Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:08PM

Very good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:12PM

Thanks for posting. Excellent points in the article.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:11PM

Brian Dalton's youtube video imbedded in the article is fantastic! "I'm a Formon"

I wish that all should receive it.

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 07:36PM

Ye shall receive it. It is the first video of the myth serious. And it has a name but i cannot give it to you.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:27PM

Very good article and video!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 07:43PM

Good advice. Never took my children to a regular church service...ever.

RB

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:13PM

But my impression from reading your posts is that you are the kind of man who would chop wood in a blizzard all day so your children could sleep in front of a warm, glowing woodstove. That's how you strike me, man.

The stuff that I'm writing and thinking about is tearing at me like a dishrag frayed from repeated scrubbing. When I read your powerful and strong opinions, I feel like there is a Paul Bunyon. A man like a tree. The heartwood. That's how I see you.

--Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 11:16PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:38PM

Thank you for your kind words. I've always been an opinionated SOB, Don. Just ask my wife. Almost 42 years of working for myself as a farmer and 39 years of fighting for proper care for our daughter (adopted and has FASD/bi-polar disorder) has made me pretty thick skinned and fearless. I hated the stupid rules that seem to govern everything LDS to the extent they are there JUST to control the members and by extension, their wallets. So I call a spade a fucking shovel.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 11:40PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:23PM

This was the story of my life. My parents were inactive, thought I needed to be raised with religion. I did in fact become judgmental and try to convert them and married in the temple while they waited outside. The weird part is, they still don't understand why I'm so hostile to the church now that I'm out. My mom thinks it's still a swell place, even though she never sets foot there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 10:24PM by Pista.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:00PM

Church is a mentally unhealthy place to raise a child. You just don't realize it until shit starts happening when you are well down the road

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 08:00AM

It's a very good article.

One question: is the "ex-Mormon Richard Packman" quoted near the end really our "own" Richard Packham?

Tom in Paris

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:55AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> One question: is the "ex-Mormon Richard Packman" quoted near the end really our "own" Richard Packham?

Happens to me all the time.

My online article on this topic is at http://packham.n4m.org/children.htm
"Raising Children As Mormon"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 09:57AM by RPackham.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 10:13AM

I don't know. If you live in Utah (or Idaho or any Moridor area) and you know you are going to live there all your life and raise your kids to live in Utah all their lives and surround yourself with mormon friends and mormon neighbors and send them to highly predominant mormon schools, it might be a different situation. They really don't need to learn how to think critically, think for themselves, socialize in normal ways, have responsible relationships outside the normal mormon temple/dating rituals, or learn how to accept others who aren't poured out of the same exact mold you are poured out of. In fact, it could be harder on them to not be church attending morgbots.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.