Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: puck ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 08:12AM

i'm told this is no longer the case, but wasn't there a thing at one point said to date within your race and socioeconomic class (possibly in the strength of the youth thing)?

also HELLO BOARD i'll post a proper update soon, perhaps. just trying to address mormon problems/ways of thinking first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 08:53AM

https://www.lds.org/manual/aaronic-priesthood-manual-3/lesson-31-choosing-an-eternal-companion?lang=eng

“We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question” (“Marriage and Divorce,” in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144).

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:09AM

The ban on black men holding the priesthood was lifted in 1978, after the devotional speech cited above was given. When it was lifted, however, the policy of discouraging interracial marriage was reaffirmed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 09:10AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:42AM

A notable side-effect of which was Mitt Romney pulling to the side of the highway and sobbing into his steering wheel because the Lord had righted a wrong.

The fact that he, Prince Romney, might have made some personal effort to pressure the church into changing the policy escaped him before, during, and after the actions of the church.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:24PM

How about back in the 1960s, 1970s- Was there much pressure to date inside the faith? Were there religious or social consequences for dating non-LDS?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 06:17PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about back in the 1960s, 1970s- Was there much
> pressure to date inside the faith? Were there
> religious or social consequences for dating
> non-LDS?

1976. I was 16. Started dating a terrific, wonderful Catholic girl. At the time I was fully-active, a priest, and head of the quorum and MIA leader.

Took my new non-mormon girl to a Stake dance. She felt a bit awkward, and didn't even really have the kind of dress the rest of the faithful young women there wore, but we had fun. She, of course, had no intention of converting (pretty much a "cafeteria catholic," only going to mass for big events kind of thing). My bishop was at the Stake dance, and saw (and met) my non-mo girlfriend.

Next day, after Sunday School, bishop grabs me and pulls me into his office. Tells me that while the girl I took to the dance was very nice, I should stop spending time with her *immediately.* She was a member of a church that was the epitome of "the great and abominable" falling away and corrupting of the gospel, had no morals, and would be nothing but a doorway for Satan to influence me. It wasn't appropriate for the priest quorum leader and MIA leader to be setting such a bad example for the other youth by dating a non-member, either, says he. And he's sure that if I keep seeing her, we'd wind up having sex, and my life and progression in the church would be ruined. Tells me I should stop seeing her *immediately,* and find myself a nice mormon girl.

Chump that I was, I broke up with her that week. It broke her heart, and mine. Stupidest thing (other than 2 years riding a bike around France) I ever let the church get me to do. :(

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 06:45PM

But hi Puck! Can't wait to hear a full update. Hope you are still having fun and misbehaving :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.