RIGHT NOW!

I wish! :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 06:55PM

All the better to brainwash you, my dearie. That peaceful state of mind (think meditation) along with the soft, monotone, hypnotic voice - all those things put you in a state where it's easy to get their message implanted. Plus, the peacefulness probably does appeal to Mormons chaotic lives, encouraging people to attend (i.e. pay tithing.)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 07:10PM

1. More peaceful than a dozen screaming kids.
2. Seems luxurious to the sheeple who live in tiny homes because they pay their tithing first and who don't go to good hotels.
3. To me, I felt as if in a tomb, especially in New York. I know of jails I would rather be in.
4. If the CK is like a mormon temple, I wouldn't it.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 07:47PM

Truthful advertising would be a room full of beds stocked with sexy eternal companions beckoning the Worthy Priesthood Holders to come hither.

For the ladies, there would be some extra empty beds for them to occupy and await their turn.

(I apologize for this post, but we do need to interrupt our regular programming occasionally to remind everyone that after all is said and done, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is ultimately all about .... sex.)

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 07:50PM

An oasis of tranquility where one can shed the cares and thoughts of ordinary human beings and revel in the knowledge that we might be gods in embryo.

Would it be that we all had such refuge..... above the college of carnal knowledge.

Posted by: greybeard ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 10:20PM

I attended the temple weekly for over a decade. During a couple of those yrs I would slip off after an early morning session to one of SLT's unused sealing rooms for a half hour. It was nice place to just sit and think without halucinating for absence of humanity. But in summation I have to say that temples are the most sterile edifice on the planet. Not a thing about it that brings one closer to Deity or family. I got more out of traveling to/from with family/friends than while inside.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 11:23PM

I don't know why it's so hard for exmos to separate Mormonism from the concept of holy places in general. Buddhist temples are peaceful. Medicine wheels are peaceful. These places feel special because good people made them holy. Even if those people were kooks.

Posted by: Sois ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 11:25PM

So is the inside of my colon most of the time..it still stinks though.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2014 11:53PM

was sitting in the foyer waiting for my husband to get out of a session as I was pulled aside to do sealings.

I didn't have to worry about some old bitch berating me for not tying my sash perfect or every other little thing I got bitched at for. How can anyone sleep in the temple with all that clothes changing and standing up, sitting down. I'm surprised the "officiators" don't have a stick they can poke people with if they fall asleep.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 01:56AM

c12, lol

The officiators could even do the poking with a fiery red sword with the handle being the replica of Joseph's mighty head.

And why use the prod only on those snoring? Those who are trying to stifle a giggle, the out-loud-laughers, the day dreamers and those who do not look spiritual enough need the reminder also.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 07:41AM

Cemeteries are peaceful too.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 07:51AM

'Cause ain't nobody there!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.