Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 04:31PM

I'm just throwing this out there into the universe.

When they announce any (if they continue to do so at all) statistics in the April confrunz, if there are any mathematicians on the board, please do my homework for me!!

This is the stat time I've been looking forward to since the announcement in October 2012 regarding age changes for mishies.

This is 2014 year end stats that will be announced. Here is where we should see the bulk of the results of the missionary surge. There should be a substantial increase in convert baptisms commensurate with the increase in missionaries. If not, what does that tell us if anything?

I'd love to see the analytics, but just don't know how to do it myself. Any smarties out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toast ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 04:44PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57862203-78/missionaries-church-converts-lds.html.csp

We do know at the end of 2013 they had a 42%+ increase in missionaries but only about a 4% increase in baptisms. What that tells me is that they already have enough missionaries out there in the current areas, by sending even more out they're just over saturating the current areas. But lets be honest the number one thing the church wants is for the missionary to be converted and to continue paying tithing the rest of their life. Convert baptisms, especially in poor countries is the 2nd priority.

We can reevaluate the numbers once the 2014 data comes out. My guess is that the numbers will be a little better in the church's favor, but still not that good. The best growth comes from opening new areas which I'm sure they finally got around to doing with all the new missionaries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 04:52PM by toast.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 12:35AM

Remember that the 42% increase in mish head count was as of the END of the year; the 4% increase in baptisms was from all DURING the year. Not directly comparable.

Remind me please, was the 4% CONVERT baptisms or TOTAL baptisms?

JAR

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 12:37AM

Agreed. Missions now are about North American born young men and women retention.

There is no one for these young people teach except the needy and the poor. Jesus Christ would love to help these people, but not TSCC. The needy and the poor represent cash drain, not cash flow.

Unfortunately for TSCC missionaries with nothing to do won't become stronger... They will become weaker. Even today's missionaries were taught growing up they would teach and baptize converts. When that doesn't happen there will be questions.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 12:31AM

I have started looking at overall membership increases (This year's total membership - last year's total membership). The last 8 years have been pretty consistent, averaging around 315,000 (rounded to the nearest 5k). I would define growth of 315,000 as the mid point of expectations for 2014.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.