Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:36PM

Once? Twice?? Which is it??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:38PM

Kids clothes once and they need to be washed. PJs I wear for about 1 week. I wash bed sheets and PJs once a week.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:40PM

My rule: if they look soiled/dirty or smell dirty/unpleasant, wash them. Also, if they have lost their shape, such as being stretched out/too loose from wear, I will wash them to restore their shape/fit.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 03:09PM

+1

Posted by: anonhere ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:42PM

An adult will usually be able to wear pants a few times between washings if nothing is spilled on them. Shirts usually need to be washed if they were worn all day. If a shirt is only worn for a couple of hours, you may be able to hang it up and wear it again without re-washing.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:48PM

And he can wear them twice because he always wears a beefy T under them. It is a big help as are wrinkle free, I won't buy it if it has to be ironed every wash!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:52PM

I go with Eunice's philosophy in general. And 'anonhere' also. It all depends on whether the garment is still considered clean and fresh after a wearing. I usually wash most garments after one wearing. But pants can usually last longer like 2-3 wearings. Shirts for sure get washed after a day. 2-3 hours can be put back on hangers for another wearing.

I can't stand soiled or smelly clothes. It's a reflection of poor hygiene, yuck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:56PM

Also, don't forget to read the tags for washing directions.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 03:01PM

Underwear? I hope people know to wash it after wearing once and not do the gross thing of turning them inside out for another wear.

Pants you can get away with wearing more than once as long as they're clean, dresses and skirts too.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:17PM

I have never heard that before and I wish you hadn't mentioned it! That is so far past disgusting I don't even have the words for it.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:40PM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:08PM

"The men of Charlie Company had been in the field for two weeks when the Sarge announces,

"'I've got good news and bad news. First the good news. Today we're going to change our underwear.'

"The troops start cheering wildly. 'Now the bad news,' continues the Sarge. 'Smith, you change with Jones. Andrews, you change with Murphy . . .'"

http://www.dillsborolegion.org/jokesarmy.htm

Sorry, couldn't resist ... : )

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 03:12PM

Most adults can go 2-3 days between washing pants. Jeans can be worn up to 4 days between washings, and it's actually better for the denim if you don't wash your jeans often. The exception is if you spill something, or they start to stink. I agree that shirts worn all day should be only worn once before washing, but if a shirt is worn for a couple of hours and still looks and smells clean, then it can go back on the hanger.

One other thing about laundry is that whenever possible, use the low heat setting on the dryer, as most clothing tags now say "tumble dry low" on them as it helps clothing last longer. Also, there are some items of clothing that should be left to dry naturally.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 03:20PM

These are the rules for missionaries, because we had so few clothes.

underwear {garments} and socks 1 time
pants 3-4 times (except blue jeans--those you never wash)
shirts 2-3 times (provided you wore a undershirt) then 1 time if you didn't

**Blue jeans you squirt down with vinegar water/febreze mixture about once a month. They can be washed if you spill something nasty on them like mayonnaise or diaper fillings but they last longer and wear better the less you wash them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 03:27PM

If clothes are taken care of, put away when clean, not put on the floor and walked on, allowed to get wet or thrown in with dirty clothes, clothing can be worn more than once in most instances, except for underwear like shorts and panties.
The smell test works! If it stinks, don't wear it!

The washer and dryer wear out the clothes faster than wearing them. Just look at the lint holder in the dryer!
I like to keep clothes I've worn once or more outside the closet. Only clean clothes go in the closet or in a drawer.

I do wash jeans, I always have but it's not really necessary.
I also hang out a lot of clothes when the weather is nice. Or hang clothes up to dry.
I use a dryer for a partial dry, then hang up outer clothing for instance.

I also like to have more than one of the exact item like blouses, pants/jeans, etc.

Posted by: Dolly ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:37PM

I am a self confessed clean freak. Beds changed twice a week, sheets and pillowcases laundered and ironed, all clothing worn once and then laundered. It's just the way I was raised. I like it that way.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:49PM

You seriously iron your pillow cases? What about sheets and underwear? My grandmother ironed everything. I haven't ironed a thing since 2006. I did break the cycle when instructing my son how to iron. The iron has seen the most use this year than it has seen for nearly a decade. :) My aunt and my mom will occasionally iron their sheets and pillow cases because I guess there is nothing like some good ironed sheets like mom used to do. :)

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:47PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:50PM

I prefer, "until they smell...bad."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 04:47PM

Posted by: AnathAnon4This ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 05:56PM

;-/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:04PM

I wear shirts, socks, and underwear once. For pants, shorts, and skirts, I'll go by how they look -- I might wear them several times before washing them. For pajamas and nightgowns, it just depends -- maybe three days in cool weather.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:10PM

In the summer when it is hot I have been known to change underwear more than twice a day. ALWAYS wash clothing after one days wear except things like jackets. Guess I am a clean freak, didn't realise that.

Posted by: AnonForThisPost ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:41PM

Clothes can be worn for two weeks if you don't have to go where clean people are. I have done this before.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:48PM

Depends on the clothing, your activity level, the climate and whether or not you have to look a certain level of respectability for others, eg in the workplace. I wear underwear and socks once. My hockey stuff including towel gets washed after once use. Jeans and shirts/hoodies get used twice generally. Dress shirts once. And when I am working, clean clothing every day regardless of what I am doing. I may work ofter in warehouses or construction sites, but no way am I going to start a work day in dirty clothes, coveralls excepted. I do a lot of wash for once person...usually a load a day given I have a smaller stacked machine in my condo. Besides it smells.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 07:04PM

Washing causes wear and tear, so I try to maximize the wear and minimize the wash. I would say that average would be two to three uses, maybe four, maybe five, depending on the heat, activity level, chores being done, and body heat and sweat, etc. I would say that for home, I will wear my grubbies for as long as possible. I will change in to something presentable to leave the house and change into grubbies upon arriving home. This way, I don't have to worry about spills, stains, tears, and damage that occurs doing basic chores, cooking, yard work, etc. I would say three wears, depending on what my activity level is. For my out-of-house work uniforms, the general rule is two uses, but it can stretch to three depending on my activity level and number of hours worked. Pajamas and sheets generally run on a one-week time frame.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 07:46PM

I don't buy into that "never wash your favorite jeans" bullshit. My favorite jeans are whatever I'm wearing...and I have a farmyard to maintain and hot rods to fix...so they get dirty and I wash them.

RB

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:27PM

lebenty three

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:29PM

It depends on what you are doing (in them) - and which garment it is: socks, under or over pants, shirt, etc. - and what you got on them and how long you wear them, and if you wear underwear, how you wear them, and how much fun you have... and if they got wet and what they're made of... not to mention who is wearing them, how they are washed and how new they are.

A day to five on average.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:39PM

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind (on a clothesline)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:22PM

If you wear them once, they're dirty.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:34PM

as well as what kind of work or exertion I'm up to. Gotta think systemically...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:41PM

A few hours, perhaps not. Winter woolens only need to be cleaned a couple of times in a season. Underwear, socks, and anything with a spill stain should be washed within the week. Sheets at least once a week. Pajamas, about every time they're worn if someone is a toddler or ill in bed or troubled with night sweats, otherwise once a week.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.