Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:02AM

I have found that if Mormons think you are attacking the church they will tune you out but what if you posted a link to the NY Times article on FB with a comment that sounds like you are defending the church? Would they read it, hoping to encourage you in your defense of Mormonism? Could you post it without them howling "foul" while simultaneously sharing it with your non-Mo friends? Here's what I was thinking of posting - let me know if you think it will work:

Post the link, then comment:

"Why is this suddenly in the New York Times? I was taught this at seminary AND at BYU. It's hardly news. Is it because of the new essays the church published?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:05AM

That sounds good to me.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:12AM

Throw in Fox too

Date: November 11, 2014 11:33AM

Good point - they worship Fox. At least my mom and her cronies seem to.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:35AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsBFlcjE-8

Gordo is here stating it started after they moved west.

Date: November 11, 2014 11:38AM

Wow! That's one to bookmark. How would Mormons deal with this in light of the new essays? Is it time to throw one of their favorite prophets under the buss with the other ones?

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:52PM

Most Mormons worship Fox. It's pathetic :-(

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:18AM

I'd add something like this:

Is it because of the new essays the church published? Or because some people see JS's actions to be too similar to Warren Jeffs?

But, that might be a bit too obvious....

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:19AM

Make some memes to drop on their social media.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:46AM

I would throw in the MormonEssays.com site so they can also read what the church has to say lately on different subjects.

The essays still have lies, and leave a lot of things out, but it's the most information they've let out about these topics. I think it's an attempt to inoculate, but I don't think it will work for a lot of people.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:58AM

If any of your TBM Facebook friends know you're "out," trying to be sneaky and pretend you're "outraged" at the NY Times article wouldn't work, it would only make *you* look dishonest and sneaky, like the church is.
That's not an approach I'd recommend...
Don't become what you disapprove of :)

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:50PM

Date: November 11, 2014 01:31PM

I see your point but most of my Mormon friends on FB at most, think I'm inactive. That's why I tried not to sound outraged but rather fair as in "Even I can see that they are making a mountain out of a molehill." Also, there is nothing dishonest in what I said - I did learn all this info (and more) in seminary and at BYU. I was honestly surprised that the younger generation didn't know Joseph Smith was a polygamist. Since I'm not being dishonest, I wouldn't say I'm becoming what I disapprove of but I can see how Mormons, who lie like they breathe, would see dishonesty and lies where there are none. That old "you see the world as you are, not as it is" saying again.

Good feedback.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:35PM

I would say something completely generic like that. It doesn't show how you feel about something, and comments on something legitimate, i.e. the national exposure.

It's the links, particularly to any comments that are the good stuff!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:44PM

I don't know what you mean by work.

I do think one of the most sincere, accurate posts that can be made is that polygamy exists today, primarily in Utah and areas colonized by Mormons in the pioneer movement to the West. That practicing polygamists believe the fundamental things of the lDS Church especially in the Book of Mormon, restoration of the Gospel and priesthood by Joseph Smith, living prophets, and eternal families. The primary disagreement is related to polygamy and that fallen prophets submitted to the political will of the United States and disavowed the practice of modern polygamy without removing it from their doctrines.

Modern polygamists claim they are more adherent to the teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young than the modern LDS church.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:50PM

I thought of posting an article about Warren Jeff's and simply stating 'sick pedophile marrying 14 year old girls". I wouldn't mention JS at all; this is effective because ironically Mormons despite Jeff's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 01:57PM by allpau.

Date: November 11, 2014 01:54PM

I've used this technique to help my kids understand Mormonism by showing how Mormon practices, in other contexts, are damaging. Like how some Mormons don't read anything other than church-approved publications and how Hitler didn't allow people to read anything that wasn't Nazi approved. But I didn't mention Mormonism - just how bad it was when people tell you that you can only read what they approve of you reading.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:58PM

Yes this.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:03PM

I realized today that it just doesn't matter to many of them. If any of you are on facebook and follow John Dehlin you can see how the TBMs respond. They don't fricken care, they feel it's all been talked about before so big deal. They are so drunk on the koolaid the church could come out and say Brigham Young murdered dozens of people in cold blood and they would still spout the talking points that the church is true and it's done so much good for humanity that none of that matters. I know because I witnessed it today, I am so done with these koolaid drinkers, I don't think there is getting through to them until they seek it out themselves. I am done, done with it all.

Date: November 11, 2014 02:10PM

I think it's because Mormon is who they ARE - they can't separate themselves from the church so it's incredibly painful to find any deal-breaker flaws with the church. They run back to their hidey-holes because if Mormonism isn't true then what ARE they? They don't care because they can't care and survive. The ones who get out of Mormonism are the ones who had more character and self-definition to begin with and could withstand the earthquake that Mormon untruthfulness can cause.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:03PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's because Mormon is who they ARE - they
> can't separate themselves from the church so it's
> incredibly painful to find any deal-breaker flaws
> with the church.

That's exactly why I think so many mormons I know have a problem leaving. They can't separate being mormon from being a member of the church.

Even knowing the truth, it's like it was suddenly published that "whites are intellectually dumber and inferior". If that was published as fact, they would still consider themselves to be white, but would just ignore the message. That's what the mormons I know are doing with the messages about the church. They can't separate the church from who they are.

Posted by: 2+2=4 notloggedin ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:59PM

They can't seperate themselves from Mormonism.

That is the result of one of the cult tactics of this organization, though, isn't it? Doesn't TSCC tell members that the church is the reason that they are the (supposedly) splendid human beings that they are? They are taught that they have TSCC to thank for every good thing about themselves? My mormon DIL told me "the church made me what I am today!"...my guess is she didn't entirely come up with that idea herself??

What do you think?

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:54PM

Well, you're seeing comments by the most obnoxious brainwashed types. The other 90% are probably silent because they are crapping their pants trying to digest this new information.

Just because Mormons aren't immediately jumping ship to ex-Mormonland when they are confronted with uncomfortable truths doesn't mean it's not putting a dent in their armor. Little by little things like this put more and more weight on their shelves, before they finally come crashing down.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:25PM

I really hope so, I was just in a cynical mood when I wrote that. I got good news though when my son wrote me that he was done with the church. So yeah I guess there is always hope. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:12PM

I have a bubble of happiness in my chest and I am (virtually) dancing with CAgirl to Age of Aquarius turned really loud.....

Kathleen Waters

PS. Those of you who saved me a lawn chair and popcorn are much appreciated...so glad I lived to see this day. DON BAGLEY- get out of the house, you can't miss this!

Date: November 11, 2014 02:15PM

I forgot about how some of us planned to get together with popcorn and lawn chairs to watch the show. Good thing I got that extra beer last Sunday - lol.

Thanks anagrammy - you made me smile.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:06PM

I posted it on my FB and the CNN news feed about it too. Some CULT members in my family read my FB but they won't say anything since I am an apostate, (the dreaded family apostate).

Date: November 11, 2014 05:15PM

You won't be the only apostate for long.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:33PM

I would say: I hope that this time no one burns down the printing press.

Date: November 11, 2014 05:15PM

haha! that's really funny!

Posted by: Jesus Christ Superstartup ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 05:35PM

I posted a link to the NYT article along with the innocuous comment "Nice that the Church is being more transparent about its history".

Funny and sad that I can still see my TBM sister-in-law going postal over it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 05:48PM

Does anyone actually have any of these media links handy? I haven't seen them yet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.