Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kingbrigham1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:28AM

Writing about the essay on polygamy, Amanda Marcotte says the women's general conference inclusion has "plenty of detractors."

Is she correct?

--

doublex factor, nov. 11, 2014

http://www.slate.com/authors.amanda_marcotte.html

"The transparency push is also occurring at a time when Mormon women are increasingly clamoring to have a larger place in a church that has traditionally reserved the most important leadership roles for men. The church has not exactly embraced this campaign—it’s been excommunicating women for being too outspokenly feminist, in fact. But for the first time ever, the church is allowing the twice-annual LDS General Women’s Meeting to be part of the church's General Conference, a decision that has plenty of detractors. Perhaps that decision, plus this new transparency, suggests that the church is moving, in fits and starts, in the right direction."

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:56AM

But my response to including the Women's Conference as part of GC?

"Meh."

Who really cares? I don't think I would have cared as a TBM, either. It's always been held a week before conference. I always associated it with General Conference, but why would I CARE if they CALL it a session of conference or not? The speakers wouldn't be different, nor would the basic content.

To make a big deal about calling it a session of conference to make women feel more important is patronizing. It just doesn't make any difference.

What WOULD matter would be giving women equal footing in church leadership, not token callings, or token speaking and prayer assignments in conference.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 11:21PM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> What WOULD matter would be giving women equal
> footing in church leadership, not token callings,
> or token speaking and prayer assignments in
> conference.

I agree, if they gave women equal footing in leadership, then THAT would be a big deal. I don't see that happening anytime soon, possibly not in my lifetime.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 11:18AM

Including Women's Conference as part of GC is nothing more than throwing a dog a bone to keep it quiet.

The church will throw bones wherever necessary to keep the money flowing in.

When the woman start handling the money, that's when real change will happen.

But don't hold your breath. There will never be a woman "Priestess" in the big 15. The men know that shite would hit the fan when she learned what's been happening to the widows mite!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 11:20AM

"Plenty of detractors" ===> I've heard from 2 people who are not wild about it.

Most Mormons don't care. All nonMormons don't care.

Posted by: kingbrigham1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 07:21PM

Posted by: belaja ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:00AM

I'm betting they think this will keep the womens busy so they won't be knocking on the doors for the priesthood session. Or maybe they think that's what women are upset about. "Why don't WE have a meeting to go to too!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.