Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: starr77 ( )
Date: November 14, 2014 08:41PM

Hello all! I just started posting on this forum for the first time last night by posting my entire LDS history on the Recovery Board... My bad!
Hopefully I don't get carried away with this post, but it's a complicated issue that weighs on me greatly.
A little background...

I'm a 30-year-old BIC apostate. I officially left TSCC when I was 16 years old, but I've had my doubts since early childhood.
As for my folks... Well, I've been baffled as to what to make of their behavior after both my brothers and myself fell away from the faith. I was the youngest, so after my brothers stopped attending, there was a lot of pressure on me to remain faithful. That just wasn't going to happen.
My father is a BIC/TBM (now MINO) from a long, strong line of Mormons with large presences in Utah and Arizona.
My mother converted to TSCC when she was a young teenager, left home for Utah when she was 17, met my dad there, and they married in the temple. She is also now MINO.
After they had the three of us, we were all "Sealed in the Temple". The whole bit.
My parents were very adamant about following some of the rules and regulations, yet very lax on others. For example, coffee was a major no-no, yet they didn't have anything to say about Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew. We were often allowed to watch "PG-13" and even some "R" rated movies, but they absolutely detested cursing and using "the Lord's name in vain". They weren't habitual gamblers, but they did participate and bought Lotto tickets weekly. Keeping the Sabbath holy was definitely not of huge concern.
One thing that was non-negotiable was attendance. We absolutely HAD to be in attendance EVERY Sunday, and MUST attend Mutual, Seminary, and everything in between. If we protested, there would be Hell to pay. I've heard it all; "Satan has a hold of you", "you've broken your brother Jesus' heart", "why aren't you more like the Johnson's kids?"... I just didn't understand why attendance was mandatory, when we were obviously just part-time Mormons, anyway. I really started feeling like it was more about putting on a Mormon face and fitting in than actually practicing it in our daily lives. After all, coffee was only a controversial drink until Starbucks came into popularity. Then they were pushing for me to get a job there. My mom just loves their hot chocolate...
The fact that I had no desire to fit in with the kids at church infuriated my parents, and my mother had a nasty habit of comparing me to other youth from TSCC or to my TBM cousins on my father's side since I was old enough for my parents to realize I was "different". She has kept this habit more in check since I've become an adult, but it still does slip out more often than it should.
Here is where it gets difficult for me to wrap my head around...
My parents completely stopped attending 15 years ago when I attempted to end my own life over the whole thing. I can't fully blame TSCC for my actions, since at the time I was prescribed Adderall and Zoloft simultaneously, so granted my hormones were a bit off.
After that drama, they hadn't been to church since.
Here's the kicker... They still claim to believe the Doctrine, and my mother still defends TSCC viciously. I've asked her several times why, since their faith is apparently still so strong, have they haven't gone back to church in over a decade. The excuse she ALWAYS gives me is "We just don't have the time." I try to explain to her how ridiculous that sounds, but she maintains it as a perfectly valid excuse. The last time I brought it up, she once again pulls out that excuse, but later on in the SAME conversation, she says "We would go if you came with us"... So basically they haven't had "the time" to go to church at all in 15 years, but if I went with them, they would magically find the time.
My father doesn't participate in these arguments anymore, but I know he still believes the BoM because of a time when I was watching "Ancient Aliens" at their house not very long ago, and he made the comment that "All these questions can be answered with the Book of Mormon." I don't know why I was so floored.
I've tried sharing my point of view with my mother, and she won't hear it. Once the subject of TSCC is in the hotseat, it doesn't take long for her to lose her temper and screaming very LOUD and FAST so I can't get a word in at all. The last time went so poorly, she reduced me to tears, screaming "ATHEIST!!!" repeatedly at me.
All for a church she hasn't attended in many years.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I'm at my wit's end. She will refuse to read anything I email to her since she refuses to "seek answers outside of the church."
Help..?
If anyone is interested in reading a more detailed account, you can read my post in the Bio board, "Experiences of an inactive BIC".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 14, 2014 09:06PM

When someone screams over your voice, communication is out. Take some time off.

Posted by: starr77 ( )
Date: November 14, 2014 10:06PM

That's for sure... I'm actually in the process of "time off" right now. I'm just worried about what happens when we come back around again. Most of the time, I do my best to avoid breaching the topic. No one LIKES getting chewed out, after all. But it never fails that she will eventually bring it up. It's hard not to react when she blames my illness (I have an autoimmune disorder), on me not having any faith. This conversation usually starts when she accompanies me to doctor visits. I realize that it's not true... It's just plain rude. I don't want to hear that during times of illness, whether I believe in it or not. We can't come across anything LDS related without it being a sign that I need to go back to the church. "I" being the key word.
What bothers me the most is that for some reason, it only applies to me, and not her. She's obsessed with ME returning to the church, when she refuses to do so herself.
Looks like I'm not done venting. :/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 12:54AM

When your mom pulls that on you, turn it into a "you" statement, i.e. "So you feel that people who have faith don't get sick?" If she states that she wants you to go to church, say, "You're saying that you want me to go to church." She's trying to make this about you. Make it about her and her feelings instead.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: November 14, 2014 10:30PM

It sounds like your parents are still children emotionally, and they are prone to throwing tantrums. Mormonism tends to infantilize people and prevent them from admitting to their own faults. The church turns them into hypocrites and Pharisees, and they are forever unable to see it.

Really, it's not you with the problem, it's them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 01:08AM

When I was a kid and heard about the Pharisees, I wondered how anyone could be like that--proud, haughty, judgmental and a slavish rule-follower. How could anyone be so hypocritical?

Well, I spent a lot of time living with my parents, and they answered all my questions.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2014 10:46PM

Maybe your parents will see something in the news about the church admitting that Joseph Smith had almost 40 wives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.