Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heynonny ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 04:17PM

Why is L. Tom so likable? I may be wrong but he seems to be the most "Christian" of the 15. He's got that eastern Utah kind of syntax as well as that adorable grandfatherly crooked smile. Am I wrong or is this guy mostly ok?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: marriedtoacrazymo ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 04:21PM

He really does, compared to the rest of those frauds. Apostles!?!? More like old, rich corporate board directors.

Posted by: heynonny ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 04:31PM

I've heard that he is really respected in the SLC Catholic community.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 04:49PM

I ran into Perry a couple times while at BYU and he did seem like a genuinely happy and personable guy...was smiling, stopped to talk to people, etc... I ran into Holland once and he seemed like an ass...he was waiting for his wife and other family members, seemed irritated, stared at the floor and didn't dare speak to, or even look at, his adoring fans...this was also in Provo.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 05:08PM

Yeah, he's definitely one of the more friendly ones among the Q15. I have had way too much GA interaction for my liking, but, every time I've talked to Tom Perry, it's been a good experience. He always seems genuine. I'm sure he is living in large amounts of cognitive dissonance as he rises to the top of the hierarchy.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 05:38PM

I travel approx. 100% (every week) with SLC as my home base. Each time I have seen Holland, he is walking fast (so do I) with his head down and a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging from his face (figuratively).

Some day I would like to yell to him "Hey, Jeff, why so glum? Gospel not really all that happy?"

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:42AM

Doesn't Holland also have something literally hanging from his face?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 05:56PM

In traditional Christianity, God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. In MORmONISM, your personal worth in the eyes of god will be established by what He can get for you from the current prevailing market conditions. No wonder MORmONISM makes MORmONS feel so darned special!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkcOuFvyajA

Posted by: Form3rM3mbr ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 06:42PM

I've run into Tom before while I worked for the church. He seemed like a nice man, though I recall NOT particularly feeling his "magnificent apostolic spirit" that everyone else was claiming. At the time, he had an entourage following him around and "correcting" him. He had told a secretary that her shoes were funny (the kind with big 3-inch soles on them), and later the assistant offered her an "official" apology. We just laughed it off.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 06:50PM

Several years ago, he gave a talk that was covered in the SL Tribune. The talk was about the negative image Mormons have.

I wrote that our poor opinion on Mormons was based on our personal experiences with Mormons and how we had been treated by everyone from Mormon neighbors, to missionaries, to bishops.

When we were excluded from her marriage ceremony, I became a full-fledged anti-Mormon. That was too much.

He wrote back a very condescending "sorry you were offended" but you don't understand letter.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 07:03PM

Being "the most Christian of the 15" is like being the funniest North Korean or the cuddliest spider.

Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 07:05PM

He once stood behind me on line at a Blue Burrito in the SL airport on a Sunday. He just bought a Coke. How human of him! Unlike most of the pretentious pricks running the show.

Posted by: WhatNot ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 07:14PM

I don't think he's a believer AT ALL. HIs GC talks were the most meaningless to me as a believer. I think he's a poser going along for the ride. I have other reasons for saying this based upon an encounter with him.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 11:17PM

WhatNot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think he's a believer AT ALL. HIs GC
> talks were the most meaningless to me as a
> believer. I think he's a poser going along for
> the ride. I have other reasons for saying this
> based upon an encounter with him.

I'd like to hear about that. Perhaps in a separate thread?
thanks.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 08:06PM

Those who believe that L. Tom Perry might be a good guy should read

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon352.htm

It's the second item about his talk in Kuna, Idaho I'm referring to here. His comments about everything being in a set order, right down to who gets to eat candy first among the Apostles, would do the members of the Chinese and Russian Communist parties proud!

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 05:08AM

Can you imagine Jesus pulling rank and insisting that He must always get to choose his candy first?!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 06:10AM

Actually, the person who eats it first is the "taster" in case it is poisoned.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 06:34AM

"Every week the Cummings Chocolate people send us a 3 lb. box of chocolates.
In our meeting, we follow our order and President Packer picks first, then I
choose, and so on. Poor Elder Eyring has never had a light chocolate yet!
Perhaps if he lives long enough!!!"

That's Mormons for you....vying for position!

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 08:12PM

If you see Elder Holland at the airport again,tell him you have a mutual friend,when he asks who? Tell him a gentleman from Great Britain named Mr.Phillips.It would be funny to see/hear his reaction.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 08:16PM

Because the "L" stands for Larry.

How can you not like Larry Tom Perry

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 09:44PM

He does seem to be one if the better,more genuine apostles. I saw him back in 1994 after the showing of some play. He was beaming with a huge smile and didn't seem to mind waiting out in the crowd with the regular folks, unlike some of the other apostles.

I have, however, read one RFM poster's story about how he started hollering all pissed off at the Zion's bank tellers for having to wait in line by saying, "do you know who I am!"

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 09:51PM

During the Hans Mattson fallout, wasn't it L Tom Perry who allegedly had a magic briefcase containing an unpublished document that once published "would prove all the doubters wrong”? But, of course, this document never surfaced-- probably because an angel took it with him back to heaven...

This tells me that Perry is just as deluded as the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 09:52PM by hangar18.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 07:38PM

Perhaps we should put his carcass in a briefcase, close it, and have TBMs come by and guess whether his remains are in it or not.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 11:23PM

he is still a liar.

Posted by: greenAngels ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 07:45AM

met him once at a conference in YW. He was very tall and very polite, I got to shake his hand and he put his arm out and gave me and another girl a huge bear hug with a big smile on his face. He had a suit with an Italian label that said "pure silk" and a Rolex on. He told my friend who was right behind me that she "looks just like my oldest granddaughter when she was your age."

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 09:07AM

Saw him at the SLC airport while walking to the gate to leave for our missions. He was in civies (blue jeans and a western shirt) walking with his wife. His wife motioned over at us as we had obviously seen him but he kept his head down and said "NO" to his wife and kept walking on.

He wouldn't even give us a smile or a thumbs up or a "Go get em, Elders!". For the first time in my young life I realized that I may be nothing more than just another cog in the machinery of the church.

I've read lots of positive accounts of Perry here on RfM but my one experience with him was anything but.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.